How often do you use the Inspiration rules?

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
So, I've been playing a fair amount of 5E lately, at an FLGS that rather incredibly has eight tables that are reliably packed with D&D players every week. I've noticed that most DMs are using a house-rule-they-don't-seem-to-know-is-a-house-rule (got to be a shorter way of putting that, but you know what I mean, someone seems convinced "it's in the book somewhere" when you know damn well it isn't) for Natural 1 = Critical Failure. Personally, yuck. I think I've reached a point where I like Critfails to be possible for enemies, but not PCs. Then again, this is informed by the fact that I am in all other respects a merciless killer DM whose dice luck clearly thirsts for the lives of players. I've also noticed that everyone rolls for damage and no one uses the average damage provided in monster stat blocks. This is whatever, I just find it interesting that no one's going for the average damage option when it's so out front.

And I've noticed that no one uses the Inspiration rules. At all. Ever. I've even tried to be a proactive player and point out the excellence of my roleplaying to my alignment, personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws, all of which put me in quite a dangerous in-game situation, and got a half-apologetic weak sauce "we don't really use it that way". For the most part, players seem to self-police in terms of their PCs' roleplaying, and DMs seem too busy with every other aspect of playing to worry about granting inspiration. If 5E hadn't gone to the trouble of baking the Inspiration mechanic and traits' into the core game and character creation, it's really weird people are ignoring it. To me, on a game design level, Inspiration, ideals, bonds, and flaws are the main thing that distinguish 5E from other editions (other than that, it's a lot like 3.5X with all the numbers cut way down to size and characters put back on the RNG, which is fine by me but I digress).

How often do you use Inspiration in your D&D 5E game? I tried to make this a poll but I did not see the option. Anyway, literally never? Once every few sessions? At least once a session? Or do you reference characters' traits, ideals, and bonds about as often as you reference the combat rules? And is it always awarded by the DM or are players encouraged to remind the DM to give it out when the DM may be forgetting?

Very curious, thanks.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Here's how I use Inspiration in my games: The Case for Inspiration. It easy. It's intuitive. It's low overhead for the DM. It leads to great results.

In my games, players earn Inspiration 20 to 25 times in a given session. Their characters are coming through loud and clear.

The inspiration rules are that you gain an Inspiration Point when the DM tells you that you gain an Inspiration Point. If they never do so, then they are still following the rules-as-written-and-intended.

Personally, I tried giving them out for one session, but then we dropped it. It adds complexity, to no real benefit, except that it makes things less predictable for the players.

S'mon

Legend
I give it out maybe once a session on average - for cool stuff, or (very rarely happens) when a player points out they are RPing a trait/bond/flaw. 95% of the time I give it out for cool roleplay without reference to what their character sheet says.

The big problem with the system IME is that I as DM do not have your TPFs memorised, so unless
you tell me, I won't know.

guachi

Hero
I'm an iserith disciple when it comes to Inspiration. Inspiration encourages people to play their character as a person and not just stats. But this isn't a movie and I'm not a director so who am I to say you're playing your character right or wrong? It's your PC. You get to decide.

Sure, the mechanic might be dissociative (is that right?) because the connection between playing your flaw and getting advantage on an attack roll is tenuous. But I don't care because if the party is getting into their characters and as a result they are stomping on the challenges it probably means they are telling an exciting, memorable story with their roleplaying.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I give it out at least once per every session, more often four or six times.

I wish my 5E DM would give it out more than once per campaign: "You're about to fight the boss; you may need this."

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I give each character Inspiration 2-3 times per session, but I totally and completely ignore the Traits, Bonds, Flaws, Etc. It is absolutely ridiculous to expect the DM to remember 5 characteristics about each and every character, and be on the lookout for them constantly. For my next campaign, I am considering the [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] method or something very similar, to address this problem.

I also allow Inspiration to stack, mainly so that you can still be rewarded for roleplaying even if you already have Inspiration. I also find that players tend to take riskier, more ambitious actions if they are sitting on a big pile of Inspiration. This helps the game move along faster.

jgsugden

Legend
I was excited about the mechanic when 5E came around. I bought clear plastic d20s with another d20 inside to hand out as inspiration when I DM... but I quickly found that nobody really cared about it. Other DMs consistently do NOT use it. When I give it out, players forget to use it. It just isn't sinking into our minds as part of the game.

Retreater

Legend
I don't use it. I started off trying to use it, but it's just gotten forgotten. Same with backgrounds, ideals, bonds, flaws, etc. We just roleplay our characters. I've tried re-writing the inspiration rules, giving out tokens to remind the players, all to no avail.
I'm just chalking it up to a "fiddly bit that doesn't really matter" (similar to diagonal measuring in 3.x).
Next time I start a 5e game (which might be a while), I'm cutting it. Along with revising the action economy (move and actions only), changing advantage and disadvantage to a +2/-2, and possibly removing hit dice (another thing almost never used).

Remove ads