Improvisation vs "code-breaking" in D&D

pemerton

Legend
I view Vampire - The Masquerade* at best as a dysfunctional game.

<snip>

This thing I like to do is so fundamentally different from that thing people who play Vampire as directed do I have trouble seeing how anyone can associate the two. I have visceral and violent reaction every time I see anything like The Golden Rule, calls for keeping players in the dark so you can pull off a big reveal, fudging, etc. It's far too pervasive in our hobby for my tastes.

I guess this is me taking far too many words to say I like games, and am not really that interested in story or narrative.
My experience with V:tM is less than my experience with AD&D 2nd ed, but my response to the latter (and to the little V:tM that I have played) is the same as yours.

For reasons that I don't understand, given that it's been pointed out more than once in previous threads, [MENTION=3192]howandwhy99[/MENTION] seems not to realise that the Forge (and the games that it gave rise to) is founded in profound hostility to V:tM, AD&D 2nd ed and that predominant late-80s-through-90s style of play. (This hostility saw its climax in the notorious "brain damage" episode.)

As to interest in story or narrative, for my own part I am interested in them this way: I want my FRPGing to feel like there are dramatic stakes, and character arcs, that at least tolerably resemble B movies in the genre, or Claremont-style superhero comics. If a FRPG can't fairly reliably produce that sort of experience, I don't really want to GM or play it.

I have had the sort of experience I want playing two sorts of games. One is playing RQ, Stormbringer or similar BRP engines in tightly-designed tournament scenarios, in which rich pre-written PC backstories make contact with the pre-written scenario, driven by very skilled GM descriptions and characterisations of NPCs. I'm not a good enough GM in those respects to run such scenarios myself, and the degree of pre-writing required makes them unsuitable, in my view, for campaign play. (Too much work, not enough player input.)

The other is running games in a scene-framing style, with GM decision-making around scene-framing driven by formal or informal player cues. (I've often mentioned that the mid-80s Oriental Adventures, with its PCs embedded in a world of families, and honour, and the Celestial Bureaucracy, was what opened my eyes to this.) I've run this sort of game using AD&D and RM, but for the sorts of reasons I've stated in this thread I think there are better mechanics for doing what I want, and those are what I now use.

pemerton

Legend
I think we need to stop talking about the way Edwards, and others were talking and thinking about games 10+ years ago unless we are talking about the games they were making back then. Even then we have to be careful, because the initial set of essays were formative. They provided grounds for discussion that resulted in games that don't correlate directly to the initial theory.
Well, I only posted about Edwards/the Forge because another poster brought it into the thread.

In some ways my comparison of Edwards to Durkheim is facile - only one of them is a giant of social theory - but I've nevertheless made it deliberately.

There are many things wrong with Durkheim's social theory (in my view, perhaps most importantly, he has no theory of the state and he badly needs one for parts of his theory to work). But it is still a source of powerful insights, and if someone trying to understand contemporary industrial/urban society had the choice between reading nothing or reading Durkheim, I would recommend Durkheim every time.

For me, Edwards was the first author I read writing about RPGs who actually theorised my experiences and helped me understand what I was trying to do, and why certain received techniques (eg nearly every bit of advice I'd ever read in any RPG book ever) were obstacles to that.

I am not a game designer, and so I don't read Edwards from the perspective of someone looking for advice on how to make a game (in that respect, I've got every reason to think that Vincent Baker is superior). For me, he is a source of GMing advice. And personally, the only better advice I have read is Luke Crane's. (Robin Laws has interesting things to say in HeroWars/Quest, for instance, but I couldn't understand it until I had read Edwards' take on it.)

The other thing that Edwards has done, for me, is to enable me to reread the advice from Gygax and Lewis Pulsipher and work out what they were getting at, why it worked for them, and why it was no good for me (given that I was not and am not interested in the Gygaxian "skilled play" approach to FRPGing).

Anyway, that's why I personally regard Edwards as important, despite whatever flaws and limitations he might have.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
howandwhy99 said:
all games are pattern designs. This isn't under debate.
Yes it is.
SNIP TO THE END
I don't understand any of these statements, but as far as I can tell they don't bear upon anything that I am saying.
Well, you're saying this first thing and then ignoring all my discussion of it at the end.

When I ask my 6 year old daughter, "What are you doing" and she replies "Playing a game", what she almost always means by "playing a game" is that she is pretending to be doing something imaginary. For instance, she might be piling wood chips onto a park bench, pretending that she is making cakes for sale in her cake shop; or pretending that she is a pet-store owner and that her older sister is her English-speaking pet cat.

SNIP
Your daughter sounds amazing. This is the point though, What rules is your daughter following for any of her pretending? What win/loss conditions is she acting under? What predefined game objectives does she seek? How does she score points? I'm sorry, but your daughter is simply using "game" to mean something that has nothing to do with playing games. But hey, a word is a label. She can use it for whatever she wants and that's fine. But let's not obfuscate it in order to conform gaming into storytelling. You've just wrote at considerable length about only the latter.

The point is that the game was able to proceed with a less-than-complete ruleset, patched over by improvisation and ad hoc rulings. The fact that the game broke down over this some months later doesn't mean that a game wasn't being successfully played in the intervening period.
The player's had a broken game system. The circle of the game had one element missing. That sucks. That doubly sucks in the middle of a game, because it could invalidate the game. It doesn't sound like it did, but maybe one player believed Poland was to operate one way while another believe in a second interpretation? But what happened was it crashed to a head what could have been good game play throughout strengthening the players.

What you claim obviously did not happen. The players played around by avoiding the glaring hole in the game until one was probably put in a position where they had to lose something or bring the issue to the fore. Who knows how unbalancing and interfering to play it was before that point? And just as you say, "acriminoy and recriminations and fallings out." That sucks.

I don't know what label you use to describe that process of rules invention. Most posters on these boards call it improvisation. Various D&D texts have talked about adjudicating things or actions that the rules don't cover.
You say you can't conceive of a game that covers everything a player could ever possibly attempt, so a GM doesn't need to improvise. Let's try. What's the smallest possible example of a game design you can think of that covers everything any player could ever attempt to do within a game design?

My thinking? "If the game piece is moved, it moves in any manner as described. If anything else is moved, it doesn't." The design is an opaque piece on an undefined board. That's it. (have a pencil ready)

We have Superman. As long as the player doesn't attempt stuff like "The NPC says hello" or "The magic cloak flies over to my character", then everything attempted by the player is tracked as happening by the DM as they furiously take down all the details the player elucidates to put them in the now wildly increasing game. Without any prior design, this will soon get out of hand as simply too much needs to be written down to be put into the game, but we're talking about the smallest possible game design that still covers everything anyone could ever attempt in a game prior to play.

Musson clearly regards the ideal as one in which the GM has fully prepared the map and key. But he recognises that human time, energy and ingenuity is finite, and is offering advice for what to do when those limitations mean that not everything has been written up.
The first part gives me hope, the second dashes it away. Not everything the players will think of will be on the gameboard. Of course. But there are already rules for miles miles of binary answers to player attempts. We randomly generate a large game space on the map, areas that are not on the map are not on the map. We've removed all kinds of potential discoveries which might have been, but now aren't when players go looking for them.

It is literally impossible for a GM to anticipate and preplan for all those solutions, which know no limits except those of human ingenuity.
That's a nice fantasy, but it's clearly wrong. There are no limits potentially. There are limits right now.

Here's the thing we both know. Nothing can ever be put into the game without it first being designed. That's why we have literally a million books with every possible item given statistics for one game or another.

You say again rules cannot be made that cover everything players can imagine. But remember the game pieces are patterns, designs that had to already be added to the game. No matter what, whatever is on the game board already has to be accounted for with everything else on it. That's more than enough, that's everything. Anything more is a hole in the game. Anything more means more rules must have been added. That which lies outside the design is added by the player just like any other situational puzzle, but not to their knowledge. Just keep digging for specifics until the design has all the game stats as are covered. And a good game, like D&D, has broad systems covering most of the spheres of all human ideas. Think of a dictionary. It's big, but it's not infinite. It's easier to great a huge canvas covering seemingly everything than one might think.

What is the bonus for a friendly greeting in a hobgoblin's language? What does "hostile" mean? When do hostile NPCs attack?
SNIP
What happens if Silverleaf, to try and pacify the hobgoblins, offers to marry the hobgoblin leader's oldest daughter? Does that increase or decrease the likelihood of attack? How important is marriage to hobgoblins? What are their dowry practices?
I've never heard of the friendly greeting gesture bonus, but perhaps it's in Molday. Otherwise if there is no bonus, there isn't a bonus. Bonuses are supposed to come from measures of the game design anyway, not abstract stuff.

Agreed about Hostile, if you are using the Reaction roll it needs to refer to something in your game. The result of Hostile behavior needs to be designed before it can be interacted with. But rather than building a logic system, generate a game pattern instead. Than look at the behavior of the creation and what patterns it exhibits. Basically everything in the game world is exhibiting a behavior. For monsters, this can be quite a lot as they are usually very complex designs. But once you know all those behaviors plot them on your Alignment chart. How creatures of different alignments act to destroy something in the game could fall under hostile. Balance it, create nuances for each monster design. Playtest. Plus, hostile is a word and Gary doesn't go into his design. So use the term for whatever is in yours.

When do hostile NPCs attack? Well I would think this goes right back to behaviors statted as Alignment again, plus whatever all the variations do for what is exhibiting the behavior - some monster variances, probably a personality system if you use AD&D. All kinds of stuff.

Marriage and dowry both fall under trade.
Attacks I covered above.
Culture is by monster type, but it's simply mass numbers of creatures behaving as one, something I find best aggregated into a single stat block, IMO

I don't know what exactly you have in mind by making a plot for the players to follow, but given that neither I nor Roger Musson advocate anything that would fall under that description, I'm not too worried about it.

SNIP
SNIP
SNIP
SNIP

This is why Musson doesn't favour strictly random content generation - he thinks that it reduces the likelihood of the dungeon being interesting to explore, and hence undermines the pleasure in playing the game.

That many people have not played D&D as a game may be true, for some very restricted meaning of game. But Roger Musson is manifestly not one of those people.
Now those are some interesting ideas by him. Much better than the arbitrariness that short circuits players ability to play games. You see, what you relate about non-random adventure placement is going to bring arbitrary results into the pattern the players are playing. That's the referee disabling the players being able to play the game again. In the "random" case of dice rolls it isn't the randomness that matters so much as the variable pattern distribution the roll collapses into as part of the game. Yes, the roll is a determination of possible results. But it is more a derivation of the design manifested, the pattern being deciphered by the players. Not an indeterminacy at all, like when referees interfere.

The interesting part of a game is that it is design which can be gamed. Not that it looks cool. It sounds like Musson is saying he wants what amounts to contemporary fluff, while the goal of good game design is to get rid of fluff and instead enable players to interact with it as part of the game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Think of it. You have a social phenomenon. The most popular game in the world as of the early 80s. And there's an academic and cultural revolution going on, postmodernism, which just happens to be about eradicating any kind of thinking that pertains to treating life like a game. And guess what your game is really similar too? Yeah, they put him through the wringer. They even got him to claim skill games were RPGs. None of those quotes are relevant to D&D. Sorry.

You don't just get to arbitrarily declare his quotes as being forced upon him when they disagree with you, and not forced when they do......wait.....you haven't actually shown any that support you.

I clarify until the players understand the design behind the screen each of them are privy too. I can do this all day long if necessary, it still isn't me playing the game. Actually, that isn't either one of us playing the game. They play the game by telling me where to move the pieces. I move them on their behalf because I have access to the whole board. I impartially relate the results of the game design they are allowed to know given the new position

It is you playing the game. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that if you don't play the game in the same way that they do, you aren't playing the game. That's a very wrong idea. The DM is every bit a player. He just plays by different rules in a different role.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I think you couldn't be more wrong about this thing we are doing. We use unfortunate rhetoric at times, but this thing we are doing is absolutely about playing games. Players are after different things and GMs/refs/whatever utilize different techniques, but we are absolutely interested in playing games as games.

I guess what I'm trying to say is we are not who you think we are. I view Vampire - The Masquerade* at best as a dysfunctional game. The GM priorities are completely askew and lead to an experience for players where there is no real ground to make decisions and strive for the things their character should want in a way that actually shapes outcomes. I wanted to like Vampire. I totally wanted to play a game about trying to not become a monster. That's not what Vampire is. I'm not really sure if it is or isn't a game. I simply know the play techniques (used as directed) left me feeling like I had no impact on play.

This thing I like to do is so fundamentally different from that thing people who play Vampire as directed do I have trouble seeing how anyone can associate the two. I have visceral and violent reaction every time I see anything like The Golden Rule, calls for keeping players in the dark so you can pull off a big reveal, fudging, etc. It's far too pervasive in our hobby for my tastes.

I guess this is me taking far too many words to say I like games, and am not really that interested in story or narrative. I just prefer games that utilize slightly different play techniques.
Okay. I'm not trying to paint with a broad brush. So I don't know who is caught in the confusion. I know there are games where a lot of what designs are in place, like in 3e-5e, allow for a great deal of game play ...until the rules run out. There is just a fundamental misunderstanding of the role of a DM and why 3 people are a required minimum. And why GM game maps have to be made before hand. Or why players use mapping as a strategy. Or why everything Ability Scores aren't attributes, but a ranked game ability. Or...

I'd be interested in hearing what games you like and what you're looking for. Though I guess I don't know much of what's called an RPG that is new out there.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Cool thread. :D

@howandwhy, I don't think cultural Marxist Critical Theory is to blame for people using D&D to Tell Stories.
Of course not, "Game Studies" is. That narrative critical theory treats most everything as a narrative is why we have lost games as a culture.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, I only posted about Edwards/the Forge because another poster brought it into the thread.

I think Edwards and The Forge are relevant in another respect: Howandwhy99, like Edwards in GNS theory, speaks as if he's mistaken his framework for looking at RPGs for The Truth.

Forge theory has some moderate utility as a framework in which we can consider game design, and game play. A person can gain some insight using it as a lens though which we consider our hobby. And, if we view it as one framework, of many possible such frameworks, when we hit something that doesn't sit comfortably within Forge theory, we can switch to some other way of thinking about RPGs.

If, however, we hammer a stake in the ground, and say, "This is *THE WAY*," we run into a host of issues, both in the theory and in the act of discussing the theory.

Conversation of Howandwhy's thoughts would go differently (and, I expect, far more fruitfully) if, instead of saying, "A game is *this*, and if you're doing anything other than exactly *this*, you aren't playing a game," he said, "Consider, for sake of argument, that the 'game' part of RPGs was *this*. What would that imply?"

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Here's a way to think about scene framing. Each scene is dungeon, but instead of a dungeon it is an emotionally compelling situation to play through. Instead of players trying to get treasure guarded by monsters, they are trying to get the things their characters want from people and things that stand in their way. In this situation the DM is both a game designer and a referee. However, they are not game designer when they are being a referee. They are not a referee while they are being a game designer. Framing a scene is game design in motion - you are describing and creating a mental model of what's happening in the moment for players to interact with, but you are not adjudicating stuff. Once a scene is framed things have been established (both externally and internally) and we play to find out if players get what they want - we use the rules to do this stuff. When the player's do something the DM who is now a referee responds based on what's been established. Introducing new content at this point is rigging the game and bad refereeing. Once the scene is resolved our DM is now once again a game designer. Think of it is not one single module being played, but many modules being created and then played over the course of a single session.

This stuff is hard stuff, and requires a phenomenal amount of discipline. I personally find it much harder than running a game of Basic D&D. That's why having a game's agenda and principles are so important. They guide the design judgments you are making is a matter of play and help to mitigate biases. I also find this sort of play very rewarding, because the scenarios are directly relevant to what's gone on before in a way that few adventure modules serve to do. Generally when I run a scene framed game I am mentally exhausted, but deeply satisfied.

I know Zak S and howandwhy will probably say that creating content before hand helps to eliminate biases in the content, but the thing about the sort of play I enjoy is that I want certain principled biases in content creation, but not like when were actually playing the game (which happens after framing). Personally I believe that why matters more than who or when in content creation. Design does need to happen before play, but for me what matters is what guides design. Why are there more demons in this random encounter table? Why is this duke moving against this count?

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Here's a statement to mull over. A GM can be a referee, a game designer, and a player. He cannot be any more than one at a given time. Also try replacing cannot with should not.

Remove ads