D&D 5E Advantage vs Disadvantage : What's the Math?

guachi

Hero
You're absolutely right. In a game with a 2-3 combats per session, rolling attacks normally will probably give you a 1 about once a session. Rolling attacks with advantage gives you a 1 about once a campaign.

This highlights the biggest impact of advantage - the massive decrease in bad rolls. Yes, the average on advantage is only 3.25 higher than the average on a normal roll, but most of the difference is at the bottom end.

That is, the chance of rolling a 1-5 without advantage is 25% but it's only 6.25% with advantage. It's an 18.25% difference (the same difference between a 16-20 with and without advantage) but in relative terms you'd roll a 1-5 four times more often without advantage. Depending on the final roll you need and your bonuses it's possible for advantage to make it highly unlikely you'd ever fail.

It's this highly variable benefit of advantage that makes me like it so much more than a flat bonus of +3. For example, if your first roll is a 20 then advantage gives you +0. If you're first roll is a 1 then advantage gives you an average bonus of roughly +10.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
This highlights the biggest impact of advantage - the massive decrease in bad rolls. Yes, the average on advantage is only 3.25 higher than the average on a normal roll, but most of the difference is at the bottom end.

That is, the chance of rolling a 1-5 without advantage is 25% but it's only 6.25% with advantage. It's an 18.25% difference (the same difference between a 16-20 with and without advantage) but in relative terms you'd roll a 1-5 four times more often without advantage. Depending on the final roll you need and your bonuses it's possible for advantage to make it highly unlikely you'd ever fail.

It's this highly variable benefit of advantagethat makes me like it so much more than a flat bonus of +3, for example. if your first roll is a 20 then advantage gives you +0. If you're first roll is a 1 then advantage gives you an average bonus of roughly +10.
Not coincidentally this is why power ganmes use advantage to leverage Great Weapon Mastery.

Its -5 is meant to make you miss on occasion, but since you only miss when you roll low, advantage is great at reducing that to the point where Precision Attack, Bardic Inspiration and other "top up" abilities together with Lucky that reduces the risk of rolling 1 from 5% to 1/4% is enough to almost eliminate that drawback (the intended balance of missing).

A 19 to succeed is unheard-of in the MM, but a 2 to succeed is not. There are monsters in the DMG that even low-level PCs can hit on a 2; zombies, for example.

Rare but not unheard-of. CR 4 Couatls have AC 24 (AC 19 + Shield 3/day). Anyone with +5 to hit or less will hit them only on a 19+.

There's also partial cover. A Couatl behind 3/4 cover is effectively AC 29, hit only on a 20 unless you have either +10 to hit or Sharpshooter feat and +5 to hit.

Last edited:

Here is a mathematically precise and succinct way to compute your chance to hit with advantage and disadvantage. You can turn this into a set of simple functions in a programming language or Excel without the need to perform simulations or permutations of any sort.

// First, compute the basic probability of a hit
double probabilityOfHit = (21 + attackModifier - targetArmorClass) / 20;
probabilityOfHit = Math.min(0.95, probabilityOfHit); // if you roll a 1, you always miss
probabilityOfHit = Math.max(0.05 * (21 - criticalHitOn), probabilityOfHit); // if you equal or exceed your critical hit roll, you always hit

// From the probability of a hit, derive the probability of a miss
double probabilityOfMiss = 1 - probabilityOfHit;

// Compute the probability of hit with advantage
probabilityOfHit = probabilityOfHit + (probabilityOfMiss * probabilityOfHit);

// Compute the probability of hit with disadvantage
probabilityOfHit = 1 - (probabilityOfMiss + (probabilityOfHit * probabilityOfMiss);

I've actually got a web app that implements this: http://maxwilson.github.io/RollWeb/Roll/

You can ask it questions like "avg.3a?3d8+7" (if I hit on a 3+ with advantage and do 3d8+7, what is my average damage including crits?). If you take off the "avg" part it gives you a random roll. The "Help" link has further examples.

Last edited:

This is precisely the way to look at it. If you focus only on the difference as it applies to a single roll, a 0.25% chance of failure doesn't look much different from a 5% chance failure. If you focus on all of the rolls you will make for an entire year, however, it is the difference between failing once per week as opposed to failing once per year. The graph is deceptive in that it makes advantage/disadvantage appear inconsequential at the extremes of the DC, when this is not the case at all, as you rightly point out. The relative difference is just as important as the absolute difference when you have a reliable source of advantage. In other words, you are seeing the forest just fine!

The relative difference is actually more important IMO than the absolute difference because in reality the number of rolls you make isn't static. You change your behavior based on risk assessment. If an orc will hit you 10% of the time, then you dare not fight 50 of them head-on in a fight to save the princess. But if you pick up a Cloak of Displacement so that you only get hit 1% of the time, your options change. Maybe you really can fight them head-on. And now because you can fight them head-on, you can risk sneaking in to save her without a fight, because even in a worst case scenario you can still fight your way out.

Absolute probabilities only matter when you are faced with an opportunity cost. If you have the choice between spending your concentration to give your ten allies a +20% absolute bump in their to-hit probabilities, then it doesn't matter whether you're raising 40% to 60% or 1% to 21%--either way, that use of your concentration has a specific value. (Total potential damage * 0.2.) You compare that against alternate uses of your concentration (e.g. summoning eight wolves which will do XYZ damage to the enemy and act as meatshields) to decide which is better.

Both metrics have their place but knowing the relative probabilities tends to offer more insight into tactical pros and cons.

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
I've actually got a web app that implements this: http://maxwilson.github.io/RollWeb/Roll/

You can ask it questions like "avg.3a?3d8+7" (if I hit on a 3+ with advantage and do 3d8+7, what is my average damage including crits?). If you take off the "avg" part it gives you a random roll. The "Help" link has further examples.
Nice! I've written similar programs myself. I notice yours is hosted on GitHub. Is the source code available in a public GitHub repo?

Nice! I've written similar programs myself. I notice yours is hosted on GitHub. Is the source code available in a public GitHub repo?

Yep, it's at the usual relative URL for the github project: https://github.com/MaxWilson/RollWeb

There's also an .exe there with slightly better capabilities, e.g. only the exe can parse "avg.(d20a+7)?15". I wrote those tools primarily as an exercise in packrat parsing (an easy way to parse recursive grammars). The transpilation to JavaScript (using WebSharper) ended up losing some capabilities, and I never hunted down the bug because I switched to using Fable instead of Websharper.

-Max

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
Yep, it's at the usual relative URL for the github project: https://github.com/MaxWilson/RollWeb

There's also an .exe there with slightly better capabilities, e.g. only the exe can parse "avg.(d20a+7)?15". I wrote those tools primarily as an exercise in packrat parsing (an easy way to parse recursive grammars). The transpilation to JavaScript (using WebSharper) ended up losing some capabilities, and I never hunted down the bug because I switched to using Fable instead of Websharper.

-Max
I'll take a look. Thanks!

Last edited:

jrowland

First Post
working as intended. If the DC (or AC) is low, adv makes it less likely to fail. Nothing like rolling a 1 on a DC 2 check. Adv makes that rare. likewise for Dis and High DC: less likely to succeed.

I tell my players its a bit counter-intuitive. You want Adv on easy to succeed things to make sure you or to counter Dis. If its hard to hit, stack bonuses to hit like...a...war clerics +10 iirc.

Remove ads