[FR] Illefarn Song Portals

WaterRabbit

Explorer
I am planning on using a Song Portal in an upcoming session. Has anyone done anything cool with a Song Portal other than just an instant transport from point a to point b?

I am looking the concept of the song path, but haven't seen where that idea has been fully fleshed out. I am thinking that the journey should have a couple of interesting locations where the players interact with ancient guardians that require a performance to pass or something like that.

My party is currently stranded on a small deserted island so I am looking for an interesting way for them to escape without being too Deus Ex Machina. The adventure I am using as my foundation is The Red Isle, but it has the players find a Teleportation scroll at the end which seems a bit too contrived to me.

aco175

Legend
Song portals can be old and temperamental. This would be a great focus on a bard character. You can make it like a skill challenge so the others can join in. I used to have portals guarded by fey creatures that needed to be negotiated with or beaten in combat. Judge your players to see how long they want to adventure in the portal before getting to the right destination. This can be a great opportunity to introduce new locations or adventure. Steal from the movies and TV shows that feature this. I think my group would go a night or two of play before they would want to wrap it up.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
So for anyone interested, I created a Song Path that uses the concept of an exploration of Deep Sashelas realm of Tir Faoi Thoinn. It looks at the ocean from three different vantage points - a cliff where the ocean crashes into an island, from deep under the water near Sashelas' home in the Moonshae Isles of Tir Faoi Thoinn, what was a calm quite beach but is now in the middle of the Mere of Dead Men, and finally the starting point which was destroyed during the construction of Waterdeep.

Remove ads