Tech levels for my sci-fi world?

Mercurius

Legend
First of all, I'd check out futuretimeline.net - you should find lots of good stuff there, and maybe even the answer to most of your questions if you comb through everything.

But as far as details go, it is hard to answer because there are so many routes you could take. Scifi tends to be optimistic, but we currently live in a world that is perpetually on the cusp of disaster, great or small. In particular, you really need to include climate change - especially in your 2030-50 and 2050-2100 periods...that is, if you give credence to the view that we are 10 years away from an irreversible downward spiral and the end of civilization as we know it.

So in that sense, 2020-50 could be a transitional phase from the "old world" to a new one, which would include your fusion and beyond ages. How does the current world deal with and get through the breakdown/breakthrough gauntlet of climate change, nuclear weapons, cultural division, etc?

In other words, all of your future ages pre-suppose that we make it through, so in order to do that you have to answer how we make it through and that will largely define your first two ages.

Partially due to the internet (information technology) we live in a world that is more interconnected than ever before, and all the cards are on the table. Now we need to collectively deal with it all. So I would suggest that your "post-information age" is more like the culmination of the information age, and sorting out how to move forward as a global civilization - in a sustainable way. There almost certainly will be some major, world-changing, catastrophes along the way.

But seeing as your world has a future, we must have figured it out. So come 2050 or so, you can have your optimistic scifi future - and then the sky is the limit.

I think another factor you really need to emphasize is AI. Some believe that by 2050, AI is either going to solve all of our problems and lead to a utopia on Earth and beyond (albeit probably highly monitored by some kind of "AI god") or it is going to lead to the killing off of 99% of the world's population - the quick and easy solution to the world's problems.

So I would research AI extensively and incorporate it into your future ages as a significant, even dominant factor. You could even use it as a kind of deus ex machina that not only solves today's problems but allows you to have your relatively secure future ages to unfold in a more controlled fashion.

There are also always surprises - be it of the bad kind, like an asteroid strike or a plague, or of the good kind, a major medical or energy breakthrough.

Remove ads