We Were All New D&D Players Once

As a dungeon master and co-owner of a tabletop game and comic book shop, I meet brand-new players virtually every time I'm behind the counter or the DM screen. D&D’s recent popularity explosion has brought in countless new players. They usually are feeling both excited and intimidated, and it's my job to maintain that excitement and add confidence too.

I certainly understand the intimidation factor. Compared to a lot of other players, I'm relatively new myself. Until a year ago, I mostly stuck to the comics side of our shop because I never learned how to play D&D. My handful of attempts to play prior to that were frustrating and bewildering. I always had to play with groups of veteran players. I didn’t know what was going on or what I was supposed to do because nothing was explained to me. None of the other players seemed to comprehend that there was a learning curve, so I had a terrible time. I thought the game just wasn't for me.

Thanks to binge-watching Critical Role, I eventually got some context for how the game worked and how it could be fun. What a revelation! I’ve made up for lost time over the past year, and started to DM last fall. Now I run a table at D&D Adventurer’s League every week, as well as a weekly game for kids ages 8-14. I've had a lot of opportunities to observe games with new players who were welcomed with varying degrees of success, and I’ve learned a few things.

If you are a DM, a veteran player, or anyone else who deals with newbies -- particularly when you play with strangers at a game shop or convention -- here are some simple things to consider if you want them to have a good time. (If you don't want them to have a good time, go away, your fun is wrong.)

Remember: You Were a Newbie Once Too
Nothing kills a person’s excitement about a group activity like having others in the group treat them like they already should be an expert. When you’ve been playing for a long time, it becomes second nature to you, but it’s easy to forget how complicated it is for someone who is unfamiliar with the game. There are so many rules, and a lot of strange terminology the average person isn’t likely to know. None of us were born knowing which die was which, what initiative is, or how proficency works. And it’s hard to look things up in the Player’s Handbook if you don’t yet know what you’re searching for.

Make an Insight Check
We’re not all proficient in Insight, but you can always try. Ideally, the DM will make the newbie feel comfortable before the game starts, and encourage them to ask questions as they arise. If you’re playing, be a friendly neighbor. Give them space to figure things out for themselves, but be willing to offer encouragement or assistance to your neighbor in a gentle and lighthearted way. My kid players can do it without making the new player feel bad, so I believe in you!

Don’t Split the Party
When I finally started playing D&D on a regular basis, I was lucky enough to land with a group who made an effort to make me feel like I was part of the gang right away. I had a general sense of how the game worked from watching streaming games, but when I was actually at the table, I was still a little confused during the first few sessions.

I always will be grateful to the DM because he was kind and helpful, and always encouraged other players to help each other as well. The people sitting next to me could point to things on my character sheet so I learned how to figure out what I was rolling, calculate damage, and so forth. They were supportive, let me feel included, and never made me feel like I was slowing the game down or being a bother. In fact, when I was finally able to find creative and effective ways to help the party, they were almost as excited as I was.

Share the Loot
Maybe you’re reading this and thinking, “This is common sense! Who isn’t already doing this?” Good for you! But sadly, common sense is rarer than it should be. I have watched many people sigh and roll their eyes and make new players feel awkward, or just leave a new player flailing. Don’t be that person. Give the newbie a chance to share the love of the hobby. With a kind attitude, you can set a good precedent and help build a positive D&D community around you.

contributed by Annie Bulloch

KenNYC

Explorer
I think the strong fantasy archetypes are the core of D&D. I agree about not playing characters who diverge from those for 'the first time out' but I also think it's best to have all characters be strong archetypes. In the end all of the characters will be cliches. It's the fate of the format. The stronger the archetype though the stronger that character will stand out.

I think this is one reason 5e has resonated so well with people. The sorts of characters new players should play are the sorts of characters that work well for everyone.

I'll be honest. I am in my 50s, started playing when only two of the three books were out, saw all the geek staple movies like Exacalibur, Beastmaster and various Harryhausen epics...and I still have no idea what an Arcane Trickster is. I never heard of that term before I got back to the game a few years ago, and I wouldn't even tell a new player such a class even exists, or that tieflings are a thing, or dragonborn. Everyone knows what a dwarf is; that's good enough for your first few sessions. I was in a game a year or so back when the new book came out and this guy decided to play a "Triton". Well, it is just lucky I was a Fantastic Four fan as a kid and knew who Triton was there because that's all I had to go on with that, and sure enough it is close enough. Keeping it simple with new players can only help.

I'll be honest. I am in my 50s, started playing when only two of the three books were out, saw all the geek staple movies like Exacalibur, Beastmaster and various Harryhausen epics...and I still have no idea what an Arcane Trickster is. I never heard of that term before I got back to the game a few years ago, and I wouldn't even tell a new player such a class even exists,
Grey Mouser from the Leiber books, that also inspired the concept of "Thieves's Guilds". He and some other Lankhmar content were in 1e's Deities & Demigods
View attachment 97926

The name dates back to a 3e Prestige Class. \

Basic D&D was the perfect learning system. You could literally have your character in 5 minutes and there were almost no rules. WoTC should bring it back as a starter set variant. And God Bless In Search Of The Unknown and Keep On The Borderlands for walking new DMs through the game.
Basic D&D still exists. It's a PDF on the WotC website. The PHB is "Advanced D&D". (They actually considered naming it as such, but decided not to.)

I had a fun conversation with a TSR employee from the AD&D days and he was talking about how most new players skipped over Basic for Advanced because they wanted to play the "real" game. Basic primarily sold to older and more experienced gamers who wanted a lighter and more narrative experience.
Even back in the '80s, Basic & Advanced were kind of a bad idea. Because if you got into Basic, it was a different game than Advanced. It was basically a competing RPG. Which is problematic as you really want people to go from your starter box right into the main game without any conversion or changes to their character.

Count_Zero

Adventurer
My rule of thumb, on the small handful of occasions where I've run games (which was also for new players), was that at the end of any session, before level 3, the new player could re-spec. By the time they hit level 3, they should have a pretty good idea of how to play their class.

Li Shenron

Legend
My rule of thumb, on the small handful of occasions where I've run games (which was also for new players), was that at the end of any session, before level 3, the new player could re-spec. By the time they hit level 3, they should have a pretty good idea of how to play their class.

That's not a bad idea... You can have the advantages of using pre-gens in the first session (i.e. avoid intimitating beginners with the amount of choices, start the actual game immediately, skip explanation of every single stat), but you still put players in charge of character design, only spread it a bit more in time: replace some spells they don't like with others, swap some proficiencies or even ability scores (although the latter may require calculations on the character sheet). Normally I am good enough with pregens created with the most sensible choices, and then players in charge of all choices after 1st level, but your idea could be good for players who want more control also on that 1st level.

Is grey Mouser one of the failed characters from Disney's Mickey Mouse Club house?
My son outgrew Mickey Mouse Clubhouse a few years back, so I don't know all the characters in that.

Mickey Mouse does pre-date the Nehwon/ Lankhmar books and the Grey Mouser. But only by eight years. So it's more likely a "Grey Mouser" in MMCH pulled its name from Leiber.

Count_Zero

Adventurer
That's not a bad idea... You can have the advantages of using pre-gens in the first session (i.e. avoid intimitating beginners with the amount of choices, start the actual game immediately, skip explanation of every single stat), but you still put players in charge of character design, only spread it a bit more in time: replace some spells they don't like with others, swap some proficiencies or even ability scores (although the latter may require calculations on the character sheet). Normally I am good enough with pregens created with the most sensible choices, and then players in charge of all choices after 1st level, but your idea could be good for players who want more control also on that 1st level.

Also, part of the reason for doing it at the end of the session is that it doesn't cost playtime, and the player will have had just observed how their charater worked (or didn't) in play - and this works whether you're using pre-gens or if the players created their own characters (as was the case in my game).

Speaking of which - when my players created their characters, I brought them in well before the game and created the characters with them, so I was available to answer any questions they had, and they could take their time without feeling like they were holding up the game.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think it does new players a disservice to overemphasize the game’s simplicity because there’s really a lot to know. If you tell them it’s so simple and they feel overwhelmed, that’s when they start feeling like maybe they just don’t get it and this game isn’t for them. I usually tell players that there are a lot of moving parts, but we will walk them through what they need to do and they’ll see how their part works with everything else. That takes some of the pressure off.
Thank you so much for realizing this. I guess it's because you haven't been playing for 20 or 40 years, and the complexities and oddities of D&D haven't just vanished into the haze of long familiarity for you. OT1H, it's a boon that 5e is widely miss-represented as 'simple' in the on-line community, it makes it less intimidating for those thinking about trying it - the atmosphere of the fan community can really put people off, and 5e has a less turbulent atmosphere than other WotC eds. OTOH, its a problem in that, when they do try it & find it complicated, unintuitive and arbitrary, they might think the problem is with them, not with the complex game & its jaded fanbase.

Interesting, my view of new players or new to 5E players is that things like resource management trip them up the most. The advantage of rogues is that they basically have no resource management.
Neo-Vancian casting (Cleric, Druid, Wizard), specifically, is probably a bridge too far, but resource-management /is/ D&D, it's how the game plays and it's a skill that players can't lack for long. As in 3e, Barbarian can be a surprisingly good choice for a new player. Rage gives them one straightforward, fairly intuitive resource to manage, and it's toughness makes it comparatively forgiving. By the time they're bored with it, they have an idea of the way the game is paced and how to manage a daily resource against that pacing, and the broader range of spell-casting classes opens up to them.

I'm not one to tolerate gatekeeping. At an open game, I want everyone to have fun no matter how long they've been playing. More experienced players have a deeper well for bringing their own fun to the table than new players do. I want the new players to get there too. Seeing how the veterans play can be really helpful, and those veterans can help the newbie learn. That's what being on a team is all about.
This may not be how you meant 'gatekeeping' (I skipped the middle of the thread), but D&D has always been a sort of gatekeeper of the hobby. There are a lot of RPGs, but outside the hobby, the one any given potential new player is likely to have heard of, and thus try first, has always been D&D. If they don't like the D&D experience, then the gateway to the hobby is essentially closed to them, if they do, the gate opens...

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Neo-Vancian casting (Cleric, Druid, Wizard), specifically, is probably a bridge too far, but resource-management /is/ D&D, it's how the game plays and it's a skill that players can't lack for long. As in 3e, Barbarian can be a surprisingly good choice for a new player. Rage gives them one straightforward, fairly intuitive resource to manage, and it's toughness makes it comparatively forgiving. By the time they're bored with it, they have an idea of the way the game is paced and how to manage a daily resource against that pacing, and the broader range of spell-casting classes opens up to them.
Certainly it's the case that resource management matters and it's something you have to learn eventually, but I think what I'm getting at is that a good starting character is one that lets new players get the swing of how things work without having to say "I cast my spell" only to find out they don't have anything else to do that session. It's one reason the wizard was often very frustrating in the days before cantrips.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases