tail wags dog: streamers want to say 'aaargh' so we are getting a pirate adventure

G

Guest 6801328

A friend of mine has an interesting theory. Streamers such as Critical Role and the like are a tax that grognards like me pay. The play style of streamers is unrepresentative but for whatever inscrutable reason they attract younger players to the game. The grognard gets the benefits a large market brings: notability the presence of flourishing third party publishers (Kobold Press and Goodman Games ftw); access to a larger player base; continued expansion of the D&D IP and corporate support for the franchise. The theory continues: classic dungeon crawls and their ilk are of no use to streamers: they are heavy on encounters which streaming is not and it is harder to work in the one-liners and 'humorous' one-upmanship which is the streamer's bread and butter. To conclude, we are getting a pirate adventure because streamers want to say 'aaargh.' Grognards like me are free to ignore the pirate adventure just as we ignore the streamers, but this means we are ignoring a huge portion of the official release schedule. This is why the book can be though of as a tax: we 'pay' it so we can continue to enjoy our Greyhawk homebrew, the one crunch book per year, and outstanding 3rd party 5e products.

No no no...you're doing it wrong! When blaming everything you don't like about the evolution in gaming since 1977 on "those durned kids" it's considered de rigeuer to invoke video games as the underlying cause.

No wonder they won't get off your lawn if you can't even get that much right.

I like how the OP seems to suggest that nautical/pirate-themed adventures are something that could only come about due to stream viewer requests, then hoists their Greyhawk banner in the last line of the post...

...but still somehow conveniently forgets the existence of the Pomarj/Wild Coast, the Lords of the Isles, and Sea Barons.

Last edited:

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
A friend of mine has an interesting theory. Streamers such as Critical Role and the like are a tax that grognards like me pay. The play style of streamers is unrepresentative but for whatever inscrutable reason they attract younger players to the game. The grognard gets the benefits a large market brings: notability the presence of flourishing third party publishers (Kobold Press and Goodman Games ftw); access to a larger player base; continued expansion of the D&D IP and corporate support for the franchise. The theory continues: classic dungeon crawls and their ilk are of no use to streamers: they are heavy on encounters which streaming is not and it is harder to work in the one-liners and 'humorous' one-upmanship which is the streamer's bread and butter. To conclude, we are getting a pirate adventure because streamers want to say 'aaargh.' Grognards like me are free to ignore the pirate adventure just as we ignore the streamers, but this means we are ignoring a huge portion of the official release schedule. This is why the book can be though of as a tax: we 'pay' it so we can continue to enjoy our Greyhawk homebrew, the one crunch book per year, and outstanding 3rd party 5e products.

Well there's always the option to play with the old rules, and I hear there's a renaissance with the OSR scene, a lot of products are being released using those rules and a great many excellent ones. You might derive great enjoyment and fun playing those games rather than begrudgingly conforming to the current rules and times.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Waaaa?

X1-The Isle of Dread. 1981. The adventure which came with Expert edition. Very popular. The characters find a fragment from a ship's log, describing a mysterious island on which many treasures can be found, and set out to explore it. Ring a bell?

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Waaaa?

X1-The Isle of Dread. 1981. The adventure which came with Expert edition. Very popular. The characters find a fragment from a ship's log, describing a mysterious island on which many treasures can be found, and set out to explore it. Ring a bell?

My players have PTSD from me running that adventure...

I mean, hasn't everyone wanted to do a pirate campaign? It's always been on my top 5.

Its not originally what I had planned on running next; my original plan was, after this current campaign, start a new one in the southern half of the continent and have a full-on Kingdom building sandbox. However, every one of my players begged for a pirate game. I've been toying with converting Skull & Shackles to 5e for this purpose, just so I don't have to write a new campaign from scratch, but if I get an AP that's already about pirates and in 5e, might just do that...

3catcircus

Adventurer
So let me get this straight.... When the pirate adventure (or whatever it turns out to be) is released you're going to spend your $ on it - even if you don't want it - just to participate in the release schedule?

I'm sorry, but that just means your stupid.

That isn't what he seems to mean. Rather, that some other product that has more appeal could have been developed and released on that schedule, had it not been taken up by this product.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Let's see, who should have a larger say in determining the direction of the game?

Streamers who are a major component in the unprecedented popularity of D&D, at least since the early 80s; or,

Grognards who aren't happy with anything unless the game is dialed back to the early 80s (if not 70s).

Hmm...

This has nothing to do with what I personally want to see published or what type of game I like to play (which is rather diverse, but aside from the issue). Let's step back from our own hopes and dreams for a minute, and understand and accept that WotC is doing a great job right now. The proof is in the pudding, after all.

Stop asking WotC to fulfill your hopes and dreams, especially when you know they are idiosyncratic and/or quite divergent from the current zeitgeist, and instead use your hopes and dreams as fuel for your own games - that's the point after all, no?

Except that streamers and their audiences likely don't have any more of an impact to potential sales than grognards, or 3ed lovers, or those wishing for more Eberron stuff.

Their perceived impact and their actual impact are likely vastly different.

OB1

Jedi Master
Much more likely that Critical Role is following WoTCs lead than vice versa.

At the time CR went pirate I thought the players were hijacking the campaign from Mercer, but with this being the Spring release it’s hard to believe it a coincidence that Mercer wasn’t aware and the most popular live play campaign in 5e just happened to go in the same direction.

Remove ads