Pathfinder 1E Advanced Class Guide opinions?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So the ACG has been out since Gen Con. I didn't manage to grab one then, but I plan to buy one imminently. What's the general consensus? Which classes are good, which not so good? Anybody using it in their games?

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I get the book. But since I'm finishing University I have not the time I'd like to have to read. but I have created a lvl 10 warpriest. Even if the class is a fusion between cleric and fighter it does have "unique" stuffs. they have something that is like a domain. I believe those are called "blessings". that thing was cool. then he have some cleric channels and extra combat feats. the archetypes for old classes give them abilities from other classes. So there is not much new stuffs. but it have really interesting concepts.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I really liked it. Infact the bloodrager has become my favorite class that's been published in an RPG, subsequently I ported a version of it over to 5e as a barbarian subclass.

I am currently running a Brawler, and would like to run a Slayer and an Investigator in the future. The only thing I don't like about the investigator is the alchemy part.

I'm not really interested in the other classes, primarily because I'm not really into running characters who use magic. If I liked magical characters, though, there are some classes in there that I would like to try.

A friend of mine is running the Emerald Spire, and I'm a swashbuckler. The class has some . . . kludgy design? Like, I can use their Dex for melee attacks (sorta like Weapon Finesse), but only with light- or one-handed piercing weapons. So that means a swashbuckler can wield a morningstar (and actually needs to if he ever wants to fight skeletons), but can't use a cutlass like a proper pirate. Heck, I can 'swashbuckle' with a pick. I don't know why they didn't just make it Weapon Finesse like normal. I guess they wanted to avoid spike chain swashbucklers? *shrug*

That said, the class works well when I can take off my Game Designer hat.

Another PC had the . . . whatever the barbarian/bard is called. He grants rage to his allies, instead of a flat bonus. Which was mostly useless to me, the swashbuckler, since increasing my Strength is fairly pointless. And was mostly useless to the party's wizard. The cleric kinda benefited, but I don't see how it was better than a normal inspire courage.

As a Pathfinder book, I suppose it's fine. I've just never been a big fan of mechanical fiddliness, and this book seems to have a lot of it.

I know it had a few editing problems.

I love it. The classes themselves are good. What I liked most - the idea behind this book was "hybrid" classes - common multiclass concepts that took a bit of system mastery to pull off turned into base classes. Because this book is about hybrids, it is full of feats and archtypes that shares each classes new mechanical toys with traditional classes - a Wizard that uses the Arcanist's stuff.

RangerWicket - they realized that, and are putting a Dex to Damage with swashbucker abilities in the ACG followup that is Golarion specific. Bascially like the one in ACG, but with Rapier's and Cutlasses and such - standard Swashbuckler weapons.

It had a few editing problems but they are going to be adjust that in the next printing.

Ramaster

Adventurer
My favorite book ever for the PF RPG is the Advanced Player's Guide. This is my second most favorite book.

It is full of options that I want to play.

Arcanist? Hell yeah, I'm making one for a campaign that's about to start.

Bloodrager? Excellently designed class that has everyone salivating.

Slayer? Dripping with martial goodness.

Investigator? The Rogue as she was meant to be built from the beginning (minus the alchemy part).

The only class I didn't like is the Skald, but I don't like bards at all.

The Brawler seems too "book keepy" for too little gain and the Hunter fill a weird niche... can't you just make a Druid and get o with it?

The section on creating your own class is quite slim... a couple more pages would have been more helpful. All in all, a great book.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Investigator? The Rogue as she was meant to be built from the beginning (minus the alchemy part).

You're the second person in this thread that has made a remark about the alchemy part - I actually kind of like the flavor of that. I could easily see an investigator doing some criminal analysis with a chemistry set. Using it as mutagens to make the investigator more resilient in combat is a bit odd, but nothing terrible.

Ramaster

Adventurer
You're the second person in this thread that has made a remark about the alchemy part - I actually kind of like the flavor of that. I could easily see an investigator doing some criminal analysis with a chemistry set. Using it as mutagens to make the investigator more resilient in combat is a bit odd, but nothing terrible.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love the investigator and I think that the alchemy part is spot on (the Alchemist is, in fact, my favorite APG class).

I was talking about the investigator in the context of using it as a Rogue replacement.

Remove ads