D&D 5E How do you handle ranged attacks into melee?

Satyrn

First Post
No, it was just that if you hit someone with enough momentum left over the arrow may go straight through them. Yeah, that's it. :uhoh:
I mean, that would be awesome!

I still haven't handed one out, but I've got a laser gun modeled on the Borderlands Presequel that targets every creature in a line out to the weapon's normal range. (I think I chickened out a little in the design and made that effect require expending a charge.)

Shiroiken

Legend
When a character declares an attack that might have cover due to another creature, I inform the player and allow them to decide another action or target (or to move to a better spot, if able). It's normally half cover, but if 2 or more creatures are in the way, I grant 3/4 cover. My players know that I use the "Hitting Cover" variant, so they're cautious, but not too cautious.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
We use cover. If the enemy is the same size or smaller as an ally in melee, the enemy gets +5 AC (3/4 cover), if the enemy is one size larger than the ally, it gets +2 (1/2 cover). If the enemy is two sizes larger or greater, it gets no benefit from the cover your ally might provide. If the attacker rolls a 1, they reroll to hit their ally applying the same bonuses as in their attack.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
We give cover if a creature that is allied with the target is in the way, but not if the attacker's ally is in the way. We just assume you can yell "Frank, duck!" and then shoot.

5ekyu

Hero
I use the default half cover +2 for creatures unless we have something like the jello cube filling z corridor. Instead of comparing AC if the attacker tolls a 1 they hit the cover creature.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
We give cover if a creature that is allied with the target is in the way, but not if the attacker's ally is in the way. We just assume you can yell "Frank, duck!" and then shoot.

So, what, you Ready your attack until it is Frank's turn and he ducks, then use your reaction to make a single attack against your target? Sort of limits things if you have Extra attack...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, what, you Ready your attack until it is Frank's turn and he ducks, then use your reaction to make a single attack against your target? Sort of limits things if you have Extra attack...

What? No. If that were the case, I'd have said so.

We just assume that this happens within the rather large space a character takes up in combat, during the attacker's turn, and don't worry about it any further. In other words, you allies can provide you cover, but your enemies cannot.

Fanaelialae

Legend
What? No. If that were the case, I'd have said so.

We just assume that this happens within the rather large space a character takes up in combat, during the attacker's turn, and don't worry about it any further. In other words, you allies can provide you cover, but your enemies cannot.

Yeah, this is how I run it as well. Your allies cooperate with you and stay out of your way. Enemies don't.

We don't play it as literally yelling "Duck!" typically. Rather, Frank is circling the enemy's right side in order to give you an open shot from the left (for example).

S'mon

Legend
I like how 13th Age solved this problem, which was that if you're firing into melee and you roll a 1, you have to reroll the attack against your ally in the melee instead.

I use RAW cover, plus if there is no clear path past an ally I'll warn that on a 1 the shot will be rerolled vs ally. Usually this can be avoided via positioning.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases