Ring of Winter in Play

Quickleaf

Legend
Ah, yes, maybe the Ring ties into the next campaign arc. Although what you've come up with is just as credible IMO. So yes, I might use some of those ideas. How are you handling Mezro and Ras Nzi? I think in the Mezro supplement it says that True Mezro cannot be returned until Ras Nzi is dead, which would be something Artus would try to do. And he still might, but after the PCs have to deal with Frost Giants and a possessed Chaotic Evil artifact that won't let Artus DIE (really, I won't let him die, even if he reaches zero hit points something else just steps in and whisks him away)

So I picked up Ruins of Mezro from Will Doyle (EDIT: I call this "Will's notes below) – it's a good starting place for running the false ruined Mezro in Chult. There's a disgraced bara called Ras T'fima who guards the ruins from those seeking the truth of Mezro's location in a Feywild demiplane; Will wrote him as a death knight which was an interesting choice because in the novel Ras T'fima was a "gem mage" who once had control over weather but had his powers stripped by Ubtao for lack of faith. Ras T'fima used the ring's powers to cover up his own lost powers. He was depicted wielding a sword once IIRC, but mainly he fired lightning bolts and healed people. He was much more of a N or LN figure than a CE one (which is death knight's default alignment).

Building off of Will's notes, if my PCs decide to pursue the "real Mezro" storyline, I'm going to flesh out the College of Wizards in Mezro (which is a "shifting rooms / teleporter dungeon") using an adaptation of the Shifting Tower from DCC 73: Emirikol Was Framed, with clues on how to reach "real Mezro" within.

There's a myth in Will's notes of the "Forsaken One" (a crocodilian semi-deity born of Savras & Lleira); in my version the “Forsaken One” is actually Kyuss & the myth is misguided.

My PCs are traveling to Mezro following the Company of the Yellow Banner (who went overland, instead of weighing anchor at Kitcher's Inlet as ToA suggests). From my notes....

[SBLOCK] Brokenbarrel (from Will's notes) remembers well the origins of the Flaming Fist as adventurers organized by the Grand Duke of Baldur’s Gate over a century ago. She even had a soft spot for adventurers…until she suffered the gilded curse and crossed paths with the Company of the Yellow Banner. She lost her best priests in the Library, and the last of her scouts to investigating the Library (hoping to reinstate the scriptorium) and looking for missing soldiers who were supposed to meet with resupply party from Fort Beluarian. Once she single-handedly killed a sarcosuchus by baiting it with a music box that allowed her to hunt it down, but some soldiers have reported hearing eerie music in Flooded Boulevards and Amphitheater.

Hanging on wall of her “audience chamber” is a golden silk banner with yellow swan & moon (150 gp) – claimed as a “fine” from the Company of the Yellow Banner. Brokenbarrel crossed paths with the Yellow Banner and is angry with them. After questioning why they were in Mezro exploring without a charter, Brokenbarrel let them explore after paying a fine & being forbidden from College of Wizards. They were looking for ancient prophecies about a “lost city” and broke their word, entering the College “to loot it” before “fleeing” south along River Olung.

Because of this, Brokenbarrel disallows PCs entering ruins… unless they help her either eliminate the Children of the Crocodile – human-sacrificing cultists in the Agricultural Quarter (in fact, she wants to consult the oracular Mudmaw herself) – or banish Ras T’fima – who she describes as a death knight seeking to claim Mezro for the undead (in fact, she has learned that the curse turning Mezro gold to ash outside the city is caused by Ras T’fima).

Ras T’fima (LN heavily modified death knight) is a disgraced bara, a mage once able to control weather who championed the cause of Mezroans outside city walls who were magically cut off from city’s resources/protection. Many of these were tabaxi who Mezro's barae didn't trust due to prophecy of the Sleeper. Ras T'fima championed these marginalized people who, despite being humans & tabaxi, called themselves "Tabaxi" as a sign of solidarity (EDIT: explaining confusion between AD&D "tabaxi" human tribe & 3e/5e "tabaxi" race). After Ubtao stripped him of his powers, T’fima used gem magic (lightning, healing) to prolong his life and the Ring of Winter to keep his station until Artus Cimber exposed his treachery. When the Spellplague wracked Chult, Ras T’fima arose as a death knight and swore to redeem himself to Ubtao. His undying duty is to protect the holy city from defilers, but he is bitter that the city has once again been sealed off by magic in Chult’s hour of need. He only appears amidst the ruins during heavy rains or fog. As long as he protects Mezro all gold taken from the ruins turns to ash.[/SBLOCK]

Nebulous

Legend
There are some elements from the original Ring of Winter novel that I wished they'd elaborated on. Artus has a sort of communion with the ring, and believes that it's ultimate purpose is for good. This unremitting belief, the novel suggests, is why Artus has so far resisted the ring's malign influence and why others (Ras T'fima) lacking such belief are more vulnerable to its power.

I never read the novel. In fact, until I picked up ToA, i didn't even know about the Ring of Winter, and only recently discovered it was novelized a long, long time ago. I'm a rather casual Forgotten Realms fan :)

Nebulous

Legend
So I picked up Ruins of Mezro from Will Doyle (EDIT: I call this "Will's notes below) – it's a good starting place for running the false ruined Mezro in Chult. There's a disgraced bara called Ras T'fima who guards the ruins from those seeking the truth of Mezro's location in a Feywild demiplane; Will wrote him as a death knight which was an interesting choice because in the novel Ras T'fima was a "gem mage" who once had control over weather but had his powers stripped by Ubtao for lack of faith. Ras T'fima used the ring's powers to cover up his own lost powers. He was depicted wielding a sword once IIRC, but mainly he fired lightning bolts and healed people. He was much more of a N or LN figure than a CE one (which is death knight's default alignment).

Building off of Will's notes, if my PCs decide to pursue the "real Mezro" storyline, I'm going to flesh out the College of Wizards in Mezro (which is a "shifting rooms / teleporter dungeon") using an adaptation of the Shifting Tower from DCC 73: Emirikol Was Framed, with clues on how to reach "real Mezro" within.

There's a myth in Will's notes of the "Forsaken One" (a crocodilian semi-deity born of Savras & Lleira); in my version the “Forsaken One” is actually Kyuss & the myth is misguided.

My PCs are traveling to Mezro following the Company of the Yellow Banner (who went overland, instead of weighing anchor at Kitcher's Inlet as ToA suggests). From my notes....

I just finished our fifth session in Mezro. It was pretty fantastic altogether. I forgot Ras T'fima's name mid-session so I called him Bara T'yliki. He IS a death knight still in my campaign, and he wields a flame brand scimitar named Fire Eye that came from the bowels of the College of Magic. Bara T'yliki is bound to the Residential Quarter where Artus lives. He cannot actually wander the entire city. This was a spontaneous decision I made because the PCs were able to befriend him and would have used the Bara (if possible) to destroy the Flaming Fist.

I printed that absolutely BADASS Mezro map out and have used it quite a bit. The PCs are leaving Mezro now, but they'll be back I think one day, they've only seen a portion of what is there.

ebQnABZ.jpg

Quickleaf

Legend
I never read the novel. In fact, until I picked up ToA, i didn't even know about the Ring of Winter, and only recently discovered it was novelized a long, long time ago. I'm a rather casual Forgotten Realms fan :)

Yeah, I'm not a FR fan. I just liked ToA enough to do some research to improve it (for my group) & shore up the adventure's shortcomings.

With Ras Nsi... he committed genocide against a tribe called the Eshowe (who'd summoned Eshowdow, a "shadow giant" who nearly destroyed Mezro only to turn upon the Eshowe) in the Valley of Lost Honor. This is why he was exiled. So, I think that why real Mezro won't return until Ras Nsi's death has less to do with Ras Nsi posing a real threat to Mezro & more to do with the barae living with the guilt/shame of Ras Nsi's unforgivable crime.

In my game, I'm building on this with Kyuss having promised revenge to spirits of the Eshowe tribe which returned as shadows bound to Kuluth-Mar. I also have a small band of mixed race Eshowe survivors (human & half-elves) in eastern Chult who seek to banish the "shadow giant" their ancestors summoned.

Nebulous

Legend
Between the Death Knight, Artus, the Flaming Fist and the Croc Cult, we had a little faction war going on. The map is so incredibly detailed, it practically told the story itself, and blown up to that size you can see everything clearly.

Nebulous

Legend
Yeah, I'm not a FR fan. I just liked ToA enough to do some research to improve it (for my group) & shore up the adventure's shortcomings.

With Ras Nsi... he committed genocide against a tribe called the Eshowe (who'd summoned Eshowdow, a "shadow giant" who nearly destroyed Mezro only to turn upon the Eshowe) in the Valley of Lost Honor. This is why he was exiled. So, I think that why real Mezro won't return until Ras Nsi's death has less to do with Ras Nsi posing a real threat to Mezro & more to do with the barae living with the guilt/shame of Ras Nsi's unforgivable crime.

In my game, I'm building on this with Kyuss having promised revenge to spirits of the Eshowe tribe which returned as shadows bound to Kuluth-Mar. I also have a small band of mixed race Eshowe survivors (human & half-elves) in eastern Chult who seek to banish the "shadow giant" their ancestors summoned.

I like the FR just fine. Neither me or my players care much about the fiddly bits of lore, it's just a place to kill monsters, steal their stuff, and have a chuckle while doing it.

Your background work is quite impressive. I doubt I would go into that much depth, mostly because I don't think the payoff of impressing the players would be worth it. But I've got plenty of time to flesh out the story. They just reached 4th level, and their next stop is Nangalore, and then Orolunga, so it's going to be a while before they ever reach Omu, and then they got to deal with the surface of the city before they even touch the Fane of the Night Serpent.

Oh, and that reminds me, the Omu MAP will look ridiculously awesome printed 5:1 scale

fk9iJUE.jpg

I love maps and battle maps, and a good map can tell the story just as well as a good DM. Hell, I might even make that thing half the size of our game table. 24"x 40"

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
I can't wait for part 3/3 of the Mezro guild adventure. I really would like a (semi-) official take on where Mezro went and how to bring it back again!

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The Ring doesn't care about Mezro really, or the Death Curse, or even Artus. I guess it has its own unfathomable agenda. Maybe it wants to unite with the Quasi Elemental Prince of Evil Cold!

The Ring of Winter (like the frost giants) thinks it has been condemned to wander in Dante's Inferno (a.k.a. the tropical jungles of Chult) and just wants to sit in a comfortable (read: -30*F) room and curl up to eat a nice ice cream cone.

Although, come to think of it, maybe the Ring would most prefer to be near the Great Glacier because it can feel the presence of Ulitiu's sunken Ice Necklace at / underwater below the glacier's core.

Remove ads