How would you portray Shadowfell versions of the four main elemental planes?

Oofta

Legend
I like [MENTION=6801361]ChameleonX[/MENTION]'s descriptions, I'm not sure I could do much better.

I will add that when I do shadowfell/feywild I steal quite a bit from TV shows and movies. The shadowfell is a dream world where everything is muted and subdued. Colors struggle to bleed through the gray and shadow, everything looks and smells old and dusty. Even the ground beneath your feat is dry and dusty or a slick greasy feel to the mud. The despair and gloom hang heavy. If you are not careful you will simply lay down and wait to die, no longer caring.

So muted senses including sight, touch, smell, hearing. Everything has a dream-like feel to it. So even in a shadowfell plane of fire the fire is going to be muted and colorless. The heat will still hurt but somehow not feel as hot.

The feywild is just the opposite. Everything there is just ... more. More intense colors, more brilliant smells and sounds to the point of being almost overwhelming. People feel more alert, like they have suddenly woken from a dream. The danger is that you might be entranced by a babbling brook that sounds like the most intense musical chorus you have ever heard. If you are not careful you could lose yourself watching the light sparkle in the splashes of water against rock.

So that plane of fire is going to have flames that hypnotize and dance a mesmerizing, intricate pattern. It does not burn hotter, but you feel the flame, smell the smoke more intensely.

Remove ads