Acquiring books (but not reading them)?

Mercador

Adventurer
Hello,

Mods: Not sure I'm into the good subforum, feel free to move away or lock plain and simple.

Since 4-5 years now, I noticed that I purchase a lot of tabletop rpg books but I don't read them, or not a lot. I was playing a bit of Pathfinder as a DM but not that much. I wonder why I "need" to purchase those books and when I got a new one, I'm looking for another one 2-3 months later, even if I haven't read the last one I've purchased.

I have the money to purchase them, but not really the time to read them. However, even when I have some spare time, I would like to read them but simply don't do it.. :|

Does it ring a bell to some of you?

Thanks!
(and sorry for any english errors)

ajevans

Explorer
Yeah.. standard :D

Most are bought with good intentions - I will buy this, then read it, then use it. But only just over half get read, and a much smaller proportion actually get read.

Then there are those books where I buy because I like the line of books they're in but don't need them yet. E.g. I buy all the One Ring books because I like the One Ring, but haven't felt the need to read half of them yet.

Also there's Kickstarters. Excited at the time of backing, by the time the product arrives, my interest has wavered slightly and I already have a huge pile of 'to read' books.

delericho

Legend
Does it ring a bell to some of you?

Sort of. Since the dawn of 3e, I'm made the effort to at least read every RPG book I've purchased, no matter how tortuous the writing may be.

However, the fraction of the material that has actually seen use is minuscule.

And despite that, and despite having had a set of shelves literally collapse under the weight, I'm still having a hard time reconciling myself to getting rid of some of those books that have never (and will never) seen use. :)

Oh yes, that’s a familiar experience. Of late, I’ve been trying to do better. Instead of just plunking down and watching something, I try to at least spend a little time reading my RPG book backlog each day. Even if it's just for 5-10 minutes, I find that I’m happier for it.

Even if I don’t use everything I read, I tell myself that it helps inspire me and helps me develop as a DM. Whether that’s true or not, who can say? Hopefully my players…

Mercador

Adventurer
I think I'm trying to recreate my imagination back when I was a 8-10 years old boy. When I read books like those, my imagination runs wild. The issue is; I buy them but I don't read them... I wonder why.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
You are not alone. RPG publishers have long relied on book "collecting" (vs actually using or even opening) to sustain sales.

I realized I was doing this years ago, and have made various attempts to stop. I do also force myself to sell untouched books. But I also have books and other games products that just seem cool, even if I haven't really spent much time with them.

Mercador

Adventurer
Then I should find out why I continue buying them if I don't need them; what's the publisher gambit behind all this, there's obviously a marketing thing behind it.

Starfox

Adventurer
Those who have time don't have the money.

Those who have the money don't have the time.

Both want to enjoy the hobby, so we maintain the dream either by too many purchases, or by freeloading on the net. I find it completely natural.

Mercador

Adventurer
Those who have time don't have the money.

Those who have the money don't have the time.

Both want to enjoy the hobby, so we maintain the dream either by too many purchases, or by freeloading on the net. I find it completely natural.

When I was a teenager, Internet didn't exists. And I was living in a small rural town, so I had to create my DnD books myself hehe

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases