Way of the Succubus Monk

Diamondized

First Post
A Chsotic Evil order if I ever saw one.

Do you think comments like this are going to help convince us that you take rape seriously and didn't deliberately spend your afternoon making an elaborate excuse to sexually assault people in DnD/emulate a character that you earnestly described as a rapist?

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

Look, the long and short of it is that a Succubus functions on the same base mechanic as a Vampire.
Vampires need blood. Either this requires donations, or assault. (there's a whole writeup for how the Vampire's Slam attack works and how they take blood from another against their will)
Succubi need sex energy. Either this requires voluntary sex, or rape(aka: non-con sex).

As D&Ders, we're sort of used to violence. But when you combine violence and sex, you get rape. Noone really wants to engage in rape at the table, especially when it is done by or to a player. There might be a few people willing to do so, and you might get a good player who wants to play this class but never uses their power against the unwilling (which IMO, would be a very interesting character concept: a Succubus who'd rather starve and die than force another into sexual activity). But those things are rare and it's just as likely that you're going to find 4 players for whom rape is incredibly distasteful and uncomfortable, for every 1 that might be willing to engage in it (and among those people you're likely to find some real weirdos).

Your examples of other forms are mind control are poor, because none of them imply sex. If sex were to happen after being mind controlled, that's 100% on the player. Your rules on the other hand explicitly call for sexual activity (even if as little as a kiss).

Personally, I'd so away with the requirement for actual physical contact right off the bat. Jump straight to "can syphon off Sexual Ki from 5 feet" and make the distance increase as the character increases with level. If voluntary sex wants to happen, fine. But this way you rules don't call for physically retraining a person and sexually assaulting them.

Yes, I realize your text functions like the Succubus stat block, but the succubus is a monster that players kill. Your player is a player who presumably, doesn't get killed for simply existing in the mortal planes.

gyor

Legend
Look, the long and short of it is that a Succubus functions on the same base mechanic as a Vampire.
Vampires need blood. Either this requires donations, or assault. (there's a whole writeup for how the Vampire's Slam attack works and how they take blood from another against their will)
Succubi need sex energy. Either this requires voluntary sex, or rape(aka: non-con sex).

As D&Ders, we're sort of used to violence. But when you combine violence and sex, you get rape. Noone really wants to engage in rape at the table, especially when it is done by or to a player. There might be a few people willing to do so, and you might get a good player who wants to play this class but never uses their power against the unwilling (which IMO, would be a very interesting character concept: a Succubus who'd rather starve and die than force another into sexual activity). But those things are rare and it's just as likely that you're going to find 4 players for whom rape is incredibly distasteful and uncomfortable, for every 1 that might be willing to engage in it (and among those people you're likely to find some real weirdos).

Your examples of other forms are mind control are poor, because none of them imply sex. If sex were to happen after being mind controlled, that's 100% on the player. Your rules on the other hand explicitly call for sexual activity (even if as little as a kiss).

Personally, I'd so away with the requirement for actual physical contact right off the bat. Jump straight to "can syphon off Sexual Ki from 5 feet" and make the distance increase as the character increases with level. If voluntary sex wants to happen, fine. But this way you rules don't call for physically retraining a person and sexually assaulting them.

Yes, I realize your text functions like the Succubus stat block, but the succubus is a monster that players kill. Your player is a player who presumably, doesn't get killed for simply existing in the mortal planes.

If Enchanters were real, lets be honest they'd have a rep for being the school for perverts.

S

Sunseeker

If Enchanters were real, lets be honest they'd have a rep for being the school for perverts.

These comments aren't funny.

These and the continuing responses that you have made in this thread make me think you want rape in your games.

Do you?

Wulffolk

Explorer
This subject requires reading the room. I have more time playing World of Darkness games than D&D, even though I have played D&D longer.

The WoD games are based on the player characters being monsters (Vampires, Werewolves, Wraiths, Changelings, Mages, Hunters, etc). I don't think that many players in those games would balk at role-playing almost any adult situation, and most such players are usually quite good at communicating the limits of their tolerance. There is an explicit understanding in the WoD games that you will be exploring horrific topics. Morality, and the violation of ethical codes, are major aspects of the game. Even one murder is taken seriously and has consequences.

On the other hand, D&D tends to be much less serious in it's regard for moral issues. The assumption is that racism and murder is OK, but anything to do with sex is not. A Character can slaughter entire tribes of humanoids just because they are a different race and never even question their morality, but that character better not ever leave a brothel without paying the prostitute or they will be condemned as a rapist.

TL;DR - D&D is a casual game for casual gamers that prefer not to explore morality and ethics in depth. There are other games available for mature role-players that don't gloss over adult subject matters.

gyor

Legend
These comments aren't funny.

These and the continuing responses that you have made in this thread make me think you want rape in your games.

Do you?

Its not something I would directly interject into a game no, maybe something more subtle like having someone calling enchanters perverts or giving them extra dirty looks along with the necromancer as the creepy wizards, with Illusionists being the most well liked, Diviners and abjurers the most respected, and Evokers and Conjurers being the most feared by common folk.

S

Sunseeker

This subject requires reading the room. I have more time playing World of Darkness games than D&D, even though I have played D&D longer.

The WoD games are based on the player characters being monsters (Vampires, Werewolves, Wraiths, Changelings, Mages, Hunters, etc). I don't think that many players in those games would balk at role-playing almost any adult situation, and most such players are usually quite good at communicating the limits of their tolerance. There is an explicit understanding in the WoD games that you will be exploring horrific topics. Morality, and the violation of ethical codes, are major aspects of the game. Even one murder is taken seriously and has consequences.

On the other hand, D&D tends to be much less serious in it's regard for moral issues. The assumption is that racism and murder is OK, but anything to do with sex is not. A Character can slaughter entire tribes of humanoids just because they are a different race and never even question their morality, but that character better not ever leave a brothel without paying the prostitute or they will be condemned as a rapist.

TL;DR - D&D is a casual game for casual gamers that prefer not to explore morality and ethics in depth. There are other games available for mature role-players that don't gloss over adult subject matters.

I disagree. The difference is the expectation. D&D sets a low expectation, exploration of deeper moral and ethical issues is up to the table. WoD sets a high expectation, and exploration of deeper moral issues is explicit within the material.

Also, the casual gamers and "mature role-players" comments are HUGELY insulting.

S

Sunseeker

Its not something I would directly interject into a game no, maybe something more subtle like having someone calling enchanters perverts or giving them extra dirty looks along with the necromancer as the creepy wizards, with Illusionists being the most well liked, Diviners and abjurers the most respected, and Evokers and Conjurers being the most feared by common folk.

Then you need to change your class abilities, otherwise that is exactly what you did.

Wulffolk

Explorer
I disagree. The difference is the expectation. D&D sets a low expectation, exploration of deeper moral and ethical issues is up to the table. WoD sets a high expectation, and exploration of deeper moral issues is explicit within the material.

Also, the casual gamers and "mature role-players" comments are HUGELY insulting.

I can agree with the first part of your response, regarding expectations. That is pretty much the point I was making.

However, your opinion that what I said was "HUGELY insulting" makes more of a statement about your level of sensitivity than it does about what was actually said. At no point did I say that mature role-players do not also play D&D, or that those that prefer D&D can't be mature role-players. However, it does take a certain level of maturity to appreciate and deal with the subject matter of WoD games. Your observation about lower expectations in D&D actually supports what I said about it appealing more to the casual gamer.

There was no insult intended in my observations.

gyor

Legend

Side note CoD (formerly NWOD) has a line called Changeling: The Lost so dark, that basically it comes with trigger warnings and a section on how to deal with player's issues at the table.

CoD is darker in many ways then WoD the horror more personally.

Remove ads