Pathfinder 1E Eastern Weapons and Armor Question

orion90000

First Post
I'm running an Eastern flavored campaign and wondered if I should exclude the weapons and armor found in the core rule book and exclusively use the eastern stuff from Ultimate Combat or should I merge the two.

Derren

Hero
I haven't seen Ultimate Combat, but many eastern weapons are so similar to western stuff (there are not that many different ways to build a spear or a bow) that having separate stats for them doesn't make sense.

Crothian

First Post
I'd get rid of some of the weapons from the core. I'd keep things like dagger and staff and common items but lose most of the exotic and martial weapons.

Ramaster

Adventurer
For weapons, I would vote for a merge. As someone else pointed out, there is quite a lot of overlap anyway.

Armor is the main issue here, IMO. Oriental armor has the AMAZING Kikko Armor (a +5 AC medium armor with a max DEX of +4 for only 30 gp!) and a probably broken light armor that has neither check penalty, arcane spell failure nor max DEX, the infamous-3gp-Haramaki. Tatami-do is also a cheaper fullplate (provided your dex modifier is +3) for 1.000gp.

Keep these things in mind when adjudicating. I let my players purchase them seamlessly with regular armors, but some DMs might object to that.

ErrantX

Explorer
For weapons, I would vote for a merge. As someone else pointed out, there is quite a lot of overlap anyway.

Armor is the main issue here, IMO. Oriental armor has the AMAZING Kikko Armor (a +5 AC medium armor with a max DEX of +4 for only 30 gp!) and a probably broken light armor that has neither check penalty, arcane spell failure nor max DEX, the infamous-3gp-Haramaki. Tatami-do is also a cheaper fullplate (provided your dex modifier is +3) for 1.000gp.

Keep these things in mind when adjudicating. I let my players purchase them seamlessly with regular armors, but some DMs might object to that.

This right here. Use your best judgment. Use a no-dachi over a great sword, for example. Greataxes are rare if present, longswords could happen. Daggers and staves, etc of course will happen.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you want to know what weapons existed in which cultures, check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Weapons-International-Encyclopedia-Updated-Edition/dp/0312039506

It's a pretty thorough overview. It will let you see what overlapped when and where.

In addition, THIS book will give you a relatively system-neutral comparison of many of those weapons's physical stats- mass, length, etc.- and type, and approximate comparative damage for most RPGs: http://www.amazon.com/The-Compendium-Weapons-Armour-Castles/dp/091621138X

Very handy when trying to decide when you need to stat something up from scratch, or if you can simply re-skin another weapon.

Remove ads