Scales of War Adventure Path... How is it?

Vanuslux

Explorer
I've been DMing a Scales of War group and I have to say the whole adventure path seems disjointed. The NPCs and plot don't flow from one adventure to the next. It feels like each writer works independent of any kind of overarching plan and just tries to build on what has been written before.

Actually it feels alot like a game of DnD telephone.

Yeah, it has a very sloppy feel to it.

Primal

First Post
APs are good for introducing worlds. Pathfinder is a great example, tons of back story and interesting info along with some reasonable adventures. Saying that; the AoW AP utterly killed any interest I had in 3.x and in Greyhawk for that matter and the ST read to be just as bad.

Trying to create an AP in a ‘generic’ world is not going to give you a good product in the end and defeats the whole point of the AP. If I am going to ever DM an AP again I want it to have ALL the information in it I need… I don’t want to have to do any prep work outside of reading it. The current AP in Dungeon is soulless because it does not have a larger world wrap around it and if I am going to spend the time generating that then I am going to spend the time making my own adventures.

I hope they have learned that and will create the next AP in FR or in whatever campaign world they are going to publish after Eberron. I know they want adventures that are easy to put into any world… but they already have that with the rest of Dungeon, they should be using the APs to put a spot light on a world.

Hmmm... I loved the first adventures in AoW, but it did turn into a silly Godslaying Quest at some point, and some of the adventures did not make sense to me. We played a heavily modified version of it in my group, and the DM also included lots and lots of hand-outs that shed more light on the backstory (because if you run it "as is", there's too much stuff going on that will just not make any sense to the players).

I have to say that the 'Whispering Cairn' by Erik Mona stands out as my favorite adventure ever published in the Dungeon Magazine (Willie Walsh's adventures come as a close second). :)

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I have to say that the 'Whispering Cairn' by Erik Mona stands out as my favorite adventure ever published in the Dungeon Magazine (Willie Walsh's adventures come as a close second). :)

Hey, thanks! That's really high praise, and I appreciate it.

Have you had a chance to check out my "Howl of the Carrion King," the lead-in adventure to the Legacy of Fire Adventure Path in Pathfinder #19?

I'm pretty pleased with it, and early reports are pretty encouraging.

--Erik

Hawke

Explorer
I like a lot of the individual adventures, but I felt too much that I was having to create the "Adventure Path" myself. To me they mostly feel no different than some of the other Dungeon adventures that might be set in a similar local (for instance, the recent adventure set in Fallcrest).

Right now I'm doing Temple Between to cap off the heroic... but it looks like I'll be leaving the path to do a feywild hybrid stealing NPCs/encounters from Trollhaunt Warrens/Dark Heart of Mithrendain to work through the first quarter of Paragon.

I'll probably rejoin the adventure path for Stone-Skinned King and work toward Raven Queen's Enclave. Not sure if we'll rejoin at that point ... guess we'll have to see how SoW Epic is.

Betote

First Post
Have you had a chance to check out my "Howl of the Carrion King," the lead-in adventure to the Legacy of Fire Adventure Path in Pathfinder #19?

If it helps, I'm currently running it, and it's being a blast. I love how the PCs have a more or less clear mission, but no established way to accomplish it. It's full of possible events and places to go.

I don't want to sound fanboyish, but it dethroned Keep on the Borderlands as my sandbox starting module of choice.

It's not the best module I've ever run, though. That place is reserved for The Hook Mountain Massacre. But that's just because I'm a sick puppy ;)

fletch137

Explorer
The biggest hazard for me and my group in any Adventure Path is the very real risk that characters will die or the players will want to pursue goals aside from the narration of the Path. Any AP that's strung together too tightly can really derail at the loss of a key character or two, and wouldn't have the leeway to allow PCs to go off and do whatever.

I personally LOVE that Scales of War is more a series of loosely related adventures rather than detailed chapters of a larger story. Not only is it more generous in allowing new characters to join mid-stream, and even allows enough wiggle room for other adventures more customized to player goals.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Hi all. Looking to run this in 5E. There are some good sources out there. Being tentatively linked does not bother me either, as I doubt we will play much of the path. This is just going to be one hook of several I provide in my sandbox.

Main thing I want to know is, is there ANY reason this starts in Brindol? (I'm only getting ties to the Red Hand). But, it looks like the rest takes place outside Elsir Vale?

Does any of the rest of the AP actually happen in the Vale itself?

Also, I just read first part of Rescue at Rivenroar. I did not see an explanation of HOW the hobgoblins etc got into the city with carts etc to cause this carnage! Brindol is a very well protected town! I think I would use the opening in one of the smaller villages of the vale - especially as it seems you are off out of the Vale anyway. I mean Rivenroar isn't even in there? A long way to be carting prisoners.

Why didn't they use a small village and then Bristol as main town instead of this Overwatch?

is there something I am missing?

Main thing I want to know is, is there ANY reason this starts in Brindol? (I'm only getting ties to the Red Hand). But, it looks like the rest takes place outside Elsir Vale?

Does any of the rest of the AP actually happen in the Vale itself?

Also, I just read first part of Rescue at Rivenroar. I did not see an explanation of HOW the hobgoblins etc got into the city with carts etc to cause this carnage! Brindol is a very well protected town! I think I would use the opening in one of the smaller villages of the vale - especially as it seems you are off out of the Vale anyway. I mean Rivenroar isn't even in there? A long way to be carting prisoners.

Why didn't they use a small village and then Bristol as main town instead of this Overwatch?

is there something I am missing?
It's been a while since I read it, but (apart from the link to the Red Hand, which only applies to the bad guys in the first adventure) there is no reason why it has to be in the Vale at all. From what I remember, the basic "hero tier" plot is that a mysterious somebody is selling a lot of weapons to a lot of different groups of troublemakers, which can happen just about anywhere.

I do like Overwatch. I think it has a pretty cool vibe to it, and is more interesting than generic fantasy town #16842 aka Brindol.

Remove ads