What do you look for in a good tabletop gaming chair?

Jack Burton1

First Post
My table is perfect but my chairs are uncomfortable and mostly broken garbage. I'm looking to upgrade my chairs, make the gaming table physically inviting.

Any suggestions for where to find good, comfortable chairs for long stretches of tabletop gaming?

MarkB

Legend
You could look for local sellers of used office furniture. The requirements for being able to sit at a desk or around a conference table for several hours at a time match up well with the requirements for sitting around a gaming table.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I’m not sure I look for qualities any different to any other chair!

Well, I imagine most of us don't have dedicated spaces with purpose-designed gaming tables, either. Out dining rooms and living rooms are serving as gaming spaces, so the chairs have to serve general purposes.

Some of the makers of gaming tables, however, make chairs to match. They are *EXPENSIVE*.

One thing that I have looked for in gaming chairs in the past is chairs that are rated(?) (advertised? marketed?) as being capable of supporting a good amount of weight. Some of the people that I game with are quite large, and I want to make sure that the chairs that I have in my gaming space are capable of supporting them.

Unfortunately, such chairs are typically quite expensive.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
First, I'm assuming you are talking about TTRPGs and not video games.

I don't like kitchen chairs or other chairs not designed for long periods of sitting.

I bought a bunch of office chairs through Craigslist when a local business was downsizing. That's also how I got a big, heavy conference table for my gaming area. Office chairs have advantages over other furniture when it comes to tabletop gaming:

1. They are designed for long periods of use at a desk or table and are more ergonomic.

2. They are height adjustable. That's not important for a chair for lounging or sitting back to watch TV and is not so important for a dinning room, but when you have a gaming table where people need to look at maps, papers, and other items displayed on the table, you will want it at a comfortable height.

3. Wheels. Being able to easily move the chairs around is nice. Makes it easy to scoot over during a battle scene, or scoot forward to let someone buy if space gets tight, and make it a bit easier to get up from and down in.

Some things that I look for in TTRPG chair that differs a bit from a computer or other "work" chair. When sitting at a computer to work, I don't want arms on my chair. They feel in the way. But I appreciate them at a game. It is just more comfortable to sit back comfortably without having to put your elbows on the table. I might go a bit smaller. The chairs I have a decent sized with a full back, but they are not huge executive chairs. Perhaps if I had more space and a huge table, but for most set ups, really large chairs are not practical.

An easy to overlook option is that many office chairs have a rocking-lock lever to allow or prevent it from leaning back. Some people want to learn back in their chairs. Some hate it when the chair tilts backwards when they lean back. I sometimes like it one way and other time the other. It is nice to have a way to set the tilting behavior.

There are, however, some downsides to office chairs.

The biggest is that they don't stack. Previously, I used nice folding chairs. They had a nice padding and comfortable back, but they folded up and could be stacked. Office chairs work best when you have a dedicated gaming space.

My gaming space doubles as a craft space and work area that we use for everything from school projects, making cardboard camp weapons, painting miniatures, or putting a foosball or air hockey top up. So the chairs are always there and it works well. There are times however, when I'll like to clear out some or all of the chairs for some project and there is no convenient location to roll them to. Also, they are heavy. If I need more seating up stairs, I need to break out the folding chairs. I'm getting too old to be risking my neck lugging heavy office chairs up and down the stairs.

One other problem is that they are harder to clean. Most fold up chairs are made for banquets, etc., and are designed to be easy to clean. Dining room chairs tend to be all wood for the same reason. Office chairs can look pretty bad, especially if you buy cheap ones. Make sure to get chairs with durable and easy to clean fabrics and patterns that will allow a small stain to kind blend in and disappear in the patterns.

Here is a picture of the chairs I'm using now:

IMG_0296.JPG

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm a huge fan of these chairs. Or maybe it's just the people in them... Anyway, it seems they're not gonna get used again :(

titansgrave-the-ashes-of-valkana-set.png

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm a huge fan of these chairs. Or maybe it's just the people in them... Anyway, it seems they're not gonna get used again :(

View attachment 106100

I have a chair of almost the exact same design in my game room. The last game we moved it up to the end of the table because we had larger group. While comfortable to sit back in, you'll want a clip board or something because having to sit forward in it to look at items on the table is not comfortable. Also, they work better with a low coffee table like that pictured. If you are using a kitchen table or conference-room table, or a buffet table, you'll be too low to comfortably look at maps and terrain, especially in my case as I use a horizontal digital display on top of the table that increase battlemap height another 6".

Lastly, with furniture like that, I worry about spills and wear. I want my friends and I to be comfortable and not to be overly concerned about eating and drinking at the table. I also have two young boys, so it is hard to keep ANY furniture looking nice.

Critical to a gaming area (for me): no carpet, a very scratch resistant table surface (or a surface you don't care about scratches, scuffs, and marks), moveable and modular furniture, easy access to power outlets, easy access to counter and refrigerator/cooler.

Remove ads