RPGA Opinions

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The RPGA is what you make it. :)

There is little difference between playing in a RPGA game with people you don't know and playing in a tournament game with people you don't know. You might be lucky, or you might have the worst DM and other players you've ever seen.

Recently, the RPGA have started sanctioning modules you find in Dungeon magazine, along with the new Eberron modules, and there's nothing stopping your home group from playing such under the auspices of the RPGA. (Why would you do so? Mainly so your DM can get free miniatures. See the DM Rewards program ;))

To expand on this, there are three types of RPGA event:

Convention
Game Day
Home Games

The differences between conventions and game days is purely one of scale, and so there's not much difference between the two in terms of who you might encounter there. (The normal mix of players, good and bad).

With a Home Game, you can do such with your regular group of players - though I believe that you need to be in the group of 4-6 players.

Does that mean that the RPGA is no different than a regular game (at home or at a convention?) No. There are definite differences, related to the terms: "Living Campaigns", "Classic Games", "Scenarios", and "Time Limit".

(Honestly, when a DM runs a RPGA game, he gives up control to some extent with regard to the writing and play of a scenario. However, I do think that with the Eberron adventures and Dungeon adventure being sanctioned, and with the option of Home Games, the RPGA is looking a lot more attractive to normal role-players).

Cheers!

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Thanks to all of you!

I appreciate your opinions and experience. It is indeed a LG game, and will be low-level chars. I am certainly going to give it a shot or two.

Thanks again!

diaglo

Adventurer
francisca said:
Thanks to all of you!

I appreciate your opinions and experience. It is indeed a LG game, and will be low-level chars. I am certainly going to give it a shot or two.

give it a shot or two. i did.

the only way i would go back is if i gave myself a shot or ten of tequilla or Jack Daniels.

francisca

diaglo said:
give it a shot or two. i did.

the only way i would go back is if i gave myself a shot or ten of tequilla or Jack Daniels.
Bah! I don't need an excuse to drink heavilly.....

WizarDru

Adventurer
atra2 said:
...there's no way for the schedules of almost any six 30+ professionals to merge very often.
Heh. Clearly, I beg to differ. I think a few others might agree, as well. ;)

However, I recognize the value of the RPGA and I'm glad it exists. My single experience with an RPGA game was neither stellar nor abysmal. It was highlighted more by the fact that all of my friends went to a non-RPGA game in the same time-slot, and had a rip-roaring good time, while I sat about with a guy who thought that having his dwarf smoke weed was role-playing. The fact that I had to turn off my DM-mojo many times, and clarify basic d20 rules-concepts may have also driven me a little cuckoo.

I think Piratecat (being a Super-Judge, and all :)) could probably offer some good perspective on the RPGA.

techno

Explorer
I have been playing RPGA Living Force home games for several months now. My personal feeling is that most of the adventures have been excellent (focusing more on roleplaying than roll playing). My group also likes the fact that they can be completed in only 4 hours (because our gaming time is limited).

buzzard

First Post
I'm not really going to add a whole lot. The simple truth is that it all depends on who ends up at your table. Good players and a good DM will make it fun.

The real key to having a good time in RPGA gaming is persistence. You simply have to play in the area enough to get to know which players and DMs you want to have at your table (and of course, which to avoid). If you are not willing to undergo some possible pain, maybe it isn't for you. However if you are willing, you can likely get a chance to do a whole lot of gaming.

I play Living Spycraft once a month and Living Greyhawk a few times a month (it all depends). I DM a pretty good amount of LG tables as well.

Of course much of my LG is done at my house with picked players and DMs, as well as the LS being always at my house with a picked GM(other than the 3 local cons which usually feature LS).

Simply enough RPGA should only be looked upon as a source of free adventures. What is done with them is up to someone else.

buzzard

francisca

buzzard said:
(really useful info)
buzzard

Thanks man! That's about what I expected.

Anyway, game is tonight, and I'm looking forward to it. If you don't hear from me by monday, please send a search party.....start with Purdue's Steam Tunnels
:D (yes, they do exist. no I haven't played D&D down there.)

kenobi65

First Post
I've been playing RPGA stuff pretty heavily for the past three years. As others have pointed out, it can be a bit of a carpshoot if you're showing up at a con or gameday and don't know anyone -- you could get a good table, you could get a lousy table.

For me, it's a godsend, since I love to play, but, with my home games, I'm the DM -- in other words, the RPGA gives me a chance to actually *play*. And, through RPGA, I've met a bunch of really cool fellow gamers. We mostly play online (every RPGA campaign except Green Regent allows some manner of online play), and it's a great way for those of us spread all over the country to still get together for a game.

If your concern is too much rules-lawyering and not enough role-playing, I'd suggest looking into some of the RPGA campaigns beyond Living Greyhawk and Legacy of the Green Regent. Now, I'm not saying that there is no role-playing in those campaigns, but they are known for being combat-heavy. Living Force, Living Death, Living Arcanis, Living Spycraft, among others, tend to be more focused on character development and role-play. The downside is that they are smaller campaigns, and thus it can sometimes be difficult to find a local game of anything other than LG.

Hope this helps.

Mike Mistele

Remove ads