D&D 5E What rules from previous editions do you keep forgetting aren't in 5E?

dagger

Adventurer
The fact that female characters don't have a max strength that is lower than male characters.

:cool:

Last edited:

hejtmane

Explorer
I actually houseruled the '1 is an automatic fail' thing back into the game; only way to keep a Rogue player on his toes!

Opportunity Attacks are the main one that people struggle to forget at first; very hard to get out of the mindset that there is a long list of ways to provoke one. Another thing that people like to do is get into Flanking position. We know that it doesn't do anything, but a decade and a half of the term is hard to shake!

Optional rule in DMG though if you want to use flanking page 251 (gives advantage on attack rolls)

I also house ruled auto hit on 20 and auto fail on 1

I have young guys I am teaching the game ages 17-19 and they love the house rule because funny things happen when you cirticial fail but to be fair I also have the same rule for the bad guys. I made them aware it was a house rule and they implemented it at their school club they started as while and everyone loves the random omg did thta just happen because along with the fail things happen.

I played 3.5 once and 2e a few times all my old school days of playing where 99% D&D and 1e so some of these 3.5 and 4.0 arguments I just shrug my shoulders because I have no real clue

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
I feel like there was another thread on this very subject not that long ago. It may have gotten eaten by the forum reset. Can't remember.

ccs

41st lv DM
As I've mentioned before in other threads, I'm a 1e DM/player - no matter what edition I'm actually playing.
As such, the 1 rule that is always stuck in my head is Ability Score checks. Roll equal or under your score on a d20. A 20 always fails.

pdzoch

Explorer
Yeah, there are still lots of times that people think a natural 20 on a skill check means they can do anything. In the spirit of the game, if it’s not too egregious, I’ll allow it, though.

People ask about flanking from time to time, too.

Same here on flanking. But it is the optional rules in the back.

ccs

41st lv DM
We all keep referring to Will and Reflex Saves...

Yep. I'll ask for Stat saves or Will/Reflex/Fort saves interchangeably & not even notice. The players just have to translate accordingly.
One of the groups 5e only players eventually made a note next to his stats. The other 5e only players soon copied him & then taught it to our newest player.
And the game flows right along no matter what save I call for. :)

Thanks! I couldn't find it on my phone. [MENTION=13703]Olaf the Stout[/MENTION]: Check out the linked thread. It has lots more of the same thing.

Cheers, I did do a search for a similar thread, but clearly rolled a 1 for my "search" check, which is a critical failure in 5E right? Must have needed someone to "aid another" to give me a +2 to my roll.

That thread and this one should hopefully help my group avoid other common rule pitfalls from changing editions.

Croesus

Adventurer
For morale checks, I still roll a d12 to see if the bad guys stay or run. I think there's an optional rule in the DMG about making a Wisdom save, but I've used d12 since 1E days, so I kept it.

We recently had a battle with some goblins. The leader was down. All but one of his followers were down. And that last goblin just would not run away (rolled 11 or 12 every time). The party praised his courage...as they killed him dead. :)

Remove ads