Sean's Picks of the Week (1030-1103) - Finders Keepers Week!

This was Finders Keepers Week, a celebration of product lines and categories dedicated to supporting Pathfinder and Starfinder players and Game Masters. As the first entry below explains, the focus here is a series of things a GM or player might delve into for a consistent set of enhancements for their gaming. With so much 3rd-party support, most folks appreciate having product lines to rely upon, rather than one-offs that might otherwise throw off the balance of the game.

This was Finders Keepers Week, a celebration of product lines and categories dedicated to supporting Pathfinder and Starfinder players and Game Masters. As the first entry below explains, the focus here is a series of things a GM or player might delve into for a consistent set of enhancements for their gaming. With so much 3rd-party support, most folks appreciate having product lines to rely upon, rather than one-offs that might otherwise throw off the balance of the game.

GIMME A ROLL (PF/SF ADVENTURE SUPPORT)

The recent releases from my friends, Chris Sturts and Eniko Sturts of Gimme a Roll, on DriveThruRPG inspires Finders Keepers Week, dedicated to sets of products to help you enhance your Pathfinder and Starfinder gaming experiences. The gimmick here will be lines and packages of products, rather than a single release (though one product in the set may get the spotlight).

The Sturts are actually doing a subscription box kind of thing – everything you need for a full adventure in one set (adventure, characters, miniatures, maps). The quality of the writing and adventure design, as well as the maps, meant a lot of us thought they should also make these parts available via PDF channels… so they did! They’ve got four great products out now – three for Pathfinder (with are also 5e compatible) and one for Starfinder.

Adrift

When the crew of the Sanguine Raptor discovers it’s Drift Engine blows in the middle of travelling, they find themselves thrown out somewhere into deep space. The damage to the ship and crew are catastrophic – causing the death of the Captain as well as dozens of fellow crew members. With only a few survivors remaining, important questions must be addressed.

How badly damaged is the ship? Where are they? Is there Drift tech this far out of known space? As the Raptor’s engines give their last, the remaining crew find themselves…adrift.

This is the first in a monthly series of adventures featured in Gimmearoll.com GM Toolkit. Get a full adventure for 4-5 players of 1st level complete with full color maps in a tile print and full 12×18 format.

TOTAL PARTY KILL GAMES PATHFINDER STUFF

Nothing is more terrifying that a TPK, so it felt right to feature Total Party Kill Games for today’s Finders Keepers Week selection. TPK Games has a rather extensive line of Pathfinder support products, and they are considered by many fans to have some of the consistently best 3rd party stuff for the system you’ll find anywhere. This includes adventures, new class options, gear packages, and pretty much anything and everything you could want for enhancing and expanding your PF campaigns.

Who are TPK Games?

​Total Party Kill Games are publishers of tabletop roleplaying and card games. We publish thrilling dark fantasy sourcebooks and adventures for the Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder and Savage Worlds RPGs along with publishing our own popular party card games and unofficial expansions for Cards Against Humanity.

LEGENDARY PLANET SERIES (STARFINDER)

The Starfinder setting and support series Legendary Planet (by the appropriately-monikered Legendary Games) makes a fine addition to this week’s Finders Keepers list. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen this much support material for a newly-released game since the original advent of the OGL.

(From the Legendary Games website, discussing the initial launch of the product line) –

Launch day is here for the newest sci-fi sensation, the Starfinder Roleplaying Game, and Legendary Games is right here for you! First and foremost, you can kick off the amazing Legendary Planet adventure saga, To Worlds Unknown for Starfinder! From an interplanetary prison break and race against time, you land on a crossroads world and a corrupt city-state where rival gangs, powerful factions, and deadly alien scientists surround you on every side and your next mistake in whom to trust could be your last! You can grab this 100-page adventure book, including new monsters, magic items, technology, detailed gazetteer and bonus campaign setting material, and an ongoing fiction saga by award-winning author Chris A. Jackson…

This initial adventure will take your Starfinder characters from 1st through 5th level, and the sequel is already nearly ready for you in The Scavenged Codex (Starfinder), when your heroes start their search for a way home first by brokering a deal with inhuman interplanetary gangsters before plunging into an apocalyptic world of blasted deserts dotted with seductive oases, all in search of ancient alien wisdom that can restore the stargates of old!

Next week also will bring the Legendary Planet Player’s Guide (Starfinder), featuring four brand-new playable races for the Starfinder Roleplaying Game, with the towering four-armed tretharri, the cybernetic auttaine, the clever winged zvaar, and the green-touched chlorvians, as well as information on classes, races, religion, and unique campaign traits! Even players and GMs not using the Legendary Planet saga will find great information here they can use in their own spacefaring campaigns.

Likewise, our line of ready-to-play planets for the Starfinder Roleplaying Game kicks off later this month with the Legendary Worlds series, each one with a detailed history, geography, and society of a brand-new world, as well as new creatures, feats, spells, equipment, and more! From the slag-seas of the foundry planet of Volretz to the tainted oceans of Melefoni where the aquatic natives war in their supermersibles against the survivors of a fallen colony ship, and many more following in rapid succession!

Farther down the road, you’ll find new technology in the Treasury of the Machine, awesome adventure and plummeting peril aboard a long-range explorer ship hiding a horrifying menace in Starfall, android bounty hunters and mutant cultists in the radioactive ruins of a crashed starship in Scorpions of Perdition, and so much more.

Starfinder is here, and you know we will help Make Your Game Legendary Starfinder-style!

KOBOLD PRESS PATHFINDER PRODUCTS

Kobold Press (originally Open Design) is one of those houses that just consistently does impressive, high-quality stuff featuring the talents of the best in the industry. Wolfgang Baur has a lot to be proud of, and that definitely includes the entire line of Pathfinder products his house has created. That’s why he’s got today’s spot for Finders Keepers Week.

From their Wikipedia page –

Wolfgang Baur launched Open Design in 2006. Open Design funded projects using a crowdfunding model dubbed “patronage,” with the resulting products available exclusively to backers through PDF releases and limited print runs. The first product published by Open Design was Steam & Brass (2006), a steampunk-themed adventure module using the d20 System. Steam & Brass was also the first product set in Baur’s setting of Zobeck, later known as Midgard.

In 2007, Baur launched Kobold Quarterly through Open Design, which filled in the gap in the role-playing industry left by the end of Paizo Publishing‘s run on the magazines Dragon and Dungeon. Unlike previous projects from the company, Kobold Quarterly was available to the public. Kobold Quarterly ran for 23 issues, with the final issue produced in October 2012.

Open Design began to shift away from a focus on the “patronage” model in 2008, releasing titles such as the Zobeck Gazetteer (2008) to the public, and began publishing products entirely outside the “patronage” model in 2011, including a series of game design guidebooks. In 2012, Open Design began producing books under the imprint “Kobold Press”; by the end of the year, the company had ceased publishing as Open Design and exclusively published products as Kobold Press.

NEW PATHFINDER CLASSES

There is no discussing Pathfinder and Starfinder support lines without bringing Owen KC Stephens’ Rogue Genius Games. Dude has an inside track, to be sure, and most fans look at everything RGG publishes as official as anything from Paizo. Today’s Finders Keepers Week Pick focuses on one of the many series of books they do for PF fans – New Pathfinder Classes.

(From The Opportunist, one of many such books in the series -)

The Opportunist is a new hybrid class of the barbarian and rogue designed for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. It is a melee combat class that draws upon unerring accuracy and almost preternatural foresight to capitalize on your opponents’ wrong moves, and deal catastrophic damage.

Take advantage of dozens of new talents, feats, archetypes, and spells including: Give a little to get a little, tireless overload, and bareknuckle master.

-----
Darryl Mott already posted about this, but I feel I must further celebrate my departed friend, Michael Satran.

This was a special game of Freedom Squadron I ran for Michael Satran and Michael Surbrook, as they were visiting for our local big gaming show, Genghis Con. Satran brought his usual enthusiasm, quirky sense of humor, and excellent roleplaying to the experience. I am heartbroken that we will not share any more such gatherings. I wrote the following shortly after I learned of his passing -

Michael Satran was sometimes a difficult person for folks who did not know him to connect with or grok. In the early days, this caused a lot of complicated interactions - including with me.

For some, this remained a barrier to really bonding with him... which is a damned shame for those who never overcame it, because Michael is one of the kindest, most generous, and most encouraging people I've ever had the honor to call "friend."

I have been personally very much a beneficiary of his kindness and generosity, and I will always call him "Brother."

Ross Watson wrote this most excellent tribute for our fallen friend.

Cherish your gaming fellowship, folks. They are precious, having shared stories and adventures the likes of which no one else will understand. You never know when you may have an empty chair you did not expect.

The Adventure Continues!

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads