[5e] Rakshasas cannot be counterspelled (mostly)? Is that how you would play it

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Without clarifying the way the spell works ahead of time, I think you open up yourself to the possibility for dissatisfaction and a rules debate during what sounds like is an important moment in the adventure or campaign. I suggest doing what you can to head that off at the pass.

Yes, that's the risk. The answer, is likely just to present it as a general rules discussion (which, essentially, it is) nice and early - and see how everyone takes it.

The funny thing is - 7/8 of the group would be just fine with this without discussion (I've been DMing them for a long time and am 100% certain). the 1 that wouldn't be (ok without discussion) is the one that's likely going to be the one with counterspell by the time this comes up.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't see counterspelling used often enough for this to mean that the creature is effectively any nastier. Rather like being immune to a damage type the PCs rarely produce isn't notable.

How often are your PCs trying to counterspell things?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Aside: Be sure to give the rakshasa a shield guardian that has donned a shield of missile attraction.

Shield guardians are fun as add-ons to antagonists - right up to the point where the PCs prevail - and now they have a shield guardian.

Seriously though - I actually was thinking of putting one in their path at some point. If for no other reason than to have to come up with fun and interesting ways to then destroy the darned thing.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Shield guardians are fun as add-ons to antagonists - right up to the point where the PCs prevail - and now they have a shield guardian.

Seriously though - I actually was thinking of putting one in their path at some point. If for no other reason than to have to come up with fun and interesting ways to then destroy the darned thing.

No problem - the object used to make the master's amulet of the shield guardian is a necklace of strangulation which triggers when worn by a humanoid, a fact the PCs can uncover sometime before they ultimately confront the rakshasa. Try to claim that shield guardian it at your own peril!

Mort

Legend
Supporter
No problem - the object used to make the master's amulet of the shield guardian is a necklace of strangulation which triggers when worn by a humanoid, a fact the PCs can uncover sometime before they ultimately confront the rakshasa. Try to claim that shield guardian it at your own peril!

OK that's thoroughly rat-bastard DMing. I approve.

D1Tremere

Adventurer
I am unsure as to why Crawford would say that, as the spell as written does NOT target a creature. It allows the caster to attempt to interrupt a creature in the process of casting a spell. This could be interpreted or described in a lot of different ways, most of which do not need to target anything (as is written).
My opinion, ignore Crawford's advice on this one and play it as written.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I wouldn't rule that way based on the wording. As [MENTION=6775031]Saelorn[/MENTION] says, it feels like a technicality and I just refuse to read 5e that way.

However, I'd totally rule that way now because it sounds like a fun exception for this creature.

I think counterspell would work with wands, based on what Jeremy said in the above quote.

Crawford said:
Counterspell targets a creature casting a spell, no matter the source of the spell (the creature, an item, etc.)

And most wand descriptions say expend a charge to cast X spell. Such as

DnD Beyond said:
This wand has 7 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast the lightning bolt spell (save DC 15) from it.

As far as the rakshasa, it does say targets a creature, and the rakshasa is immune to spells (counterspell) 6th level or lower.

So rakshasa is immune, wands are not.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases