tail wags dog: streamers want to say 'aaargh' so we are getting a pirate adventure

ccs

41st lv DM
Grognards like me are free to ignore the pirate adventure just as we ignore the streamers, but this means we are ignoring a huge portion of the official release schedule. This is why the book can be though of as a tax: we 'pay' it so we can continue to enjoy our Greyhawk homebrew, the one crunch book per year, and outstanding 3rd party 5e products.

So let me get this straight.... When the pirate adventure (or whatever it turns out to be) is released you're going to spend your $ on it - even if you don't want it - just to participate in the release schedule?

I'm sorry, but that just means your stupid.

pogre

Legend
I think BMaC 's friend took the idea a bit too far, but we should all admit that streamers are driving some choices made for new releases. Probably, rightly so, given their current impact on the game.

I love sea stuff - I own lots of model boats and aquatic monsters. However, my D&D has not mixed well with it in the past. There are much better systems for swashbuckling adventure or even sea-based adventure.

Mercurius

Legend
So let me get this straight.... When the pirate adventure (or whatever it turns out to be) is released you're going to spend your $ on it - even if you don't want it - just to participate in the release schedule?

Oh, sweet irony!

BMaC

Adventurer

You misunderstood I'm afraid. I'll wait until it comes out before I decide to buy it or not. It may contain some useful character options such as spells or sub classes.

I think BMaC 's friend took the idea a bit too far, but we should all admit that streamers are driving some choices made for new releases. Probably, rightly so, given their current impact on the game.

I love sea stuff - I own lots of model boats and aquatic monsters. However, my D&D has not mixed well with it in the past. There are much better systems for swashbuckling adventure or even sea-based adventure.

I agree, just as there are better systems for steampunk. I suspect WotC knows this and will be very light-touch---not much more in-depth than the UA--with the rules. Flavor rather than rules.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

But that's axiomatic to the point of being a useless statement: "customer desires are driving what is being made" has always been true in the history of D&D.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

I think what he means is that he will ignore books they release and not buy them. But WotC doesn't seem to be under the illusion that everybody will buy every book, they are interested in stimulating play, not achieving 100% attachment which is impossible for multi-millions of players.

Mercurius

Legend
Let's see, who should have a larger say in determining the direction of the game?

Streamers who are a major component in the unprecedented popularity of D&D, at least since the early 80s; or,

Grognards who aren't happy with anything unless the game is dialed back to the early 80s (if not 70s).

Hmm...

This has nothing to do with what I personally want to see published or what type of game I like to play (which is rather diverse, but aside from the issue). Let's step back from our own hopes and dreams for a minute, and understand and accept that WotC is doing a great job right now. The proof is in the pudding, after all.

Stop asking WotC to fulfill your hopes and dreams, especially when you know they are idiosyncratic and/or quite divergent from the current zeitgeist, and instead use your hopes and dreams as fuel for your own games - that's the point after all, no?

pogre

Legend
But that's axiomatic to the point of being a useless statement: "customer desires are driving what is being made" has always been true in the history of D&D.
Disagree. D&D has often taken directions without regard to customer desire. Your statement is demonstrably untrue.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Disagree. D&D has often taken directions without regard to customer desire. Your statement is demonstrably untrue.

Has it, though...? At least some portion of the perceived audience, even if the data was flawed. TSR was definitely pandering all the time, and WotC has been, too. Nothing new under the Sun.

Remove ads