Players 'distressed' by gang-rape role-playing game

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrm1138

Explorer
And that's the problem with "mature content" warnings. It still could be anything. I mean, I could run an adventure that's one big dry examination of existentialist philosophy and call that mature content.

Camus: The Plaguening

A bit of a tangent, but I couldn't help but be reminded of this:

adult themes.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/TommySiegel/photos/a.814196891929314/2889711161044533/

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's worth noting that the player who originally raised complaints about this game absolutely disputes this account of the events. I understand the need to defend oneself after the fact but I find this harder to believe than UK Expo not doing their due diligence.

Yeah. That's why I put the "if", and taking him precisely at his word. I mean, even if the best literal interpretation of his story is still a problem... there was a problem. That game should not have happened.

HJFudge

Explorer
Yeah the whole 'Woah there, I didn't mean they were RAPED. They just were naked tied up with sore bums and that obviously meant they had explosive diahrrea, why would anyone think anything else happened?' defense is kinda BS

Sounds very much like someone realizing they are in deep doodoo and trying to walk back what they did, grasping at any straw they can.

I'm all for hearing both sides of the story. But yes, even if you believe his account of events its very hard to believe his account of intent. And when the best case you can make for yourself is gross incompetence, its probably not a good thing.

There is a tendency for a certain group of people to try and downplay and hush up or minimalize any account of sexual assualt or wrong doing. From 'oh we just shouldnt talk about this anymore, it was handled' to 'Oh no he didnt mean THAT, he meant this totally other innocent thing!' This kind of mindset is terribly disappointing and to me it really showcases why we DO have to really discuss these incidents still.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Why does the image of Kevin Rolfe look familiar? Is it just coincidence, or has he been in other controversies?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I still don't see this group as an event within an all-ages, general-audience gaming conference, assembled on a walk-in basis.

Yeah, this. I once ran, with unanimous consent, a sword & sorcery game in which sexual violence was explicitly on the table-- for my brother, my ex-girlfriend, and a married couple. It was one of the very best games I've ever run, and one of the very best scenes in that game would have (rightly) gotten at least three of us banned from any socially responsible Con for life.

I also had to stop playing with a former acquaintance of mine, because he'd somehow divined a number of unpleasant facts about my childhood and was deliberately using them to make me uncomfortable in every game we played.

Games with Mature content require greater player buy-in and consent than less controversial fare. And some topics are just more Mature than Mature, and require an even higher degree of due diligence to make sure "yes" really means "yes".

There is a tendency for a certain group of people to try and downplay and hush up or minimalize any account of sexual assualt or wrong doing. From 'oh we just shouldnt talk about this anymore, it was handled' to 'Oh no he didnt mean THAT, he meant this totally other innocent thing!' This kind of mindset is terribly disappointing and to me it really showcases why we DO have to really discuss these incidents still.

At the very least, we need to keep discussing this specific incident until either absolutely everyone knows not to let this guy run public games, or until there is a genuine apology that indicates he understands he did something very wrong, why it was very wrong to do, and why he did it.

But also yes... we need to keep discussing these things until everyone who has not personally experienced them acknowledges the fact that many, if not most, gamers have.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads