Aquatic creatures: Saltwater vs. Freshwater list, what if one enters the other?

Satyrn

First Post
I feel that worrying about this might hinder game play a bit. However, hand-waving it completely might be unsatisfactory ("Why is there a shark in the lake?". . .
Heh. Yeah.

My megadungeon had a lake feed by a couple rivers of water and a river of lava. The lava boils off the water, and I figured that would result in the effective destruction of a lot of water in the dungeon, so I needed a source of new water to replenish it. My solution was to place part of the megadungeon underneath the ocean, and create a crack in that ocean floor that pours water into the dungeon. And of course, ocean life would be sucked right in, too.

That's why there a shark in the underground lake.

I've since introduced more rivers flowing into the dungeon. These ones are fresh water, and so are less likely to be shark infested.

Unfortunately for the OP, I haven't gotten around to making my Fresh Water Encounter table significantly different from the Salt Water Encounter table. There only difference is that the chance of encountering a shark has been cut in half on the Fresh Water table, replaced by a greater chance of a land beast (drinking, playing, hunting).

Oofta

Legend
Leave it to Australia to have killer sharks in a golf course.

Fits in to their slogan: "Come to where everything is trying to kill you!"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, Americans would have drained the hazard and gotten rid of them. The Aussies turned them into a tourist attraction.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Reply to OP.

My dad wasn't too pleased with 5e's lack of distinction between salt water and fresh water breathing monsters either, so in his campaign, he houseruled that the monster trait Amphibiousness applies to freshwater, while "Semi-Aquatic" (homebrew trait where you can breath both air and saltwater) applies to saltwater.

So for example, bullywugs would have Amphibiousness, sea elves would have Semi-Aquatic, and sahuagin (which in his setting are based on salmon) would have both traits.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Wait, so sahuagin swim upstream to breed, leaping majestically up waterfalls? This I gotta see.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Wait, so sahuagin swim upstream to breed, leaping majestically up waterfalls? This I gotta see.

Pretty much. Most of the other players referred to it as "the invasion of the horny fishmen".

My old lizardfolk PC (and the rest of his tribe) knew it as "free lunch day".

Transitional: (These are the ones that can live in either, but take a while to adjust) Kuo-Toa, Merfolk, Merrow, Sahuagin, Sea Hag (yes I know it says SEA hag, but a lot of adventures have them in lakes and such)

I would probably assume Sea Hags are sufficiently supernatural to not have to care about adapting, since hags are fey.

Merrow might be the same way, because of abyssal mutation; if they can survive in the seas of Demogorgon's abyssal layer, I'm not sure freshwater/saltwater is going to matter much.

Any other creature not listed can survive just fine in either water. (E.g. Aboleths -- they are covered in mucous; Chuul -- they are covered in chitin;

I agree that aboleths and chuul shouldn't have to care about it, but I'd say that's more because they're aberrations and don't work off of Earth biology. The skin covering really shouldn't matter, since a water-breather is still going to be taking in the water around it.

I'd say that only beasts and humanoids (and maybe giants, if there are any aquatic giants, and possibly the less supernatural monstrosities and oozes) should have to care about stuff like this. Anything non-living (constructs, undead), of a planar nature (celestials, elementals, fey, fiends), or highly supernatural (aberrations, dragons, most monstrosities etc.) should ignore it.

Remove ads