OSR OSR ... Feel the Love! Why People Like The Old School

Exactly! It was so weird and arbitrary...and glorious! If someone told me that there was a military pick +1, +3 vs. green monsters, I'd believe that was a thing.

All that strangeness, that unpredictability, was one of the things that made magic feel all the more magical.

I'll take your dagger +2, +3 vs. creatures larger than man-sized and RAISE YOU a Sword +1, +4 vs. Reptiles.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
My current group is mostly Old-Schoolers....we're (supposedly) playing OSRIC right now (but players keeps crossing the streams with 1e).

My experience has been that nostalgia keeps drawing us back in...then we remember all the gaps and frustrations...then we modify the rules heavily...then we play a modern game or two for a while....rinse, repeat.

Which is not to say that there are not good features in the Old-School, compared with modern versions of D&D, many of which are noted by the posters above and the OP. However, as a system tourist, I have found that nearly all of those have been duplicated or improved-upon by other less-nostalgic systems. Unfortunately, I haven't found a game that puts all the best(IMO) of them in one place. ::shrug::

Tony Vargas

Legend
I was reading an OSR book last night and it reminded me of something I loved but had forgotten about: all those +1 swords that would be +3 or so vs. a specific type of foe. I loved that sort of weird granularity, ... It was so weird and arbitrary...and glorious!
I always figured it was inspired by Sting, Orcrist and Glamdring in The Hobbit.

I mean...
In an old campaign, I had a hobgoblin chieftain come with a longsword+1, +2 vs dwarves. The party defeated him, but the ranger claimed the sword (named Dwarfsbane or something predictable). It glowed in the presence of dwarves, so he was often teasing the party dwarf with it.
...that fits the MO of Orcrist the Goblin-Cleaver, in reverse, right?

Yardiff

Adventurer
What I liked about old school games was that my 14th fighter could have bracers of ac2, ring of protection +1 saves,+6 ac, boots of dex 18, ring of flight (GM item), bastard sword of sharpness, girdle of stone giant strength, and cloak of protection +3 and be able to use all of them, not being limited to 3 cool items.

That's -8 AC without heavy armor for those who care.

The GM was nice and allowed the cloak to work for saves and the ring to work ac.

Last edited:

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
You know, these threads always make me feel like something of an outsider in the OSR community, like I don't know what the OSR is or maybe I'm just really bad at it, because I'm not interested in Fantasy ****ing Vietnam and my "old school" is 2e AD&D after TSR's wheels fell off. I love the OSR, but it seems like everything the OSR community loves about the OSR are the things I think modern D&D actually did better.

Using the standard terminology, my preferred playstyle is Galactic Dragons & Godwars with a focus on high magic, high level, high energy play.

In a lot of ways, it feels like that's what Modern D&D is trying to do... but it's really bad at it. TSR D&D did it better... but much of the OSR community dimisses this playstyle-- which was prevalent in the early 80s-- with references to short attention spans, misplaced senses of entitlement, and "kids these days" playing too many video games.

I like the fact that the OSR (mostly) embraces the idea that character restrictions are as important as character abilities in differentiating between characters-- whether it's racial class restrictions or outright racial classes, TSR D&D and many OSR games have firmly established that the various PC races are different sorts of beings rather than funny-shaped humans. One OSR game even gave each nonhuman race its own short class list, an example I'm trying to follow in my 2e house rules.

A lot of the little things I like about the OSR aren't even conscious, deliberate choices... but simply rules that worked to serve their intended purpose before Wizards of the Coast broke them for no good reason. Combat movement, saving throws, spellcasting in melee.

1. Chargen. I understand that there are many people who enjoy chargen as its own mini-game. That love to plot out their characters and their choices from level 1 to 20. That enjoy the session 0 / day of creating the characters as much, if not more, than the adventuring. That can't wait for every new ability you get with each level.

I am not that person. I mean, sure, it was fun for a little while. But you know what's even more fun? Creating a character in under 3 minutes. Not worrying about leveling a character. That's fun- more time playing, less time working on the character.

See... I'm not a real big fan of the charop minigame, but I love the fact that Modern D&D keeps giving you choices every time you level up. This is great, and I don't understand why so many people are so hostile to it.

The "character build" mentality doesn't come from having options. It comes from that mutant multiclassing system and especially Prestige Classes that force players to earn their options by planning their whole character in advance. This is also why iconic class features are delayed beyond 1st level.
4. Class Niche Protection. This seems like a small thing, but it isn't to me. 5e tries to straddle the line between having classes (like traditional D&D) and having the classes not really matter (by having archetypes that bleed into each other, easy MC'ing, and feats), so you can end up with multiple ways to "build" the same concept.

See this? Perfect example. Starting with my second character, ever, every single character I have played in D&D has been multiclassed-- even when it wasn't legal, and in some cases when multiclassing itself wasn't part of the rules.

Another thing I love about the OSR? Kits allowed you to modify your class archetype, and multiclassing allowed you to blend your archetypes, without turning classes into fungible building blocks or allowing characters to "dip" into classes that were not, in any way, a part of your character's identity.

I'm not trying to pick on you here-- it's just strange to me how much of the stuff OSR fans hate about Modern D&D... is the exact stuff I love about the OSR.

Of course... there are a number of items people have raised in this thread that I'd argue were the best things about Modern D&D, and I wish OSR games incorporated. From your own list... ASIs and at-will magics. Another big one for me is "unusual" non-Tolkien races. Frequent acquisition of new class features.

I just want them in a ruleset that lets you put together a character in the time between failing your last saving throw and getting hired again back in town, where you can wrap up a boss fight in a single session with time left over to divvy the loot, BMX Bandit is actually as useful as Angel Summoner, and your party wizard hasn't been "the only dwarven wizard ever" for four wizards in a row.

Bonus points if it doesn't take levels in three separate classes and five feats to qualify for the Peasant Conscript PrC whose 10th level capstone ability lets them march and complain at the same time.

While I love 1e and BECMI and OD&D, I do think 2e deserves a place at the OSR table. If we date the OSR as beginning with Hackmaster in 2001 (though I'm sure that's a debatable point), by now 2e has been out of print longer than 1e had been out of print at the point when the OSR began.

You know, these threads always make me feel like something of an outsider in the OSR community, like I don't know what the OSR is or maybe I'm just really bad at it, because I'm not interested in Fantasy ****ing Vietnam and my "old school" is 2e AD&D after TSR's wheels fell off. I love the OSR, but it seems like everything the OSR community loves about the OSR are the things I think modern D&D actually did better.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
While I love 1e and BECMI and OD&D, I do think 2e deserves a place at the OSR table. If we date the OSR as beginning with Hackmaster in 2001 (though I'm sure that's a debatable point), by now 2e has been out of print longer than 1e had been out of print at the point when the OSR began.

Hell, if we're going to mark the OSR by the publication of Hackmaster, the means that the very first retroclone was based on 2e.

I'll take it.

Tony Vargas

Legend
You know, these threads always make me feel like something of an outsider in the OSR community, like I don't know what the OSR is or maybe I'm just really bad at it, because I'm not interested in Fantasy ****ing Vietnam and my "old school" is 2e AD&D after TSR's wheels fell off.
Heck, that's when I gave up on D&D for about 5 years.

2e may be /T/SR, but IDK if it qualifies as /O/SR? It doesn't seem Old to me.

Hell, if we're going to mark the OSR by the publication of Hackmaster, the means that the very first retroclone was based on 2e.
I'll take it.
Hackmaster? /2/e A&DD?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases