tail wags dog: streamers want to say 'aaargh' so we are getting a pirate adventure

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A friend of mine has an interesting theory. Streamers such as Critical Role and the like are a tax that grognards like me pay.

And by "pay" you mean "are annoyed by on principle, even though I can ignore their content"?

A tax is a thing that you have to pay. How, exactly, do streaming gamers cost you anything? This sounds like, "I'm allergic to lemongrass, so Thai restaurants are a tax for me."

To conclude, we are getting a pirate adventure because streamers want to say 'aaargh.'

Except for two things:

1) The timelines don't work out. The development lead time on adventures and supplements is very long, and on streaming game productions much less so - it is most probable that the product was already well into in development before the streamers went that way.

2) The streaming show is *a business*. If the streamers want to say "Arrgh" they are doing it because they expect the audience wants them to say "Arrgh!" In this case, possibly because there's going to be a highly relevant product out that their audience will engage with....

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I like how the OP seems to suggest that nautical/pirate-themed adventures are something that could only come about due to stream viewer requests, then hoists their Greyhawk banner in the last line of the post...

...but still somehow conveniently forgets the existence of the Pomarj/Wild Coast, the Lords of the Isles, and Sea Barons.

Right?!? What could be more Appendix N than being a pirate in a coastla jungle region?

5ekyu

Hero
Much more likely that Critical Role is following WoTCs lead than vice versa.

At the time CR went pirate I thought the players were hijacking the campaign from Mercer, but with this being the Spring release it’s hard to believe it a coincidence that Mercer wasn’t aware and the most popular live play campaign in 5e just happened to go in the same direction.
Huh.

The character came into the game with the sea backstory etc and iirc it was the gang heading yo that area on their own that got them in Jesters backstory neck of the woods and Fjords etc.

Black helpos aside, that's one heckuva timing for such a conspiracy imagined.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Much more likely that Critical Role is following WoTCs lead than vice versa.
If I had to come up with a conspiracy theory between WotC and CR, it'd be that WotC let Mr. Mercer know they were working on ship stuff and he ran with it.

Rather than the other direction.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If I had to come up with a conspiracy theory between WotC and CR, it'd be that WotC let Mr. Mercer know they were working on ship stuff and he ran with it.

Rather than the other direction.

Well, Mercer was in Seattle in the WotC recording Dragon Talk on camera with Chris Perkins a few real-time days after the Might Nein surprised him and stole a ship: it would not shock me in the slightest if they slipped him some material to test on-stream during that visit.

jgsugden

Legend
Mercer may have had some inside information that pirates were an emphasis for 2019... but I doubt he cared or changed anything in his plans if he did know. Look at his history - he is not beholden to WotC in any when when it comes to running his game. He runs his game like most DMs do - by crafting the story he wants to lead and watching his players randomize those plans like crazy.

The Big BZ

Explorer
I am the OP's friend with the theory!

Context:
I own every published physical 5th edition product so far and l have them all on Beyond. I have played in or run every AP so far and am currently DMing DotMM (Level 14), run a 9 table Adventurers League night, co-host a D&D (not actual play) podcast and spend countless €€€€ on out of print and third party products every month. I am as hardcore a fan as it gets really!

What streamers represent is a rarified version of a playstyle that Wizards are trying to cater for. Witness the Season 8 AL modules, particulary Once in Waterdeep and the first two Tier 1 trilogies. They explicity push a type of slapstick, extra playstyle. The OP, I guess, is saying that this drive to cater for heavy RP doesn't suit everyone and is part of a move to cater to a wider audience. And again, while that particular playstyle isn't for me, if it means continued health and expansion of the game I will suffer the move to cater for it.

I think you are playing the wrong role playing game.
Any time you tell someone that they are playing the wrong game, even with your preface of 'I don't want to be a jerk but' I think you need to have a bit of a look at yourself.

Remove ads