D&D 5E Why D&D is not (just) Tolkien

How influential was Tolkien on early D&D, on a scale from 1-5?

• 1. Not influential/ minimal influence.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 2. Very little influence / no more important than other fantasy writers.

Votes: 19 10.9%
  • 3. Moderate influence.

Votes: 65 37.4%
  • 4. A great deal of influence/a large amount of D&D is borrowed from him.

Votes: 71 40.8%
  • 5. Exceptionally inflential/no D&D without him.

Votes: 18 10.3%

• Poll closed .

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Are people seriously arguing that the Ranger isn't heavily inspired by Tolkien? Seriously? Sure, the modern take on Rangers might be a fair distance away, but, the AD&D ranger? Really?

I am sure the Thief class is based off the character Jimmy the Hand from the Feist novels. I mean Jimmy shows all of the Thief abilities that you can almost hear the dice rolling!

=;o)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am sure the Thief class is based off the character Jimmy the Hand from the Feist novels. I mean Jimmy shows all of the Thief abilities that you can almost hear the dice rolling!

=;o)
I think Prof. Barker has some IP theft from Feist to answer for as well.

Caliburn101

Explorer
Really? I'm "so well known for" that? Show me then. Lots of people don't agree with me. If I'm so well known for accusing people of attacking me personally when they don't agree, then I'm sure it will be easy for you to find examples.

Or more likely, this is just another strawman from you. You made an insult to me personally, not my argument. That's a fact. If you don't want people saying you attacked them personally, then I'd suggest you not do that.

It's one of your 'facts'.

I suppose me adding Treents to the list of 'completely bloody obvious Tolkien facsimiles in D&D' is just another invalid part of my argument?

I don't make strawman arguments - so if you advocate people wasting their personal time mulling over thread posts by others to prove their point like they are writing a paper on it - pull all the non-existent strawman arguments you claim I repeatedly make and publish a book or something.

Don't expect anyone to buy it though - unless they want to use the blank pages for writing down campaign notes...

Last edited:

Caliburn101

Explorer
Well, I was trying to assume that this was an accurate recounting, and coming up with possible explanations in good faith!

Normally, when an anonymous commenter on the internet says that something is true because of a private conversation that only they were privy too, and I have not seen any other independent sourcing, I am more inclined to simply disbelieve that person.

For example-
"I was at a convention, and Joss Whedon told me that he originally wanted to replace Robert Downey Jr. with Martin Sheen as Iron Man in the Avengers!"

I would assume that the likeliest explanation, given no external corroboration, is that there was maybe some ...miscommunication or overstatement.

Now, perhaps I am wrong. I do not know everything. If you are aware of some other sourcing for your claim outside of this private conversation, please let me know! I love learning more history, and what you are saying contradicts everything that I am familiar with regarding the origin of the turn undead ability (and, for that matter, the Cleric). It also seems somewhat bizarre given that EGG had a repeated habit over decades, on and off the record, of minimizing any attribution to Tolkien, so it would seem especially odd that he would attribute something to Tolkien that others have not attributed to him, and that the extant knowledge places the ability pretty firmly with Arneson, Blackmoor, and Sir Fang. Not to mention EGG's documented dislike of the ability (which was grandfathered in from Blackmoor),

So at this point I am assuming, absent further details that I am unfamiliar with, that you either misunderstood what EGG was saying, or that one of the other reasons I listed might have happened. But, again, if I have misunderstood what I assume to be fairly well documented history (well, as well as most of this is), please enlighten me.

You missed the focus of what I was saying and have added extra scope to the question posed by the OP by doing so.

We were talking about inspirations of ideas that had come into the game. At no point do I recall him saying these were HIS ideas - he was talking about D&D. So if Arneson brought something in then there was no attribution one way or the other in that conversation.

Consider how many times have you heard people speaking about a game or campaign in terms that attribute the events to the characters or the game, and not the people playing it? It was inconsequential to me about the 'who' at the time so I didn't ask, and I cannot recall him offering such detail off his own back.

Anyway, I am tired of having a more than 20 year old conversation I have very fond memories of picked apart by the cynicism of the overly-delicate and being passive-aggressively accused of making it up. I have recalled as much of it as I honestly can, so I'm done with this thread.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
So there's four possibilities as I see them, and I think I was pretty gentle in providing you an opportunity to clarify what you were saying!

1. You're lying. Either this conversation never happened, or the conversation did happen and you are choosing to embellish it with things that weren't said. I've really tried to avoid saying that until now.
2. You misunderstood what EGG said.
3. EGG was confused, wrong, incorrect, vindictive toward Arneson/Blackmoor's role in the game, or just being nice to a fan at the end of a long day. I certainly allowed for those possibilities.
4. I have no idea idea what I'm talking about. I just gave you that possibility! Really. Perhaps there is extrinsic evidence that I am unaware of. Perhaps what those contemporaneous accounts that we know about the Cleric class, Arneson's campaign, etc. (all of which I gave you so that you google it yourself, including specific terms like Sir Fang) are incorrect. I love learning more about the history, and since this is the first time I've heard an alleged account of this coming from a person who was around at the time (as opposed to people who don't know the history incorrectly speculate about it), I would love to know more.

Here, allow me to bold this for you-

You have made a specific claim that Gygax has said to you something that contradicts the Established View(tm) of D&D history. If this is accurate, it's kind of important! If it's not accurate, it would be nice if you could clarify that. Jus' sayin'. Because I like to know the history, and this isn't just a small thing.

I see another possibility here as well - that this is actually pretty small potatoes, people claim credit from each other all the time, and you're pretty much stepping over the line into dick behavior.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Gygax could have said that Lord of the Rings was formative to his reading, but I don't see how. He was born in 1938. The Lord of the Rings was not published until the mid-50's.

And worse, Gygax was American, LOTR was not generally available in the US until Ace books bootlegged it in 1965...just in time for it to be adopted by the counterculture. It's understandable that Gygax would be antipathic to LOTR; here's a near 30 year old man who has been reading great fantasy and scifi by the likes of Anderson, Howard, de Camp, and Burroughs suddenly inundated with Johnny Come Latelies who suddenly discovered fantasy exists with their discovery of Hobbits.

It's pretty much how I feel about Game of Thrones and "Big Bang Theory".

Remove ads