D&D 1E 1E Addition to 5E I would Pay A Premium For

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Not to sound snide or anything but my copy I bought in about November of 2014 is still holding together well for about two years. It seems to have been a very hit of miss thing with that early print run.

All three of my core books were preordered and therefore likely among the first batches of the first printing. All three are still in near-mint condition despite heavy use for two and a half years. The issues some have experienced are definitely the exception and not the rule as far as I can tell.

It's still some serious crap if WotC is making people pay international shipping for the return though. I live in the U.S. so it would be an issue for me, and neither I nor anybody I knew had to return their books, but that is a lousy customer service policy if it's true.

ccs

41st lv DM
I fully agree with you. My 1e books will outlast all other editions.
They're old & obviously well used. But (aside from UA - who's pages fell out a month after I got it) the worst damage is a crinkled cover on my 1st copy of the MM. It got wet on a camping trip one time.
My 1e books have 10s of 1ks of miles on them, have been drug about in various book bags, sealed in zip lock bags & backpacked through deserts, swamps, mountains, knee deep snow....
(I've not made it to a proper jungle. Nor have I used them underwater or in space/low orbit. Yet.)
So barring some extinction level event....

My original 2e books? Being that they entered play as I began college, they didn't see nearly the abuse my 1e stuff did.
Still, use & years weren't kind and the PHB/DMG are tatters.

I've no doubt that if my 3.5 & 5e books ever saw a fraction of what my 1e/2e stuff did that they'd just disintigrate.....

Does anyone know if it's possible to have 5e books rebound with stitching?
THAT I'd pay for.

guachi

Hero
1e books (outside of the junky OA and UA) are pretty indestructible, especially the original cover versions where the cover itself, not just the binding, is quite strong.

The binding on my 2e books is holding up fine but the corners are in worse shape. My 5e PHB, on the other hand, had fallen apart in only a few months. I, like many others, took the pages out and bound it. In my case, I used a comb binder that I already had and printed the cover on photo paper and bound it using an acetate cover. I stripped the spell book section out and bound that separately. The pages are thin and cheap, too.It really is a cheap piece of junk.

I would have paid extra for a Premium Edition of the PHB as it's by far my most used book.

Satyrn

First Post
I remember the condition of my 2nd Ed PH before I tossed it out (from moving and decluttering and). That thing had taken a lot of abuse, from regular use and from being left laid open flat and bent backwards and the like. The cover of the spine was gone, showing the binding itself - which still held just fine.

Satyrn

First Post
Also, [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION], I want to encourage you to keep posting what you want to say. You've had lots of interesting things to say, and have initiated lots of interesting and lengthy conversations that have engaged many people.

Please keep being you.

Mercule

Adventurer
As long as they only printed one monster per physical page I would love that. I hated having different monsters on the front and back because you couldn't properly alphabetize later additions. Drove me nuts.
This is what ultimately turned me off the Monstrous Compendium style. It sounds great, in theory. In reality, you end up with either having something that looks like it was alphabetized by a 2nd grader (close, but so, so wrong) or you give up and just put each expansion in its own tab -- which defeats the whole point.

Mercule

Adventurer
1e books (outside of the junky OA and UA) are pretty indestructible, especially the original cover versions where the cover itself, not just the binding, is quite strong.
My 1E DMG completely fell out of the binding. I've had it 3-hole punched in a binder for roughly 25 years, now. It's the second cover, so it may be a matter of a different binding.

Zardnaar

Legend
My 1E DMG completely fell out of the binding. I've had it 3-hole punched in a binder for roughly 25 years, now. It's the second cover, so it may be a matter of a different binding.

The Blumes switched to cheap binding later. The orange spine ones are weaker.

Xohar17

Explorer
Mine were bought as soon as they were released,and after around 2 years of use are still at almost mint condition, as are those of my friends, so we have no complaints here. I supose those with nad binding were the exeption rather than the rule.

Last edited:

Remove ads