AMA with Monte Cook (Numenera, D&D, Monte Cook Games, Malhavoc Press)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Monte. I have some game development questions for ya.

1. If you had to choose one specific game mechanic you found the most difficult to make original to avoid infringements, what would it have been/be?
2. If you could keep and use without legal repercussions one specific game mechanic intact as is, regardless of the game or system it came from, what would it have been/be?

Hmm. I'm not sure I have good answers for either question. I haven't really worked on a project where the first question applies at all--the only times I had to worry about taking prior mechanics and put them into a new game, I had the right to do so (D&D, CoC d20, MC World of Darkness). Even all my Malhavoc Press stuff used the OGL, obviously, so I had the ability to use those rules freely too if I wanted.

As to the second, I'm not really sure. Earlier in the AMA I said I really liked the CoC sanity mechanic, so maybe that one? I haven't really worked on a non-CoC game that really called for it, though.

Hey Monte!

I don't so much have a question, but a comment. I really enjoyed my time with 3rd edition; some of the finest moments of my gaming group were on the fields of 3.x, so thank you for your work.

Also, I see someone else asked about the 5th Edition split, so thank you for such a candid and illuminating answer. I was always curious what had happened to cause the split.

Thanks. I love hearing about people having fun with games. That's really the whole point of all this!

Where did I see this system in print? Was it in one of the Hallowed Might books? I've looked but I'm exhausted and can't find it right now.

My real question(s):
1. What is it like being named "Monte"? Was it difficult growing up? Were you named after someone? How many other people named Monte have you met?

Thanks for all the great work over the years. I own hardcover versions of all the Might books, Ptolus, Beyond Countless Doorways, Complete Eldritch Might, and a few dozen modules and accessories. I really admire your work.

It's funny. When I first was answering the question, I completely forgot that I did indeed publish a version of that in Book of Hallowed Might. Good call.

1. Not really difficult. I was named after the actor Montgomery Clift, but my name's not actually Montgomery, just Monte. I enjoy having an uncommon name. I've met a few Monte's, and thanks to the internet am aware of a number of other Monte Cooks, actually. I imagine that one or more of them has also become aware of some weird game guy with their same name.

Hey!! I've been a fan of your work since I was a kid. My game group recently came into possession of the numenera book and we've played a few sessions. Just wondering if you could spoil us on a new release of player options and maybe artifact and discoveries? I do a fine enough job of making my own, but I'm really interested in your ideas also. That is all.

Thanks!

Have you checked out our current Kickstarter for a whole new line of Numenera products? A second Character Options book is one of the upcoming stretch goals! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/numenera-into-the-ninth-world

If you're new to the game, however, you might not be aware of the first Character Options book, as well as the Technology Compendium, which is what you're asking about on both counts. You can get them in your local game store or our webstore. http://www.montecookgames.com/store/

It's also worth noting that in the current Kickstarter, we have many of our existing products you can get in bundles at a nice discount as add-ons. Perfect for new players.

Uuh, looks like I'm not quite too late yet, splendid.

As someone working in the business (and by the look of things, you seem to be working 20+ hours 7 days a week all year long....), do you actually get a chance to PLAY stuff? What was the last 2 or 3 games (pen&paper, board games, otherwise) that you played that you were not involved in making?

Apologies if that has already been covered.

I play games all the time.

The last three (non-video/computer) games I played that I wasn't involved with were: Boss Monster 2, Forbidden Island, and King of Tokyo. All very fun.

I gotta ask Monte, you keep talking about the modified OD&D game you are running. I've always had this strange fascination with my Rules Cyclopedia so I gotta know. How have you modified your game? I vaguely remember a blog post somewhere kinda talking about it, but it wasn't that specific.

vivsavage

Explorer
Hi Monte!

1) Will the Player/GM 'divided' rulebooks of the box set be made publicly available?
2) What would your 5e D&D game have been like if you were placed in complete control?
3) If you could design a game based on an existing literary or film source, what would it be?
4) What are some RPGs you currently play besides your own?
5) Given that you designed D&D 3e, and that it spawned countless knock-offs, what is your favorite iteration of the 3e ruleset (besides the stuff you designed)?

Last edited:

Hi Monte!
I'm a more recent fan, I played D&D 3.5 quite a bit, and only really notice your name when you joined (and left) the D&D Next Team. That being said, you say a lot of things about your games that I agree with and really enjoy reading your insights. I got Numenera via the REAL DEAL as a birthday gift from my brother (he said it's worth 2 birthday gifts because it took a year after the KS to get here, now that I own the book I most certainly agree with him). This AMA makes for 3 years; I don't think I could've asked for more for my birthday than a chance to talk to you about Numenera. Your insights are innovative and elegant. And I couldn't get enough of what you have to say about Numenera.

Now that I got that out of my system, here are my questions:
1. Even though I'm not that huge a SF fan, I found myself fascinated with Numenera (I'm currently applying for a Numenera PbP, it should be my first on the field experience of the game.) What advice might you have for a clearly interested player taking a step out of his proverbial elements and his comfort zones and trying to get into the vibe of Numenera game?
2. What to you is biggest pet peeve you've ever had to deal with, or witnessed at the game table?
3.To follow up on a much earlier question, in what languages does MCG currently intend/aim to translate their product lines, and I
How high of a priority is it? Though unlikely, I would be thrilled to see Numenera translated to Hebrew eventually - it would make introducing the game to a certain friend a lot easier.
Here's a silly one I've been wanting to ask, but be honest: On "the ORC AND PIE" (KS pledge level back when you funded Numenera) were you at all disappointed or just glad that nobody paid up to throw a pie in your face? If it were up to me me (and if I had the money and the option) I'd have shelled out a grand and flown to Gencon to -share- a slice of pie with THE Monte Cook, actually. ^_^
4. What do you think is the most important skill you think a GM of any game should have/acquire?
5. What kind of music do you listen to? Does it help/hinder your productivity while you do?
6. Not really a question, but I snuck a peek at No Thank You, Evil! And I got to say I love it as far as I could tell from a distance!

Thank you very much for making the AMA, as well as Numenera and even your many contributions to D&D the RPG world. As I mentioned before, this really made my day/week!

Thanks!

1. Embrace the weird. Also, remember that a game about discovery pretty much demands that you can never discover/understand everything. (In the same way that a game about killing monsters, you can never kill every monster.)
2. Players dominating other players--telling them what to do, not letting them talk, or otherwise diminishing their fun.
3. Currently or soon to come: Spanish, German, Portuguese, Italian, French, and Korean. Hebrew would indeed be cool!

(I was not too disappointed about the Orc and Pie backer level. It was mostly a joke. But thanks for remembering it!)

4. Timing. Timing involves keeping the action moving, but knowing when things need to slow down too. Letting the players agonize over a problem or a puzzle for just the right amount of time. Knowing how to wrap up a session in the allotted time. Making sure everyone gets a chance to do what they want to do. These things are all timing.
5. I'm a huge music fan, with eclectic tastes. Post-Rock, 80s New Wave, Jazz, Ambient, Prog (and Prog Metal), some Classic Rock, Alternative (particularly from 4-5 years ago, but some recent stuff), and occasionally lately I'll get nostalgic and listen to music I heard growing up, which either means 60s (non-rock) or just radio hits from the 70s. I always listen to music while I work.
6. Awesome!

Seriously thank you Monte for everything, you are so humble in your answers. Your work on D&D was always outstanding, Malhavoc Press was amazing back then (bought a lot), and when MCG cames I back your kickstarters every time you did with blind faith which you delivers more than I expected, i'm still amaze to this day (especially the Numenera Reliquary box). Long live MCG and all your incredible team! The quality of what MCG publish is in the top of the industry and I'm spreading the words as much as I can.

so thank you so much again, you make the rpg world a better place.

Thank you so much! That's so kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases