D&D 5E Experience with 4 players vs. 6/7

Toledo

Explorer
I was wondering if my group's experience is a lot more different than others due to number of players. We've got two active campaigns, and we either have 6 or 7 players weekly besides the DM.

I've been reading some other threads where someone commented that with heavy type armor for a medium battle usage cleric (so not hiding like a typical wizard, but not in the front like a fighter/barbarian) the Magic Initiative feat (and Shield) would likely be very adequate.

My thinking is that one casting of Shield is almost useless for our cleric, who always has foes up in his face. Our magical gear is typically better than Xanther's or the DMG would suggest. So the group hits very hard, but the return retribution is extreme. For example last week, our 7 party members (levels 11 or 12) had to fight a CR 19-20, two CR 10-11, 8 CR 5-6 foes at the same time. We can dish out the pain, but the amount of damage and effects coming back at us makes one Shield seem completely insignificant.

I realize the game is theoretically set up for 4 players with DMG/Xanther's item progression. Logically a group of 4 players that has someone go down is in worse shape than a group of 6 or 7 which has a character drop. Often that is the case for us; however when the extreme groups of foes come at our characters, I'm finding a much larger swing than what I read in the forums (I'm assuming most groups are 3-5 characters). We're at the outer extremes - we can handle foes if our tactics/first turns/decisions are fortuitous but often we're in real bad shape if there is one bad player choice.

Using the formulas in Xanthers, our "normal" easy fights are in the lethal range and our tough fights are 2-3 times greater than lethal, with me factoring in tougher battles for good gear.

Oh, our DMs frequently use the non-Monster Manual supplements put out there, and those monsters seem tougher CR vs CR than the Monster Manual itself.

I was wondering what the opinions are for those who have a lot of experience with both 4 person and 6-7 person parties.

Dausuul

Legend
My group only has 3 players most of the time. But taking Magic Initiate to get shield seems just as pointless to me as it does to you.

This isn't about large groups versus small groups, it's about whoever made that suggestion not understanding what makes shield a good spell.

Quartz

Hero
Way back when, the simplest way was to just increase the boss monster's HP. I'd be very careful about increasing the boss' offensive power; increasing the defensive power is much more controlable. So increase HP, add in Resistance vs whatever, Legendary Resistance, Legendary Actions. Putting in high level powers like Wish and Meteor Swarm is just going to end in tears.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I always thought five was the prototypical party size.

Four and six are both pretty close to that, making a difference but not a huge one. Three is a bigger difference, seven and eight are even bigger, then two. One and nine+ are so individualistic I won't try to rate them against each other.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
My thinking is that one casting of Shield is almost useless for our cleric, who always has foes up in his face. Our magical gear is typically better than Xanther's or the DMG would suggest. So the group hits very hard, but the return retribution is extreme. For example last week, our 7 party members (levels 11 or 12) had to fight a CR 19-20, two CR 10-11, 8 CR 5-6 foes at the same time. We can dish out the pain, but the amount of damage and effects coming back at us makes one Shield seem completely insignificant.
Wouldn't having multiple enemies in your face make shield better, not worse? You're getting +5 AC to a whole bunch of attacks, then, not just one.

Shiroiken

Legend
Wait... 5E assumes a 4 person party? I don't think I've ever noticed that anywhere.

Anywho, my experience is that the number of players in a game has a dramatic impact on the best type of game to run. With a smaller group, role-playing is best, since everyone can easily participate without talking all over each other. Larger groups often work best in exploration and combat, since it nominally allows everyone their own time to shine.

As for party composition vs. enemies faced, that can vary greatly. Power gamers* can handle a whole lot more than regular gamers, because of player skill in character creation and strategic/tactical play. The CR system is wonky, with quite a few creatures worth more experience that you'd think, but others (especially shadows) can cause a TPK against parties well above their level. Something else to consider is that the DMG suggestion for encounter building based on number of enemies isn't balanced at all; there was another one that was put out, but I don't know if it was just UA or XGtE.

*I've stopped using Power Gamer as a pejorative, since there's a difference between a min/max optimizer and someone that just builds solid characters. I take my character concept, then build the most powerful version of that concept within the available options. I may not make the most optimal choices, but I try not to make any bad ones either.

Wait... 5E assumes a 4 person party? I don't think I've ever noticed that anywhere.

The guidelines for assessing difficulty of encounters treat a party of 4 or 5 the same (and treat them as the baseline) but I believe there are at least a couple of places that specify that 4 is the baseline asssumption.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
We only have three players currently, but we each play two character so the party is six strong. Sometimes the DM has an NPC making it seven. It makes encounters run differently and we're able to tackle things a 4-character party would have a hard time with. With some of us at level 6 and a few at level 7, we just defeated a vampire (although it was a scary battle).

Stalker0

Legend
There is a very big difference between 4 players and 6. 6 players are at least 50% stronger just from that increase in actions, but I find it tends to go beyond that, just because of the inherent synergy of 5e. My players rip through over CRed encounters like butter. But the few times players couldn't show up and we were down to 3-4, it made a huge difference in their ability to handle encounters.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases