Getting Dangerous With The Elite: Dangerous Role-Playing Game

Some RPGs are suited to telling a tight story, and some work best in a sandbox where players can explore and adventure as they please. The Elite: Dangerous RPG definitely falls into the latter category.

That makes sense, though, as the original Elite is arguably the granddaddy of open-world videogames. Despite coming on cassette tape and taking up considerably less memory than this web page, it allowed players to explore an entire galaxy of starbases, pirate bases and asteroid fields, and the tabletop version from Spidermind sets out to emulate the same feel of freedom and exploration.
Unlike its digital ancestors, however, the Elite: Dangerous RPG isn't designed around a lone-wolf star pilot but rather a whole party of them. Or possibly the term is 'squadron', as every player is expected to have their own ship, whether it's a single-seat fighter or a cruiser teeming with laser cannons.

It still sets out with the aim that any character can achieve any role they want though, and as such there's nothing even slightly resembling classes or even archetypes in the rulebook. Instead, you build your character by picking a number of background options that can determine everything from your childhood to your career. For example, if you decide that your character used to be an engineer they get extra points in their repair skill, while a brief foray into politics boosts their social skills.

The sheer range of options is staggering - apparently cheerleading at high school is worth +20 points in athletics - and set the scene for Elite as a whole. The entire game seems based around giving you choices to upgrade and tweak your character, their gear and their ship. Sometimes this could mean investing in a fresh rack of missiles, while others could involve dying your skin an attractive shade of blue for a bonus to social encounters.

In terms of crunch, therefore, the game is incredibly broad but not particularly deep. Everything from charming a contact to firing a chaingun is settled with the same core mechanic of trying to hit a target number by rolling a d10 with a skill bonus on top. Every ten points you have in a skill you gets you a +1, with early-game characters maxing out at around a +4 and only the greatest of pilots ever reaching the heights of a perfect +10.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing though, and for a game that looks so intimidating at first glance Elite: Dangerous is surprisingly quick to pick up, with the only truly complicated part of the rules being those for space combat. Even then, most players should be fairly comfortable with their options once they get a couple of encounters under their belt.

It's the kind of system that rewards players who like to tinker with their character and enjoy looking over weapon tables and lists of cybernetic enhancements, imagining how they'll use them in the next encounter. At the same time, it doesn't need them to spend hours on a single turn as they activate buffs and roll on endless tables.

The biggest flaw, perhaps, is in the universe itself. Elite has always been about the tales players made up for themselves rather than those presented in the fiction, and as sci-fi settings go the one presented in the Elite: Dangerous RPG is incredibly generic. Between the corporate-run Federation, feudalistic Empire and democratic but anarchic Alliance all the tropes you'd expect are well-represented, and at times it feels as though the game is calling out for some unique twist that shakes things up a little.

Appropriately enough then, it's up to the players to write the stories that make their galaxy come alive, and the Elite: Dangerous RPG certainly provides the tools for them to do that.

contributed by Richard Jansen-Parkes

Richard Jansen-Parkes

Richard Jansen-Parkes

G

Guest 6801328

I picked this up a few days ago and have read the character generation rules as well as perusing the rest of the book, albeit lightly. It is similar to Traveller, which I've played extensively, in that it takes place in a large universe, with governments and worlds spanning large areas of space, and with variety between those governments. It is also similar in that trade is part of the foundation of character activity, if players decide to go that route. Beyond those, it is unlike Traveller in that travel is faster, meaning that a story can take place across a larger area of space without having to accept the months of travel that Traveller requires between subsectors, to say nothing of while sectors of space.

The system is pretty light, and looks to provide for quick resolution of rolls at the table. There are no stats....read that again: no stats. Characters are defined by skills and a few others pools of points to account for damage and those used to increase the odds during encounters. The simple d10-based mechanic involves rolling at or above a target number with a d10+bonuses, most of which will come from skill scores. Damage is based on weapon plus extra coming from how much over the target number you roll. I think combat looks to be more fluid and faster than in Traveller, mechanically.

Also unlike Traveller, characters can actually advance in skill level over time, becoming considerably more capable over time. Yes, there is skill advancement in Traveller, but it's small and takes forever. Elite is more mainstream in this area.

I might add some more on this comparison later as I become more familiar with the game. but after a few days it looks like it'll fill the niche that Traveller does, with better, more modern rules and a universe that is more immediately accessible due to the technological assumptions at the root of the world.

No stats (by which I assume you mean "ability scores") is really interesting. I'm a bit skeptical, but I'd be willing to try it.

Is there anything that makes characters better at some skill categories than others? E.g., Character A happens to be better at skills that evolve thinking than he is at skills that involve manual dexterity, even though there's no "Int" or "Dex" score?

lyle.spade

Adventurer
No stats (by which I assume you mean "ability scores") is really interesting. I'm a bit skeptical, but I'd be willing to try it.

Is there anything that makes characters better at some skill categories than others? E.g., Character A happens to be better at skills that evolve thinking than he is at skills that involve manual dexterity, even though there's no "Int" or "Dex" score?

You are correct: no stats. Skills are categorized as being either Personal Combat, Vehicle, Intelligence, Social, or Espionage in focus, and are built up during character generation by selecting Backgrounds, each of which comes with skill bonuses. There are also two different Defense numbers, one for Dodge and one for Parry, and Initiative, Karma, and Endurance. Karma can spent spent to activate special abilities, which are akin to Feats in other systems - things like "I Have You Now..." which provides a bonus to one's Dogfighting (starfighter combat) roll.

It's clearly unusual to not have ability scores in the traditional sense, but if the mechanics of the game involve rolling dice + some bonus, does it really matter what goes into that bonus? Take 5e: one's DEX bonus will help with ranged attacks, but what really matters is the total bonus to the die roll...that's what makes the mechanical difference. I've not gotten deep enough into the book to find out how one would roll to kick down a door or lift something heavy, although there is an "Athletics" skill, which is probably the catch-all for such things.

Skills, by the way, are ranked from 1-100, with the die roll bonus being that number divided by 10, rounded down. Everyone starts with 10 in every skill, then Backgrounds add a variety, and then there is a pool that the player uses to round out the skills package.

The game is built on the assumption of wide-spread knowledge of technology usage, to the extent that every PC is a trained pilot (minimum score of 10, for a roll bonus of +1). It reminds me some of Star Wars - the movies, that is - where it seems that anyone can drive or fly anything with at least a base level of proficiency. Perhaps the conceit is that PCs are not going to be dirt farmers on some distant planet, or slum dogs...they're going to be exceptional, and therefore will know how to do a lot of things.

On the topic of character generation and Backgrounds, each PC gets 4 background points. Each Background costs one or two points, with the two-point options offering more skills and higher bonuses. Thus, you could choose "Born on the Streets," then progress to having been an "Anarchist," and then join the Army after your misspent youth. The first two cost 1 point each; the Army costs 2. Each of these provide different skills and bonuses and in some cases special abilities. There are 52 different Backgrounds from which to choose, and those together determine the mechanical expression of the character, with story ideas thrown in.

I'll keep reading. Ask questions if you'd like and I'll do my best to answer them.

nijineko

Explorer
I played what I believe was the original version, on 5.25" floppy disks, in the late 80s on my Apple IIc. I remember the space stations were all d20s and the dogfighting and trading made for a really interesting, immersive game. In retrospect, it was way ahead of its time, and was amazingly playable given (what we now consider to be) the limitations of the technology. :)

I would suggest Oolite for those interested in an updated yet still true-to-core of the original Elite. Open source and mod-able.

Lord Irongron

First Post
I've been an elite fan for years.

I played the original back in the 80s and play Elite Dangerous today.

Though saying that the notion of an RPG doesn't really appeal to me. Elite Dangeous is an unusual computer game in that it includes a ton of text. They make huge efforts to give the setting some real narrative, and one could spend many hours just reading through the various news feeds about system events without ever leaving the space station.

But I must admit to finding it all rather dry, the world certainly doesn't grab me in the way that others do. Perhaps I just don't have the patience, because I certainly respect what they're doing.

Has anyone here really given this RPG a good shot? I'd be interested to hear about the experience.

aramis erak

Legend
I'm a fan of Elite, as well... however, I found Elite Dangerous too damned hard to play, even with a controller.

I am curious to see the RPG, as well, but it's not in my budget now.

cmad1977

Hero
I'm a fan of Elite, as well... however, I found Elite Dangerous too damned hard to play, even with a controller.

I am curious to see the RPG, as well, but it's not in my budget now.

My biggest issue with Elite was that for a multi player game... it’s a real pain in the bum to play with your friends.

Wanna run missions together? Ok.. well I’m in system A... you’re in system B... that’s... 6 jumps away... plus flight time to the station...
Etc.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Just wrote a review of it. Overall, I am happy with it and looking forward to running it. A player in my group read over the rules and is enthusiastic, too. As I said before, feel free to hit me up with questions - they'll motivate me to keep going back through the book.

My review is here.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This game has a really unfortunate abbreviation.
BigSpeak-Motivational-Speakers-Bureau-bob-dole.jpg

Bob Dole disagrees.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases