Is RPGing a *literary* endeavour? - Page 146
Page 146 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4696136137138139140141142143144145146147148 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1474
  1. #1451
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    San Mateo, California, USA
    Posts
    1,263
    Quote Originally Posted by pemerton View Post
    Is anyone seriously suggesting, on the basis of this post, that Hriston thinks that word choice never matters to human conversation? or that rudeness ("being a jerk") can't affect human communication?
    Hey, if you have questions about anyone's assertions about who is or isn't a jerk, then please take them up with Ovinomancer, not with me. That's his topic, not mine.

    If you want to defend the rigorous factual accuracy of Ovinomancer's assertion "Literally no one in this thread has said otherwise", then good luck with that. I doubt that you'll earn his gratitude; but I've been wrong before.

    Quote Originally Posted by pemerton View Post
    Is anyone asserting, on this basis, that speaking loud enough to be heard or choosing the right word to accurately describe something is an aspect of literary quality?
    If no one was before, then I am now. Speaking loud enough to be heard, and choosing the right word to accurately describe something, are aspects of literary quality. A poetry reading which fails on either or both of those qualities, will fail as a literary event. Speaking loud enough to be heard is not a relevant quality to *all* literary projects, but it applies to some literary projects; choosing the right word to accurately describe something applies to many and to most literary projects.

    Quote Originally Posted by pemerton View Post
    Or in other words, is anyone asserting...
    The thing about those different words, is that they form a different assertion, which does not necessarily follow from the previous assertion. Why conflate such different assertions?

    My question stands unanswered: is light a particulate endeavor?

    This question is a trap. Understandings of light which only consider it as a particle are incomplete. Understandings of light which only consider it as a wave are incomplete.

    So far as I can tell from this thread, understandings of RPG which depend on whether the narrative aspects are primary over the framing aspects, or vice versa, are not useful understandings of TRPG.

    I've learned from several of the exchanges in this thread. Not because the title by itself is a useful question; but because many people have done their best to bring useful understandings to bear on it.

  2. #1452
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    9,375
    Quote Originally Posted by lowkey13 View Post
    That's because it's tagged with Homebrew.

    The only homebrew I partake in better get me wicked messed up.

    I don't want my homebrew to make me read about exploding toads ... I want my homebrew to make me SEE exploding toads.

    *hic*
    I hear licking exploding toads can get you there, too.
    Laugh lowkey13, Satyrn laughed with this post

  3. #1453
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Ovinomancer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    4,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley37 View Post
    Hey, if you have questions about anyone's assertions about who is or isn't a jerk, then please take them up with Ovinomancer, not with me. That's his topic, not mine.

    If you want to defend the rigorous factual accuracy of Ovinomancer's assertion "Literally no one in this thread has said otherwise", then good luck with that. I doubt that you'll earn his gratitude; but I've been wrong before.
    In your unseemly haste to get your digital boot in, you seem to have forgotten the context of my remark. Here it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imaro View Post
    Sooo... Are you agreeing that how content is presented can determine whether people wish to engage with it?
    Your saying @Hriston's actually said that how content is presented cannot affect if people wish to engage with that content. It's the only way that you can keep this e-peen wagging contest going. Well, okay, then. Yours is the biggest. Really. None larger.
    XP Hriston gave XP for this post
    Laugh Sadras, Aldarc laughed with this post

  4. #1454
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by lowkey13 View Post
    "I can't frame that. There's loads and loads of things you just did that might as well be magic!"

    You see where I'm going with this, yes? So when you ascribe positions on the hierarchy, it's necessarily from the position you have now; as you would put it, your aptitude bias.

    It is somewhat difficult to fully grok the ways in which you have internalized the techniques you use, and how they impact your game... things that you now think of as merely incidental to framing, but which are both necessary and a predicate.

    Since we both watch sports, I will use an analogy- a lot of people enjoy criticizing sports commentators (pick your sport, say, football). But have you ever tried to do it yourself? IT IS INSANELY HARD. Or, just watch an amateur calling a high school game on local access. With reps, and time, people eventually get good at it. They learn when to speak, when not to speak, when to let the images create the drama, and when to fill in space (blowouts, say). After a while it becomes second nature. For many, it is automatic.

    And yet, it is there.
    Ok, so I understand your position. So I guess I just have a few questions/thoughts:

    1) Why cant Aptitude Bias run the other direction (as so many do); overestimating the importance of a honed Skill-set or natural affinity?

    2) In the last several years on these boards, weve seen a LOT of instances of people who are articulate, well-read, tenured GMs struggle significantly in one or both of (a) framing interesting scenes that hook into PC dramatic need and (b) evolving the scene dynamically post resolution such that the situation changes and requires a new decision-point to be navigated.

    In these cases you saw overwhelmingly (c) people say they had a bad time and (d) the system sucks (rather than taking ownership to get better at a and b).

    3) In the last 2 years, Ive GM-workshopped (say in on games or outright taught) 3 adults and a couple of early teens on Dogs in the Vineyard, Dungeon World, Strike(!), Mouse Guard, and 5e. Only one of them is articulate and comfortable speaking. But weve focused on broad scenario design, how to think about interesting scenes that hook into play premise or PC flags, how to be forgiving of yourself and take a moment to ponder as you need to, how to develop shorthand and use note cards as personal cues. None have reported what happened in 2 above outside of the games Ive sat in on, and the games Ive sat in on were fun and well-paced despite often quite imperfect exposition. When things didnt work, weve reflected upon it (or theyve reflected to me) and its overwhelmingly something akin to the idea I had sucked or this idea for what happened after x would have been much more exciting. My guess is you think this is because we focus on that in the workshopping?

    4) Do you think Dungeon/Hex design > scene framing/post resolution evolution > skill in exposition/oration all hook into the same bandwidth?
    XP Aldarc, Sadras, pemerton gave XP for this post

  5. #1455
    Member
    A "Drizzit" Type-Thing (Lvl 28)



    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    The Stately Pleasure Dome of Xanadu.
    Posts
    7,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Manbearcat View Post
    Ok, so I understand your position. So I guess I just have a few questions/thoughts:

    1) Why cant Aptitude Bias run the other direction (as so many do); overestimating the importance of a honed Skill-set or natural affinity?
    Good question!

    And the answer is .... because then it wouldn't be aptitude bias as you are calling it.

    I don't mean that to be snarky; but to give you the appropriate analogy (with a bit of a joke that is so appropriate here), think of the framing bias (framing effect). The framing bias exists when people are presented options, and those options are given with positive or negative semantics.

    However, it wouldn't be correct to say that the framing bias "runs in the other direction" and that people OVERESTIMATE the importance of presenting options with positive or negative semantics.

    One is a cognitive bias that refers to how a person can't see how they are biased; the other refers to the belief that a cognitive bias is stronger than it might be. We'll call it projection, but it's not a cognitive bias, akin to framing or anchoring.

    It is kinda meta though ... the cognitive bias of overcompensating for cognitive biases.

    2) In the last several years on these boards, weve seen a LOT of instances of people who are articulate, well-read, tenured GMs struggle significantly in one or both of (a) framing interesting scenes that hook into PC dramatic need and (b) evolving the scene dynamically post resolution such that the situation changes and requires a new decision-point to be navigated.

    In these cases you saw overwhelmingly (c) people say they had a bad time and (d) the system sucks (rather than taking ownership to get better at a and b).
    I can't comment on that, as I haven't seen that. I mean, if I say that I have seen people on these boards complain overwhelmingly that games fail because of personality conflicts at the table and a lack of communication and social awareness, does that mean that the real purpose of RPGs is to solve out-of-game personality conflicts and deal with out-of-game communication issues and social awareness?

    Not trying to fight your point, but I haven't seen it- IME, games tend to fail for a multitude of reasons, most related to out-of-game issues and lack of communication, not issues of improper application of RPG theory. And we get to such vague terms that I'm not even sure how to respond.

    But I honestly don't even know how someone can frame interesting scenes that hook into PC dramatic need and then evolve the secene dynamically without some modicum of narrative skills, including collaborative narration and fiction creation.

    So I keep going back to the same points- I don't understand the need to either disambiguate skills in such a manner as to create hierarchy, other than to rubbish playstyles don't agree with (what is framing, Alex?), and I also don't see the need to create a one-size fits all style for RPGs, when we can easily see that we do, in fact, have various systems that play to different strengths.

    To use an analogy again, demanding that every film be shot according to Dogme 95 misses the point of film.

    3) In the last 2 years, Ive GM-workshopped (say in on games or outright taught) 3 adults and a couple of early teens on Dogs in the Vineyard, Dungeon World, Strike(!), Mouse Guard, and 5e. Only one of them is articulate and comfortable speaking. But weve focused on broad scenario design, how to think about interesting scenes that hook into play premise or PC flags, how to be forgiving of yourself and take a moment to ponder as you need to, how to develop shorthand and use note cards as personal cues. None have reported what happened in 2 above outside of the games Ive sat in on, and the games Ive sat in on were fun and well-paced despite often quite imperfect exposition. When things didnt work, weve reflected upon it (or theyve reflected to me) and its overwhelmingly something akin to the idea I had sucked or this idea for what happened after x would have been much more exciting. My guess is you think this is because we focus on that in the workshopping?
    I would again go back to That Mitchell & Webb Look skit. It's not just a focus, it's also your standards and heuristics.

    I am guessing (assuming) that by your standards, they aren't particularly articulate or comfortable speaking. There are skills learned with reps, over time. That's how you gain comfort. Again, that's why RPGs in general, including D&D, can be so helpful to people on the autism spectrum.

    I mean, when I started playing RPGs, I wasn't articulate or comfortable speaking. But the games were still FUN because I was playing with friends, and it was generally a good time, and we were forgiving.

    And over time, I got BETTER at certain things, including framing, which requires .... narration. Because all TTRPGs require talking.

    And I see this with the groups I am teaching. Over time, they get more comfortable speaking. They get more comfortable narrating their fictions. And it's awesome.

    4) Do you think Dungeon/Hex design > scene framing/post resolution evolution > skill in exposition/oration all hook into the same bandwidth?
    ? Not sure what you mean.


    See also- this post:

    https://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...=1#post7619891
    Last edited by lowkey13; Friday, 14th June, 2019 at 03:35 PM.

  6. #1456
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxperson View Post
    I hear licking exploding toads can get you there, too.
    That glorious feeling I'm feeling right now? It's not because my local basketball team won a basketball tournament. All my time wasted in this thread had just paid off. I've just struck gold. GOLD! Black and gold chequered, hallucinogenic exploding toads. But it's not just when you lick them. Anyone caught in the explosion must make a Wisdom to avoid tripping out.


    The next time my players face goblins is gonna be insane.
    Laugh Maxperson laughed with this post

  7. #1457
    Member
    A "Drizzit" Type-Thing (Lvl 28)



    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    The Stately Pleasure Dome of Xanadu.
    Posts
    7,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyrn View Post
    That glorious feeling I'm feeling right now? It's not because my local basketball team won a basketball tournament..

    Hockey was my sun, hockey was my earth
    But the Leafs didn't know all the ways I loved them, no
    So the Raptors took a chance, made other plans
    And I bet the Warriors didn't think that Durant would come up injured, no
    Drake don't need to sing, he don't need to tweet
    I already know, I watched Fred VanFleet
    Now there's just no chance
    With me and the Leafs
    There'll never be
    Don't it make the Leafs sad about it?


    The NHL told me it loves me
    Why did hockey leave Canada all alone
    Next season the Leafs will tell me they need me
    To renew my season tickets on the phone
    Leafs, I refuse
    You must have me confused with some other guy
    The bridges were burned
    Now it's your turn, to Kawhi


    Kawhi me a river
    Kawhi me a river
    Kawhi me a river
    Kawhi me a river
    Last edited by lowkey13; Friday, 14th June, 2019 at 06:59 PM.
    XP Satyrn, Maxperson, Lanefan gave XP for this post
    Laugh Sadras laughed with this post

  8. #1458
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    San Mateo, California, USA
    Posts
    1,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Manbearcat View Post
    Ok, so I understand your position. So I guess I just have a few questions/thoughts:
    I sense the presence of some useful angles on the questions at hand. I also can't sort out the meaning of some of your sentences. I'm amused that I'm having this problem, in a conversation which has gone round and round on form versus content. I want to understand your points.

    In #2: In how many of those cases, did the GM have a strong track record of success with systems they knew well, then struggle while running another, new-to-them system?

    (If that's the issue, then I have further questions about GMs applying fundamentals in familiar systems versus in newly-learned systems.)

    In #3: What is GM-workshopping? Does it involve GM A watching GM B prepare a scenario and then watch while GM B runs a table? Is it one-on-one, or a group activity?

    In #4: are you using > to mean "greater than", or to mean "and then as subsequent steps in a process", or something else?

    Thanks!

  9. #1459
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    San Mateo, California, USA
    Posts
    1,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyrn View Post
    The next time my players face goblins is gonna be insane.
    DMG has optional rules for Sanity as a stat, for campaigns with Sanity Loss as a horror mechanic (*cough* Call of Cthulhu *cough*). A bad trip could cause Sanity loss.

    One of the PCs in my regular group has profiency with alchemy kit and an interest in the mushrooms of the Underdank which includes recreational usage. He's a Light domain cleric, whose go-to offensive action is channel divinity as Radiance of the Dawn. When he's been eating those particular mushrooms, Radiance might also be a dazzling, trippy light show. We've speculated on whether he could craft a spell which imposes hallucinogenic intoxication on others across an area, "Mass Chill Out", sort of a combination of Calm Emotions with Hypnotic Pattern.

    You've now given me the idea of secondary explosions - that is, once one person starts tripping, that person then relays a psychic splash effect onto others nearby, possibly with ripple effects to tertiary and quaternary targets.
    XP Satyrn gave XP for this post

  10. #1460
    Member
    Titan (Lvl 27)



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    20,745
    @Riley37, you didn't answer my question as to what you think it adds to the thread to insist that @Hriston said something that he didn't, on the basis of attributing a meaning to his words that they were not intended to bear, and which no reasonable reader of them in the context of their production would impute to them.

    As to your question about light, light isn't an endeavour of any sort. It's a natural phenomenon. Unlike RPGing, which is an endeavour; and which is framed in the OP as an aesthetic endeavour (subsequent posts have noted classic dungeoncrawling as an exception; as best I recall no poster has disputed that framing or the exception), and which therefre has goals and features that contribute to quality, success, etc.

    Unlike the case of light, it's therefore not a category error to ask whether RPGing is literary endeavour, any more than it would be a category error to ask whether theatre or film-making is a literary endeavour, and whether the qualities that make for good theatre or cinema are essentially literary qualities.

    On speaking loud enough to be heard: of course if one can't be heard at the recital, it will not succeed. That doesn't make adequacy of volume a literary quality. If it rains and the noise of the rain on the roof drowns out the speaker, or the roof leaks and the audience all leave as a result, that will also cause the event to fail; but that doesn't make architecture or roofing a literary quality.

    The general points are (1) that not all necessary or faclititive conditions for the success of a literary endeavour are, in virtue of that, lliteary qualities; and (2) that not all necessary or facilitative conditions for a successful RPGing session pertain to the character of RPGing as an aesthetic endeavour. And - as per my example of mathematics teaching not far upthread - the converse is true, also. Teaching mathematics doesn't become a literary endeavour just because doing it well requires thinking about words in something like the way a writer might. RPGing can be more fun with snacks; that doesn't make RPGing a culinary endeavour.

    Anyone who thinks that RPGing is sui generis as an aesthetic activity of necessity agrees with the "no" answer in the OP, although perhaps not for the same reasons.
    XP Hriston, Aldarc gave XP for this post

Similar Threads

  1. (Traveller) Great Rift Adventure 2: Deepnight Endeavour
    By Mongoose_Matt in forum Publishers, Promotions, Press Releases, DMs Guild, & Kickstarter Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Friday, 19th January, 2018, 11:18 AM
  2. Endeavour Class XI Cruiser
    By Morrus in forum EN Publishing, WOIN, ZEITGEIST, WotBS, & Worlds of 2000AD
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Tuesday, 20th October, 2015, 06:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •