D&D General The perfect D&D edition (according to ENWORLD)

G

Guest 6801328

And thats fine.

But a good leader can inspire because they are charismatic. They don't have to be someone that the other person has a personal connection to.

It is like a well orchestrated musical piece performed by a great musician. You cannot HELP but have the notes and music move you. Much as a passionate orator can inflame the crowd. It doesn't require a person to consent, it just happens. This is what makes such people quite powerful...and quite dangerous.

So when a person is fighting, and feels as if they can't go on...and the man who knows how to move worlds with the right words comes in and says 'Get up'...your body responds. Regardless of choice.

Again, this happens in real life too...and doesn't need personal connection, it doesn't require consent. It is just how our emotions and brains are wired...some people can pull on those strings.

As to the deeper point of 'I just wont listen when someone tells me to strike cause I don't let others tell me what to do!'...okay. If you'd like to play that way, that is your right. But that is reason #1 that one of my character creation requirements at my table is 'You can have any kind of character concept you like within the bounds of the world/system, but you will be part of a team. You arent 4-5 lone wolves. You rise and fall together, and your characters need to accept that and have to reflect that in their concept.' Some people don't enjoy playing that way, and that is fine. There are other tables who can cater to their lone wolf needs.

All of the above is true....AND that's what some people refer to as "loss of player agency". Just because the Warlord abilities are benign (get HP, make a bonus attack, etc.) philosophically they are equivalent to, say, rolling Persuasion to force a fellow PC to go along with your plan.

Now, some people are totally fine with that. Some of us are not.

G

Guest 6801328

And I think of it as "My ability to play a warlord in no way inhibits your ability to play a grump who doesn't find people inspiring." Just like if you're a paladin who doesn't want a necromancer to cast buffs on you, because they're dark magic or something.

You really don't see the difference? It's not that the Warlord prevents me from playing my character as I want, it's that it makes assumptions about how my character views the Warlord.

And, sure, I can be a jerk at the table and refuse to play along with that. But, as I said previously, it's not really about what might happen to me personally at the table. It's that I think the concept is antithetical to an important underlying principle of the game.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I couldn’t create this, because I don’t have the 4e experience to capture the mechanical feel, and know nothing about the cosmology of 4e.

4e mechanics are often under the hood in 5e - there are design paradigm differences and assumptions that are far more different than those however and it shows in character building and general competence. BUT that could be a very very huge post and worthy of its own thread or so.

Some have said one might be able to embed a lot of the above by building a set of 4e classes for 5e. (But that might be too cosmetic I think)

However, I am confident I could create the worst edition of DnD, according to ENWorld:

Chain mail bikinis
Go back to THAC0
Grid based only with tons of stackable conditions
Who needs lore when you have minis
No rule can be deviated from
Monsters are just stat blocks
Individual XP progression based on class
Magic item trees for everyone!
Only non magical healing, and lots of it. Mostly though shouting.
The only classes would be bard, paladin, fighting man with emphasis on the man, clerics who can’t use most weapons, and magic users with 1d4 hp and suck until level 9, when you then give them the DM guide and just let them do whatever they want.
Gender based stat adjustments.

LOL
I am sure you forgot something in there...
but its such a good start you would be forgiven.

Aldarc

Legend
All of the above is true....AND that's what some people refer to as "loss of player agency". Just because the Warlord abilities are benign (get HP, make a bonus attack, etc.) philosophically they are equivalent to, say, rolling Persuasion to force a fellow PC to go along with your plan.

How exactly are you losing player agency with the Warlord abilities? :erm:

Let's say that a wizard casts a spell on you that gives you Improved Invisibility. Have you lost agency because you are "forced" to play (temporarily) as a character who is invisible and takes advantage of that? If a cleric cast Bless on you, have you lost agency because you now have a bonus to attack rolls? If a bard gave you Inspiration, have you lost agency because you now feel compelled to utilize it? If a monk knocks an adjacent enemy prone and the enemy stands up, have you lost agency because that triggered an opportunity attack for you? Have you somehow lost agency if someone provides advantage with the Help action? Or maybe you have lost agency when you take advantage of the ranger's group travel?

Honestly, [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION], the grounds for your opposition to the Warlord and loss of agency is kinda absurd and unfounded by any actual sense or meaningful understanding "player agency." You even seem to recognize this when your sole point of "yes, but..." is that it would make you look like a dick for refusing, though that ship will have probably long since sailed for the rest of your group by then.

You really don't see the difference? It's not that the Warlord prevents me from playing my character as I want, it's that it makes assumptions about how my character views the Warlord.
How? :erm: None of the 4e Warlord abilities dictate how other players view the Warlord. If they do exist, you will be cherry-picking an exceedingly negligible amount of their abilities in the context of the class as a whole. So really, that represents a hang-up of your own design that is only in your head and removed from the actual class as written.

Also could we have a list of class and subclass options that would cause you to get up and leave the game? Then we can see just how reasonable or absurd your position actually looks, especially if you want to be consistent with your reasoning.

Yaarel

He Mage

The word ‘ally’ can be a formal keyword. Define as follows:

• ‘An ally or friend is any willing creature that you choose, including yourself.’
• ‘A hostile or foe is any unwilling creature that you choose.’

Now, every time a Warlord power affects an ‘ally’, the ally can freely choose to become unwilling in order to stay out of the effect of the power, or willing in order to opt in to the effect.

As such, there is no loss of agency.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
What 4e calls a ‘leader’, I would divide into ‘defender’ (AC, healing, etcetera), ‘mobilizer’ (movement, positioning), and ‘empowerer’ (attack, damage, etcetera).

The 4e ‘controller’ and 4e ‘defender’ are both including ‘immobilizer’ (preventing hostile movement).

G

Guest 6801328

Let's say that a wizard casts a spell on you that gives you Improved Invisibility. Have you lost agency because you are "forced" to play (temporarily) as a character who is invisible and takes advantage of that?

No, because the magic makes me invisible. It does not specify feelings I must hold regarding the Wizard, or the emotional reaction I have to his casting.

It's really not a hard concept to understand.

Honestly, @Elfcrusher, the grounds for your opposition to the Warlord and loss of agency is kinda absurd and unfounded by any actual sense or meaningful understanding "player agency." You even seem to recognize this when your sole point of "yes, but..." is that it would make you look like a dick for refusing, though that ship will have probably long since sailed for the rest of your group by then.

I believe you just called me a dick.

I think I'll leave this conversation now. It's increasingly clear to me, based on your responses, that you (plural) don't understand what I'm saying, although you clearly think you do. And I'm not sure whether that's because I'm doing a particularly bad of explaining it, or whether it's because to acknowledge the argument would undermine a deeply held conviction. But either way it doesn't seem to be improving.

Tony Vargas

Legend
You really don't see the difference?
You really don't see the similarity?
It's not that the Warlord prevents me from playing my character as I want, it's that it makes assumptions about how my character views the Warlord.
As long as the mechanics aren't malformed, and the ability functions based on how you decide your character feels, rather than "forcing" that feeling on you, there's no issue. You can decline the benefit.

The only difference between that and the religions differences is that it's the /player/ consciously declining the benefit, vs the character verbally declining it in the fiction.

And, sure, I can be a jerk at the table and refuse to play along with that.
There's a hypothetical "don't be a jerk" unwritten rule out there, but I don't think that declining a benefit for RP reasons qualifies.
But, as I said previously, it's not really about what might happen to me personally at the table. It's that I think the concept is antithetical to an important underlying principle of the game.
An important underlying principle of the game is that the party works together to overcome challenges. It strongly supports that principle.

I think the principle you're talking about is more specific to the classic game, and, especially to 5e, and is derived from Player Agency concerns. When the DM holds virtually all agency over the game, and Player Agency is tightly circumscribed to making decisions for his own character, /any/ external agency that intrudes on that, even indirectly, by offering an inducement, can be concerning.

I wouldn't call it an underlying principle, though. More an emergent concern in some eds.

See above. It's not /just/ hypothetical with the warlord, it's already an issue with Inspiring Leader, social skills, backgrounds, saving throws, and even something as unalterably core as having a CHA score, at all.

That's why some DMs rule that CHA skills can't be used 'against' other players.

Let's say that a wizard casts a spell on you that gives you Improved Invisibility. Have you lost agency because you are "forced" to play (temporarily) as a character who is invisible and takes advantage of that?
Traditionally, the D&D community gives total dispensation of all possible complaints about a mechanic, so long as it's modeling magic. Because magic.

If a bard gave you Inspiration, have you lost agency because you now feel compelled to utilize it?
Grey area. Has the jury ever delivered a verdict on whether Bardic Inspiration is magical?

If a monk knocks an adjacent enemy prone and the enemy stands up, have you lost agency because that triggered an opportunity attack for you? Have you somehow lost agency if someone provides advantage with the Help action?
No, because it didn't affect /your character's internal life/ in any way.

Honestly, [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION], the grounds for your opposition to the Warlord and loss of agency is kinda absurd and unfounded by any actual sense or meaningful understanding "player agency."
The concern should be more than adequately addressed so long as the player can decline a benefit if he deems his character is 'not feel'n it.'

You even seem to recognize this when your sole point of "yes, but..." is that it would make you look like a dick for refusing, though that ship will have probably long since sailed for the rest of your group by then.
But for internet anonymity, he'd've watched it vanish over the horizon years ago. I suspect he's a very different fellow in person, and sincerely doesn't want to seem like a jerk at the table.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I think I'll leave this conversation now. It's increasingly clear to me, based on your responses, that you (plural) don't understand what I'm saying, although you clearly think you do. And I'm not sure whether that's because I'm doing a particularly bad of explaining it, or whether it's because to acknowledge the argument would undermine a deeply held conviction. But either way it doesn't seem to be improving.
I think it's pretty clear. You think having absolute agency over your character's mental state is an important organizing principle of RPGs. It isn't. You have agency to narrate reactions as to how your character might react to externally imposed mental states, but not absolute agency as to refuse to accept them.

I know you don't agree with this, but let's be clear: That's your hangup. And accepting that a fellow PC might be a decent guy worth listening to in a tight spot is a pretty darn small amount of agency to cede. I mean, does mastermind rogue cause that same amount of agita when he uses the help action to give you advantage? "Gosh darn it, I don't accept your PC is actually smart enough to help me in combat!"

G

Guest 6801328

Ok, I'm not quite done yet...

You can decline the benefit.

...it's the /player/ consciously declining the benefit, vs the character verbally declining it in the fiction...

...declining a benefit for RP reasons qualifies....

When the DM holds virtually all agency over the game, and Player Agency is tightly circumscribed to making decisions for his own character, /any/ external agency that intrudes on that, even indirectly, by offering an inducement, can be concerning.

See above. It's not /just/ hypothetical with the warlord, it's already an issue with Inspiring Leader, social skills, backgrounds, saving throws, and even something as unalterably core as having a CHA score, at all.

That's why some DMs rule that CHA skills can't be used 'against' other players.

Traditionally, the D&D community gives total dispensation of all possible complaints about a mechanic, so long as it's modeling magic. Because magic.

...so long as the player can decline a benefit if he deems his character is 'not feel'n it.'...

So, you DO seem to get it, after all. If I'm parsing the above correctly, you understand about 95% of the argument I'm making, and your conclusion is "But you can decline the benefit, so there's no loss of player agency."

Yes, that's true. And I probably shouldn't have gone down the road of countering that argument with "...but I don't want to be a jerk."

The better answer is that I shouldn't have to. That the entire reason I'm opposed the Warlord (or, at least, the version that's fluffed so that he has non-magical influence over his peers) is that I don't think this theme fits well with the D&D idea of "ensemble of co-equals". (I'm still not sure of the difference between "co-equals" and "equals", but we'll save that for another long thread.) So, yeah, I can refuse to include that option. I can refuse to play at tables that include it. I can refuse to allow the abilities to affect me when I do.

But I probably wouldn't do any of those things. I'd probably just roll my eyes and deal with it.

Because the real point is that I don't think that particular concept should be in D&D. Again, not with that particular fluff.

You know, a good analogue might really be the rapier. I can't stand the rapier. Yes, I think it doesn't fit thematically, but that's not the real reason. Yes, I'm sick of dual-wielding dexadins, but that's not the reason. The real reason is that it's the poster child for the interchangeability of Dexterity and Strength, which I think was a bad change in the game. I wish rapiers weren't in the game. If they weren't, and people on the forums were demanding their return, I would chime in and say, "Hey, I think this is a bad idea." And I wouldn't be doing it to selfishly impose my will on others. I would be doing it because I think they would represent a change in the underlying philosophy of the game that would make me enjoy it less.

But for internet anonymity, he'd've watched it vanish over the horizon years ago. I suspect he's a very different fellow in person, and sincerely doesn't want to seem like a jerk at the table.

As I said above, I don't think that arguing against something that one believes represents a detrimental philosophical shift in the game is being a jerk, or that it's imposing one's preferences on others.* Especially since the horse has long ago left the barn, and I have no influence over WotC anyway. I'm sorry that some of you see it another way.

*EDIT: Heck I'm being GENEROUS by trying to save you all from catastrophic consequences you apparently are unable to see. Maybe I should change my username to Cassandra.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases