• A proliferation of campaign settings

Votes: 69 23.2%
  • Dragon & Dungeon magazines in print

Votes: 119 40.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 22 7.4%

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I find it hard to believe they can't put out a magazine when you have something like Gygax magazine (whose fifth issues just came out). Oh sure, it's only quarterly, but it's almost literally an '80s Dragon.

The thing is, now that D&D is owned by Hasbro, they want the maximum amount of profits for the least amount of effort.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I voted boxed sets, though settings comes a very close second. The reason - boxed sets can have a lot of fun fiddly bits that you wouldn't get in a book or PDF. Everything, absolutely every other type of product, would be better as a PDF, in my opinion. That's why magazines are dead and should stay dead. Nostalgia aside, there is nothing in a printed magazine when it comes to content that can't be presented better in a PDF or other electronic format.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I really enjoyed getting new magazines every month, even if I rarely used anything from them. It was fun to read other people's creative output and let my imagination run free.

jeffh

Adventurer
Last year, about this time, a larger RPG publisher was inquiring about the possibility of releasing a boxed set that might include a GM screen, a 96 page, soft bound handbook, some dice, some cardboard, punch out tokens for minis, and a single 24 x 36 inch, full color, folded map - for a total production of around 20,000 boxes. Although the price per unit came out to about $7, that was with a $30K+ investment.... The project hasn't come to fruition, but I figure the quote I provided, though very competitive, was inordinately high in cost.
Inordinately high compared to what? That doesn't sound that bad. Of course, hardly anyone in this industry can do 20,000 units on a reliable basis, but if I thought I could I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

juboke

Explorer
I voted settings. I would like to see a hardback for Greyhawk, Dark Sun, and Oriental Adventures (Kara-Tur).

I would like Dragon and Dungeon back regardless of format.

Remove ads