Sean's Picks of the Week (0307-0310) - Lots of D&D, Katanas & Trenchcoats, Fate High Magic

Slightly "short" week, due to me not getting back from Coast Con until late Monday (and, yes, failing to pre-load my Picks the week before). There's been plenty to be excited about, as the RPG equivalent of a Steam Sale got underway thanks to GM's Day. In fact, due to many publishers making it a week-long celebration, you still have time to get in on some great deals... but only just.

Slightly "short" week, due to me not getting back from Coast Con until late Monday (and, yes, failing to pre-load my Picks the week before). There's been plenty to be excited about, as the RPG equivalent of a Steam Sale got underway thanks to GM's Day. In fact, due to many publishers making it a week-long celebration, you still have time to get in on some great deals... but only just.

GM'S DAY YAWNING PORTAL BUNDLE

GM’s Day kicked off while I was at CoastCon, but the rest of this week represents ongoing sales and specials to celebrate what is arguably our biggest holiday observation in the gaming culture. Wizards of the Coast has Tales from the Yawning Portal coming in April, but they’ve put together an “Old School” bundle that shows you where it all came from in the earlier editions.

The set includes: C1 The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (1e); Dreams of the Red Wizards: Dead in Thay (4e); G1-3 Against the Giants (1e); S1 Tomb of Horrors (1e); S2 White Plume Mountain (1e); The Forge of Fury (3e); and The Sunless Citadel (3e).

Can’t wait for your copy of Tales from the Yawning Portal to arrive in April? Itching to see the seven tales that gave it life? Or just looking to fill out your collection of classic D&D adventures? In any case, wait no more!

Now, for nearly 60% off, get all seven of those original adventures and see what all the fuss is about.

KATANAS & TRENCHCOATS

In celebration of International Women’s Day, my Pick is one that features a number of top-notch women designers and writers within the RPG business – Tiara Lynn Agresta, Rose Bailey, Jennifer Brozek, Lillian Cohen-Moore, Crystal Frasier, Jess Hartley, Anna Kreider, Lauren Stone, and Filamena Young! It’s also one of the most badass concepts in gaming, and I anxiously await future installments!

Live the Dream of ’90s Roleplaying!

Do you yearn to portray the passionate and harrowing drama of awesome Immortals in a secret supernatural world? Does your heart sing the ancient aphotic melody of ’90s storytelling? Does endless fire burn within you to make an everlasting mark on this Darkest Cosmos? If you meet another Immortal in on a windswept street, do you fight with swords as your way of saying hello?

That’s because you’re a badass, and this book wants to be your best friend and squire. Katanas & Trenchcoats is your personal Egyptian Scots-Spaniard on this deep narrative journey. It presents for you—just you because you’re special—a totally unique system that isn’t at all ripping off countless other roleplaying games.

So gaze into this abyss, and let it gaze lovingly back. It wants to be a vessel for your truth. Open your heart and live the Immortal dream of the ’90s now!

What’s in this Action?

• A custom system that uses d10s. Mind: blown!
  • Rules for creating not just Immortals, but also Vampires, Werebeasts, Technomages, Ghosts, and the Fey-Touched!
  • An exciting setting: the supernatural capital of Darkest Vancouver, with callouts to other parts of the Darkest Cosmos.
  • Crave rules for sex and soundtracks? Sink your teeth right in!
  • Want your LARP fix? You’re welcome!
  • Why yes, there is a character sheet!
  • THE PREMIUM EDITION HAS: the name “Premium” in the title (so you know it’s kickass), a stat bump for your character just for having it, and it’s also watermarked because that means it’s totally custom to you.
  • AND MUCH, MUCH MORE! (If you need less, you can buy the Basic Edition.)

NERZUGAL'S GAME MASTER TOOLKIT

Nerzugal Role-Playing (aka Steven Williams) has come from seemingly out of nowhere (actually, he built a serious following on the Dungeon Masters Guild site before trying his luck on DriveThruRPG) to build a massive following among 5e fans looking for more good stuff to enhance their games. With the relative dearth of material coming directly from WotC, those making quality support stand a good chance of getting noticed, and this particular collection of dungeons, puzzles, and monsters is a favorite addition to the 5e DM’s library.

This is the second Toolkit I have created to help out Game Masters new and old for 5E. Similar to the first, you will find fully detailed dungeons and one-shot adventures, most of which can be dropped in any traditional fantasy world with minimal effort. This Toolkit also comes with 100 new monsters as part of Nerzugal’s Extended Bestiary with numerous unique creatures as well as expansions upon existing types such as centaur, kobold, ogre, orc, and even bullywug and includes beautiful artwork for 26 of these unique monsters! In all, the Toolkit contains 5 full dungeons, 5 one-shot adventures, 10 puzzles, 100 trinkets, and 100 monsters to help develop your world!

The Toolkit was created with both novice and veteran game masters in mind, giving detailed guides and walkthroughs that are easy to follow and can be dropped into most settings. So if you are just looking for some new monsters to throw at your party or if you are someone who has always wanted to try GMing but were afraid to go at it alone, there is something for you within the Toolkit!

For a look at the contents of the book check the previews to see the Table of Contents, one of the dungeons included, and a few of the monsters from the bestiary. If you are interested in monsters but not necessarily in dungeons or one-shots, you can purchase just the monsters for half the price of the full Toolkit.

The book was created using all black and white artwork except for the cover, so you don’t have to worry about losing out on critical content by choosing to buy the cheaper book option!

You can check out Nerzugal’s Dungeon Master Toolkit for free on the DmsGuild. This Toolkit is twice as long and the quality and content has been greatly improved. As of the time this is going live, my first book has an average rating of 4.8 and is one of the all-time best selling products on the DMSGuild, so you know you are getting a quality product when Nerzugal is in the title!

HIGH FANTASY MAGIC FOR FATE

Fate fans, whether focused on Fate Core or the more streamlined Fate Accelerated, have something new to be excited about – a “drop in” magic system with its foundations in the Core part of the rules. What’s really interesting is that I think those wanting a Mage-style experience in Fate will want to look at this because it eschews spell lists for a much more open-ended, creative approach to magic. Created by Nathan Hare, known for really useful Fate accessories.

“. . . [High Fantasy Magic] feels like the kind of thing that should have been in the Core rules – aspects for permissions, skills for actions, stunts for bonus stuff. Well done.” – Christopher Dolunt (Author of Savage Worlds: Rippers)

“. . . I like that it’s a very light touch on the existing skills and action system. Very good from my perspective of not bolting on lots of extras.” – Rory Bracebuckle (Author of Perilous Intersections)

High Fantasy Magic is a simple, freeform magic system designed for Fate Core and Fate Accelerated. Its goal is to be a drop-in magic system with a high fantasy tone while sticking closely to Fate Core and providing the same amount of flexibility in character creation and progression. There are no spell lists. Instead, the players can choose which types of magic they can use via a list of magic disciplines. Then, the players are encouraged to use the power they have in whatever creative ways they can think of. The freeform nature of this magic system allows for simple adjudication of the rules and a low barrier to entry. Whether you use it in it’s entirety or pick it apart as a toolkit, this is a great resource for magical, fantasy settings.

High Fantasy Magic includes the following:

• Simple rules to handle a wide variety of magical abilities
  • A list of magical disciplines
  • Tips for managing the varying potency of magic
  • Rules for animating creatures to your aid
  • Example stunts for magic users
  • Tons of examples

---
This weekend marks a major turning point for me, personally and professionally. Carinn Seabolt (Editor-in-Chief) and me are losing our Evil Beagle Games partner and roommate, Ross Watson, as he moves away to take on a new and very exciting opportunity. Tomorrow is an all-day celebration of our time with him as friends from all over the greater Denver area come by to pay their respects and wish him well. Yeah, probably some games, too.

Tonight, it's Prowlers & Paragons: Ultimate Edition with my friend Dave Forby running; I get to play one of my favorite steampunk-style gadgeteers, Doctor Omnibus as a member of the Knights of Neo-Denver. I really need to stop accidentally creating sentient mechanical lifeforms...

Sunday, Ross graces us with one final, epic Birthright 5e campaign session. That should be ... something.

Hope you have some great gaming planned for the weekend, and beyond.

The Adventure Continues!

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Remove ads

Remove ads