D&D 5E Chris Cocks WotC CEO interviewed by RollingStone

darjr

I crit!
In Dec RollingStone interviewed Chris Cocks the CEO of WotC and among other things (Transformers CCG?) he talked about D&D. He mentioned how they had their best sales in November having sold out and how they're working hard to replenish supplies.

Also of some interest is the number of video games they have in the pipeline. I wish they would talk more about them. I'm sure he was including the latest neverwinter nights version. Anyway it's a short article and covers Magic, and Avalon Hill, and that new Transformers CCG.

port nyanzaru.jpg

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel...ind-dd-magic-and-avalon-hill-innovate-w514703

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Interesting to see that TV series was mentioned as an option.

Tip for other thread readers: the image is the link to the article!

ad_hoc

(they/them)
He mentioned how they had their best sales in November having sold out and how they're working hard to replenish supplies.

3 1/2 years in having their best sales month is huge. 5e is continuing to gain momentum where most editions sell core books and then struggle.

I hope WotC stays the course through the release of the movie.

darjr

I crit!
Somewhere someone said they’d like D&D to be like Monopoly. An evergreen set that they can use as a baseline. But something steady and eternal like a staple.

Somewhere someone said they’d like D&D to be like Monopoly. An evergreen set that they can use as a baseline. But something steady and eternal like a staple.

I'm pretty sure every RPG publisher wants that, but actually having it work (so far) is impressive!

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Erm its only been going for 3.5 years, 1E made it to 12 years (maybe 13) while basic was around for around 19/20.

. . . and everything since then has been lucky to make it 3 without petering out. The fact that 5e - in the face if stiff and increasing competition from other RPGs, let alone other forms of entertainment - has had sales increase is insane.

Y'all can keep on with your constant doom & gloom, though. It seems to do something for you, somehow.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

The rules need to be pretty perfect for that, they're close but I think a 6th edition will dial it in...

Of course the story is nobody actually plays Monopoly by the rules... So perhaps it's good enough! :)

darjr

I crit!
Actually I think a “perfect” rule set is in opposition of a good one. I think the success of 5e is some proof of that.

Remove ads