Why does fantasy dominate RPGs?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Oh we argue a lot about the "druids" in fantasy (and the witches, clerics etc) are all wrong. It just doesn't stop us from enjoying it anyway. Because it is all made up save the names. However, if the SL starts with totally nonsense science in a modern setting I'm out - it absolutely kills the immersion if chemical reactions are all wrong and basic medical facts not taken into account etc.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Oh we argue a lot about the "druids" in fantasy (and the witches, clerics etc) are all wrong. It just doesn't stop us from enjoying it anyway. Because it is all made up save the names. However, if the SL starts with totally nonsense science in a modern setting I'm out - it absolutely kills the immersion if chemical reactions are all wrong and basic medical facts not taken into account etc.

Haha, same here. Doesn't help that I studied both chemistry and physics... the head-desk is strong in this one.

I remember an exchange I had in a sci-fi session some years ago... DM: "This sun is glowing in a strong green hue" Me: "what, why?! How?! I want to probe it! There must be something interesting there!" Other player: "Why do you think so?" Me: "I roughly sketch a Hertzsprung-Russel diagram and show my crew that there is no natural way for a star to glow green" DM: "Ok, ok... you can probe it. You... err... find some strange radioactive traces, but it is really not that interesting. Really. Just... radioactive star stuff." Me: "Oh... okay."

I just... can't put my science aside :/

Derren

Hero
Haha, same here. Doesn't help that I studied both chemistry and physics... the head-desk is strong in this one.

That is a good point. In Sci Fi you often cant be sure if what the DM describes is extraordinary or just a gimmick without the DM realizing that it would not be normal.
This can happen in fantasy too, but is much more unlikely.

Derren

Hero
Just introduce a firearm into D&D and watch everybody insist on hyper-realism for just that weapon, but not for any others! :)
Whats more funny is that most peoples ideas of hyperrealistic early firearms have nothing to do with reality (armor piercing).

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
That is a good point. In Sci Fi you often cant be sure if what the DM describes is extraordinary or just a gimmick without the DM realizing that it would not be normal.

It is frustrating if you do insert something weird,fully knowing physics don't normally work that way, and expect someone to pick up on it. You even let the player of the science guy roll for it, yet despite good rolls the anomaly is just shrugged at and filed away "for exploration teams to handle."

By now I insist that someone playing a scientist/doctor etc at least knows the basics. Games run much smoother since, including Shadowrun.

DragonMan

First Post
As if most fantasy RPG players and designers understand swordfighting.

I didn't mean that a person needs to know how to do that skill in order for their character to do it. I meant that with a sword fighting, I know exactly what end result I can get. I know that a sword is swung and I'm trying to damage what I'm swinging at. With SF, I don't know what any high tech scientific skill does. And it is hard to articulate an action when I don't know what a technologically advanced skill can do.

Derren

Hero
I didn't mean that a person needs to know how to do that skill in order for their character to do it. I meant that with a sword fighting, I know exactly what end result I can get. I know that a sword is swung and I'm trying to damage what I'm swinging at. With SF, I don't know what any high tech scientific skill does. And it is hard to articulate an action when I don't know what a technologically advanced skill can do.

That I actually doubt. Many, if not most players, DMs and designers probably do not know how a swordfight looks like especially when heavy armor is involved. You do not swing a sword when the enemy wears plate or even chain as it would be useless.

Bluenose

Adventurer
That I actually doubt. Many, if not most players, DMs and designers probably do not know how a swordfight looks like especially when heavy armor is involved. You do not swing a sword when the enemy wears plate or even chain as it would be useless.

Strictly, some pommel strike manoeuvres involve swinging, and they're one of the rather few effective techniques against fully armoured enemies.

aramis erak

Legend
Just introduce a firearm into D&D and watch everybody insist on hyper-realism for just that weapon, but not for any others! :)

They're in the rules. 5E DMG p. 267.
Links to Boot Hill and Gamma World are in AD&D1e DMG 112-114...
In 2E, they're in PO:C&T and PO:C&T

In 3.x, in the DMG. 3.5, pages 144-146.

Most people don't use them, but they've almost always been part of the game.
And never hyper detailed, which may be why few use them.

Remove ads