Improvisation vs "code-breaking" in D&D

howandwhy99

Adventurer
First of all, again, the Big Model doesn't apply to Tetris. I went back and looked, and three different sources all agree that The Big Model is a theory of RPGs, and not games generally.
That's great news. That's not what I was told repeatedly from people on that site 10 years ago.
You know, that's really funny. The reason I first heard about the Forge was as part of a story about some crazy guy online who was claiming all games were actually just "scenery shifting" (and wasn't being ironic). You've never heard that about them before?

Besides which, you aren't even correctly describing The Big Model.
Then let's not talk about it. I'm fine with that.

howandwhy99 said:
Games are simply patterns existent in the world which we treat accordingly within the culture of games.
Stitch heap tense snobbish mint of adamant reading ergo earthy knee scattered symptomatic chance.

Or in other words, I'm having a really hard time extracting any meaning from most of your sentences. If conversation was pattern decipherment, your part of it reads like it came from a random number generator.
I said in my Tic-Tac-Toe example earlier in this thread: a game is only a game if we treat it as such. Gaming is its own unique culture. Storytelling is too. Both are great, but their ideas largely have no crossover. I'm not willingly going to let one be painted over by another no matter how self certain a group of true believers may be.

To explain the quote: Games are pattern designs. They actually exist as such, whether it be in the world outside or minds or the piece of reality which is called fantasy which is our minds. These patterns can be puzzled out as puzzles. They can also be played as games by deciphering the pattern to achieve objectives within them. This means a garden maze is a game when treated so. As is a forest. So, my point was, the origins of games do not come from people. They are games when treated as part of game culture.

These were extremely rare items. How do you think people played the game without access to these things? Do you think that people were only playing "Temple of the Frog" and "Palace of the Vampire Queen"?
DMs drew their own mazes prior to play. This is required by the rules since 1974. Just see my post to MaxPerson upthread. This was mandatory, just like any wargame requires terrain.

This is a bit of knotted up nonsense that twists back on itself and ends up nowhere. To the extent that screens and modules provide evidence of anything about the design of D&D, they provide no evidence that the design of D&D is equivalent to "code breaking" or "pattern discovery".
No one needed to be told that. It's the basic act of playing game that anyone in wargames knew instictively. Unless you also believe playing Axis & Allies is "collaborative storytelling" with the game "author". (Hint: It's a dynamic pattern that enables players to decipher it so they might achieve objectives more capably within it.)

Disproving the necessity of screens and modules only requires a single counter-example. If the game was played successfully even once without them, they are not necessities.
Games can't be played without game rules. The campaign map (maze) - a portion of which is a module - must be drawn by the DM before anyone could even think to play it (i.e. engage in solving to one or more objectives). Screens hide this maze players are mapping on the other side. And as I keep saying, these mazes are the actual game design.

Of course modules are episodic. They have beginnings and they have ends.
Of course they aren't. They change the entire length of the campaign. Even if you clear the entire dungeon level, time passes and wandering monsters will come by and make lairs. Even if you collapse the entire level you still have a level of dirt and stone for players to dig through. It never goes away.

Propostion #1: The vast majority of published modules do not contain references to dungeon areas be repopulated once cleared. A DM that repopulated a dungeon area and repurposed it would be inherently engaged in improvisation. In some cases, where modules are at least partially event based and not entirely location based ("Worldshaker", "Needle", "Day of Al'Akbar", "Saber River") such repopulation is meaningless because its the events that drive the story not the locations.
The vast majority of published "modules" today aren't. They are single sequence stories for players to follow. There is no game element to them. And DMs were told to restock the DMs map per the rules of the game. Every DM needs to use rules for this, a pattern of restocking, to allow players to undestand what it's happening and why. And these rolls are not improvisation when following pre-existing rules. And "event based" modules are railroads, or presumed rails at best.

Proposition #2: Off the top of my head, the only published module that mentions repopulating the dungeon over time is B2 keep on the borderlands (and I'll have to check that just to make sure I'm not confusing text in B2 with text in the DMG, which notably wasn't intended as a relevant rules text for playing B2). But to the extent that any module mentions a dungeon repopulating over time, they generally do not detail the exact process by which that would occur, leaving it again up to improvisation by the DM to decide how and when a dungeon is repopulated.
Yeah, the process needs to be predetermined by the DM. I mean, they had to stock the game board the first time with monsters and treasure, right? That wasn't to be arbitrary.

Proposition #3: Repurposing a module like B2 to set it in the icy north or tropical jungle clearly requires DM improvisation. No mechanical engine for doing that is given to the DM, and even the idea that B2 should be converted to a different setting is improvisation.
Yes. You're right here. That players needed different or redesigned game scenarios they knew too well, so a different pattern could be played, is true. This occurs between campaigns clearly.

I don't define story games as RPGs. Nor do I define theater games as RPGs. Story games to my mind lack essential features that would make them qualify as RPGs. And I was playing an RPG last night. But unlike you, I've actually repeatedly demonstrate that what I say an RPG is, is what the rules of the game say an RPG is, what the creators of the game say an RPG is, and what this historical record says an RPG is, and is congruent with how RPGs are actually defined in a dictionary or encyclopedia article. You on the other hand have engaged in the same silliness the people pushing The Big Model, of defining your own invented terms and then asserting that everyone conformed to your model. But you don't actually find people thinking about the game in the way you are here asserting, nor do you find the language that you claim defines a game used in the games you are describing. Your "millions of people" are entirely figments of your imagination.
Millions of game players who play games other than RPGs. RPGs have been a confused enterprise since Gary poorly explained what he was doing and then 2e happened.

So here is a challenge for you. Explain in a non garbly gook way in what manner you consider an RPG differs from a wargame. Or more specifically, what feature(s) do you add to a wargame to make it an RPG? Because your theory of games seems to argue that there is no non-ephemeral difference between an RPG and mastermind or tic-tac-toe.
Back in '79-'80 D&D became known to people other than in the hobby, people whose opinions mattered. Postmodernism was hitting common culture at the as same time holding many of the same prejudiced certainties folks like Edwards and the Forge have today. It was considered, "If D&D is a 'role playing' game, how aren't all games role playing games? All games define a social role, 'chess player' for instance, and allow players to improve in those roles, right?" It's hard to dispute that. Wargames are about roleplaying generals under the definition of roleplaying from the 70s. So D&D is a wargame (and is) albeit a cooperative one which offers three different roles separate from one another. This made it something new. It later slowly shifted in AD&D to all roles being more fully supported. Something where players roleplayed in different directions and needed to learn to work together to achieve different goals.

So? You are now evading and spinning. It's a module.
All I am saying is UK1 is a flawed design which doesn't work with the game.

UK1's design is not a campaign ender.
D&D uses calendar maps. That's what all those early modules publications functionally (or dysfunctionally) were. When you extend off the map we are leaving the game. 1000s years in the future is like thinking we can reset the Chess board based on calculations of what it will look like 100,000s of moves in the future. Time to start a new campaign.

If the design of UK1 had been, "The lovers must be rescued in 48 hours time or everyone suddenly dies", then this would have been a design that literally had the potential to be a campaign ender.
That's true too.

If the game is nothing more than "code breaking" arriving back in the real world 1000 years later is not harmful to the game and not problematic.
The game is dynamic, not situational. If you sit in the dungeon as a player, you are spending the primary resource of the game: time. Sooner or later you will see events occurring due to the pregenerated timeline made before every session, the scenario.

The cultural artifacts of 1983 indicate that DMs were expected to improvise, that adventures placed characters in a situation that had an expected narrative arc, and that the designers and players of the game expected their adventures to create a story.
Obviously I strongly disagree. I'm guessing you're not interested why D&D is designed as it is. So I'm thinking not much is to be gained by continually responding. If you have further questions, I will answer them. Otherwise, have a good weekend.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Fate plays more towards shared authorship. It isn't about dramatic role play (though it doesn't get in the way much), it is about shared creation of a genre-appropriate dramatic narrative. The mechanics of play -- aspects, fate points, consequence negotiation, etc. are there to provide the tools a table can use to construct a resolution to a scene and develop the next framing.

From there, it is important to add - there's more than one way to get dramatic narrative. If you build action characters, you get dramatic action. If you build social characters, you get dramatic role-play. It ends up being all about how you choose your aspects. If they are about who you are, you get more support for dramatic role play. If they are about what you can do, you get more support for dramatic action.

Nagol

Unimportant
<snip>

So what's the point of empowering the players to have a greater role in the authorship of the story if it doesn't make the game more fun for the players?

*Shrug* it depends on the players and what they like, of course. The players I've had (once I understood the system sufficiently to properly describe it) enjoy that form of play.

I prefer engaging with my character and its attempts to engage the environment more than manipulating the game environment directly. You can approach FATE in that way, but you leave a lot on the table if you do.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
As an aside for [MENTION=3192]howandwhy99[/MENTION]: Have you taken a look at Stars Without Number? It's a totally cool space exploration RPG that is designed for the sort of play experience it sounds like your after. In between sessions part of GM prep involves a phase where you use random charts to figure out what's going on in the galaxy. It's a cool little game.
I've looked at it before. It's a "skill check game", i.e. a "Check game". In other words, a game based on a mechanic that is in no way a game mechanic. There are no such things as "checks" in games.

But those are only some of what the text calls its "system". It actually does include pieces for potential game boards designs which are required to be put together prior to play, though I don't know if the designer actually knows why, how such are balanced, or that the pieces themselves have to come from a deeper design.

Another issue is he doesn't know what he's supposed to be designing for a game to be a roleplaying game. Character as personality (attributes!?) and stories have nothing to do with either roleplaying or games.

Ultimately it is only a partial game system, so it's a broken game at best with plenty of "rules" which needs to be stripped away as they don't refer any kind of actually existing design. But it could be fixed. It looks like it was a lot of work and a passion project. To his credit, it's a hell of a lot closer to an actual game than (almost) everything else with the RPG label.

There's a reason why I refer to the mechanical bits and bobs as artifacts of play. First, they are the tools we use to play the game and the vestigial remains of playing the game. Also, they are not the game, and should not be mistaken for it. They represent things and help us communicate about things, but they are not those things. Your character sheet is not your character. Your prep is not the world, fiction, play space, whatever, etc. The mechanics are not the game. They are tools used to play the game. Their value is entirely contextual.
You're so completely wrong, you have idea what playing a game is. You're still stuck in "games are fiction, and narratives, and we create them, and..." That's all dogma and not the first through last reasons why anyone ever plays a game.

Here are some clues for you:
  • The game is the actual design either in our brain, on a board, or elsewhere.
  • Moving in a game is referring to the actual movements of pieces on a gameboard. It is actual manipulation of the pattern.
  • A player record sheet is simply a series of scores referring to a small portion of the game behind the screen for the DM. Those scores refer to current designs in the game.
  • They only behavior required of at least every single game is pattern recognition, for the players this begins by being conjured up in the imagination and checking it with prior imaginings.
  • Experience Points are the scores for individual D&D players. Like all games they track actual accomplishments in the world the design is but a part of. This is blatantly obvious in sports, but brain sports like D&D are just as real.
  • The mechanics are parts of the actual design that is the game and manifested in things like gameboards and game pieces. Just like a Rubik's Cube is an actual thing, it is a puzzle when we attempt to discover its underlying solution. It is also a game whenever we attempt to accomplish a goal within it alone. (Meaning more people treat Rubik's Cubes like games than puzzles than not when seeking just an end in them.)
  • Scoring occurs whenever goals are achieved within a game. It is very similar to solving a puzzle, but players simply solve a part. Moving a a Rubik's Cube so one side is all same color is scoring in the game trying to get all sides the same color. (As this goal is not solving the underlying pattern, this isn't puzzle solving) In this way, moving a Rubik's Cube to attain a full side is scoring - whether tracked or not - as it is the improving progress towards the predetermined objective of all sides the same color. Mix that side up again and that score would be lost as what it referred to stops being the case.

What I was trying to say was mechanics are like contextually useful, but should not be mistaken for the thing we are doing in play and how we go about doing it.
And you are completely wrong to believe that and then think you know the first thing about games.

I do have a personal bugaboo about taking what I call the artifacts of play as a fetish and making play about them instead of the things they represent.
Of course, you want games to be "fictions" so you can tell a story, not play a game. FYI, code breaking is game play. And there are no such thing as stories or fictions.

Celebrim

Legend
That's great news. That's not what I was told repeatedly from people on that site 10 years ago.

First, if you were told that, then they were wrong. The Big Models official documentation, the Wikipedia entry, and the web domain dedicated to the The Big Model all indicate that it is a theory of RPGs and not a theory of games generally. I suppose some people might have tried to experimentally extend the concepts in the model to non-RPGs, but at this point I don't trust you to accurately report a conversation, so I have no idea what you may have been told.

You know, that's really funny. The reason I first heard about the Forge was as part of a story about some crazy guy online who was claiming all games were actually just "scenery shifting" (and wasn't being ironic). You've never heard that about them before?

I know what "scenery shifting" means. And I know that it is a term appropriated from stage craft. But again, at this point I have no reason to trust you to relate any anecdote accurately, so I have no idea what this "crazy guy" was trying to explain to you or what you took from that. In any event, googling "scenery shifting" and RPGs, Forge, and "The Big Model" does not return a lot of results so this "crazy guy" was clearly not trying to explain something central to any of the major proposed theories. I think either you or perhaps the person you were in a conversation wit were misremembering a term and reporting a very incomplete versions of an explanation of "framing a scene" and the relationship of a game engine to adjudicating changes of a game state. That language could be applied to just about every game, though in most cases I think it would be pointlessly over complicating the description.

I said in my Tic-Tac-Toe example earlier in this thread: a game is only a game if we treat it as such.

I don't think that is well established or accepted, and its a very novel rather 'post-modern' view of what a game is. Even if we say something is a game, it doesn't become a game any more than saying a tail is a leg makes it a leg. Saying that a forest is a game doesn't make it a game. I think that there is a general agreement among game theorists that a game has certain features, and if it has these features it is a game even if we do not play it. And with perhaps a bit less agreement, if it lacks these features, even if we make a play of it, then it isn't a game - although this assertion depends on the definition of play and whether it is different than game (a proposition complicated by the historical switch in meaning of the two terms back in the 14th century).

Gaming is its own unique culture. Storytelling is too. Both are great, but their ideas largely have no crossover. I'm not willingly going to let one be painted over by another no matter how self certain a group of true believers may be.

I don't even know what you mean by all of this, and whatever you may mean by it, it appears to be a rather strained and overcomplicated way of explaining yourself. Games are independent of the culture of gaming. A game remains a game regardless of how we culturally respond to it. A story is a story whether or not there is any culture of story telling. Culture is what we believe about things. It isn't the thing itself. And of course, there can be a cultural crossover between stories and games. You earlier asserted that video games were the true inheritors of a RPGs before they became corrupted. But of course we can respond to a video game as both a story and a game, and a story can be in the form of a game and a game can be in the form of a story. A game like Mass Effect, or Fallout, or Grim Fandango, or Skyrim, or Witcher III or even something like Nethack is both a game and has a story. And because it is a game, the playing of the game creates a particular story unique to that play experience. Things may happen in the game that don't happen in other plays of the game. And naturally, as both a game and a story, designers of video games draw on ideas from games, from game design, and from stories, and theories about narration. And when these things are well done, the story and the game interact with each other in ways that are immersive, compelling, and artistic.

And no one is painting over anything. No serious game designer creating an RPG or game with RPG elements is going to tell you, "Because I can tell a good story, I can do without good gameplay." as if tedious or pointless game play didn't diminish the experience, nor would any one say, "Because I have good game play, that game play is automatically diminished by story elements." And generally speaking, the creation of Mass Effect didn't paint over the culture of book lovers nor get lots of books thrown into the fire as pointless, nor did it paint over the culture of game lovers and cause gaming to be abandoned as a past time. Nor do I think there are very many people who have this as a goal.

To explain the quote: Games are pattern designs.

Just stop there. What is a "pattern design"? You are employing a term of art with a meaning known only to you. When I hear pattern design, the first thing I think of is embroidery.

They actually exist as such, whether it be in the world outside or minds or the piece of reality which is called fantasy which is our minds.

There seems to be some grammatical errors in that sentence that makes your meaning unclear. Most of it I can guess at, but to make sure I understand you, "Fantasy" is in our mind, but it is not literally the mind itself.

These patterns can be puzzled out as puzzles.

Perhaps. But this is unnecessarily complicating the description. When I play a game like Bloodbowl or Chess, and I make a tactical decision in the game, I don't think of the process of figuring out what to do next as puzzling out a pattern. I only think of patterns as being highly relevant to the decision making process when the game contains some sort of predictable pattern, such as a shooting game where the waves come in predictable patterns, or a side scrolling platformer where obstacles always appear in the same way every time the game is run. Is the game is randomized and in particular highly randomized, then I don't think of myself as puzzling out a pattern at all, because the game is unpredictable and all I'm doing from moment to moment is responding to the currently observable game state.

They can also be played as games by deciphering the pattern to achieve objectives within them.

Again, by 'pattern' you just seem to mean the current game state. You don't actually mean 'pattern' in its normal usage as a repeated and reoccurring feature or the process of making something repeating and reoccurring. Or perhaps you are using "pattern" as a synonym for "formula" or "function"?

This means a garden maze is a game when treated so.

No, or at least, only if you mean something other or more than what you actually wrote. A garden maze doesn't become a game until we give some additional features to it, like a goal, "Get to the center of the maze" or "Get to the center of the maze as fast as possible." Usually we also implicitly or explicitly have rules of some sort, like, "Don't kill the other players." and "Don't like climb over the hedges.", and so forth. Only after we have made "the garden maze game" is it a game. But the garden maze itself is never a game in and of itself. It is at most, a component of the game.

As is a forest.

Again, the forest is never a game itself. It is at most a component of a game once a game has been created like "Hide and seek". "Hide in seek" is never the forest. It is just something you could play in the forest.

So, my point was, the origins of games do not come from people. They are games when treated as part of game culture.

So that's nonsense, and even more obviously nonsense than your assertion that a forest is a game if you treat it as such. Culture comes from people. Games comes from people. They are both things created by people. A game remains a game even if it has no culture and there is no cultural response to it. I have no idea what you mean by "culture" in this context. And the only game I can think of that is claimed not to have come from people, is the Mayan sacred ball game. Now that was a gaming culture, but its pretty obviously not the same gaming culture that exists now. I have no idea what you mean by a "gaming culture" as it is pretty evident that the culture of say football, fantasy football, and chess are different. I think you are using "culture" as a loose and perhaps inappropriate synonym for some other word or idea.

DMs drew their own mazes prior to play.

Stop. Again, DM's could be said to have drawn maps prior to play, but they could not necessarily be said to have drawn mazes. A map is not necessarily a maze, and usually isn't. A maze has distinctive topological features. A maze is a puzzle or game only if it has certain goals and rules we apply to it. The purpose of the map was not necessarily the same as the purpose of a maze, nor where the same rules and goals applied to it. It's perfectly possible to have an RPG map which doesn't have the purpose, "Explore this map.", because it is possible to have an RPG map which only documents what is already observable and communicated to the player, and it is possible to have an RPG map which lacks obstacles to navigate around. B2 actually has maps like this when documents the Keep that is on the borderlands, and the taverns and so forth. They are places where play can occur, but they aren't intended to be mazes.

This is required by the rules since 1974. Just see my post to MaxPerson upthread. This was mandatory, just like any wargame requires terrain.

Moreover, we know for a fact that not all RPG play occurs on a map. Leaving aside this assertion you make about the rules explicitly requiring it, whether they did or not, we know that not all activities occurred on a map. For example, the 13th level of Castle Greyhawk had a chute trap that deposited you on the other side of the world. At one point in the trap was activated and two players landed in what would become Kara Tur. At the time, no map existed for where you landed when the chute dropped you off, and there is no evidence that any maps were created for the characters adventures returning back to Greyhawk. The players were off the map and had been moved off the map by the map. But play didn't stop because of that. So clearly play didn't have to occur on a map, and therefore the map isn't mandatory.

More to the point, right from the start, the main claim I've been arguing with you is your assertion that RPGs (in their true form) have no improvisation. But it's quite clear you don't believe that. Because not only do you describe DMs drawing their own map, which is clearly improvisation, but its clear that since the very beginning of RPGs, DMs have been prepared to and at times instructed to improvise maps during the middle of play.

No one needed to be told that. It's the basic act of playing game that anyone in wargames knew instictively. Unless you also believe playing Axis & Allies is "collaborative storytelling" with the game "author". (Hint: It's a dynamic pattern that enables players to decipher it so they might achieve objectives more capably within it.)

No, but I don't claim Axis and Allies is an RPG either. I claim Axis and Allies is a wargame. And once again, you've made no attempt to actually show that Axis and Allies is "code breaking" or "pattern design". I play Axis and Allies, and I don't think of it in those terms tuitively or intuitively. I really just don't think "pattern design" is a good synonym for decision making.

Games can't be played without game rules.

At last we agree on something. But this would seem to contradict your earlier assertions about what a game is.

The campaign map (maze)

Again not synonyms. Maze isn't even an RPG term of art the way that "dungeon" is for historical and cultural reasons. And many games do quite well without "campaign maps" at all. You don't actually need a campaign map to play D&D, and Greyhawk began without one. When it found a need for a world map, EGG mentally borrowed a map of the United States for the purpose, placing the City of Greyhawk IIRC where Chicago would be and working from there. But RPGs don't need a campaign map. I could probably blow your mind by asserting that they don't need a map at all, although they aren't well suited to long term play without creating maps because eventually they need a more tangible description of the place the game is happening.

- a portion of which is a module -

No. A module is not merely a portion of a map. For one thing, the module can be played by itself, which would make its maps (if any) the whole map. For another, a module has many features other than possibly having a map. Module is a description of a scenario that usually has maps because things normally happen in places where it matters what the shape of that place is.

must be drawn by the DM before anyone could even think to play it (i.e. engage in solving to one or more objectives).

Again, just no. It's possible to begin play and even continue play without a map. Heck, it's often the case that play takes place off the map or I have to improvise a map because where it is taking place has not been mapped. There are many cases where this is true:

a) The actual space the scenario takes place in isn't particularly relevant, or interesting, and if it ever becomes relevant it would be easy to improvise a map. A good example would be starting a campaign with an encounter that is simply "on a road" or "in a tavern' or "in the street". I can begin play with, "You are travelling down the King's Highway, seeking your fortune in the great cosmopolitan city of Talernga, when - as you round a bend in a wooded area - a group of scruffy looking men walk out of the woods ahead of you. They are wearing armor and carrying weapons such as a peasant militia might have, but in ill-repair. Nonetheless, they seem confident and their evident leader - holding a morning star in two hands hails you by saying, "Top 'o the morning to ye, my lairds. I be Captain Jenkins, and these be my brave men and true. We are collecting tolls for the use of this road which you are travelling on, and we hope you will cooperate." And that's a perfectly good scenario even if I haven't mapped the road, or the campaign world, or the city of Talernga, and even if the MM doesn't assert that there is a percentage chance bandit leaders will be armed with morningstars.
c) Quite often, even if I do have a map of a region, I'll detailed at 30 miles to the inch or 5 miles to the inch, and that scale is utterly useless when the party has an encounter in a forest, desert, settled farmland, or anything else. So even if I decide that it matters that I have a map of the immediate environs of the encounter, I'm still going to have to improvise that map. But I don't actually need the map until the party interacts with the scenario in a way that a map actually matters. If the encounter is in grasslands, and the encounter occurs over a small region, I don't really need a map. Or if the encounter ends up being non-hostile, then I really don't care about the tactical positioning of the various factions that are interacting. I just have a scene that happens in a space.
d) In the case of something like an encounter in the high astral or far ethereal, there is often literally no terrain to begin with, so there is no need for a map at all. And I'm not going to create maps for whenever a character goes traipsing off into the Dreamlands for a short duration, to try to spy on a sleeping character or cozen someone sleeping into revealing information to them. Ditto for going into the Ethereal to seek a spirit to negotiate with, or anything of that sort.
e) Quite often, in wilderness trek, an unplanned encounter will occur that implies the existence of a lair of some sort - a cave, a ruined castle, a village, a mine, a den, a bog, a graveyard, a hollow tree, a boat, or who knows what. When that happens, it may become necessary to just make up a map on the spot. There is no pattern to what I might make up. It's in fact, patternless. It's probably not a maze in many cases. It's a tangible place for the encounter to happen in.

Screens hide this maze players are mapping on the other side.

If you are trying to say that one of the jobs of the GM is to be the secret keeper, and withhold information from the players until they discover it, then I agree. However this would contradict somewhat the idea that the only purpose of a GM is to be a referee, because in most games it is not the purpose of the referee to be the secret keeper. And in some games, players and not referees are the secret keepers. And in your Mastermind example, it is not clear to me that the secret keeper is a referee. And again, what secret is being kept isn't necessarily and often isn't a maze. And likewise, what may be hiding the information from the players is not necessarily a screen. The screen is in fact not mandatory.

And as I keep saying, these mazes are the actual game design.

Then you are wrong. A map is not a game design. A map is at most a mere component of a game.

Of course they aren't. They change the entire length of the campaign.

I have no idea what that means?

Even if you clear the entire dungeon level, time passes and wandering monsters will come by and make lairs.

Maybe.

Even if you collapse the entire level you still have a level of dirt and stone for players to dig through. It never goes away.

Maybe. It's entirely possible to have a dungeon that literally goes away once left. An example would be a dungeon that was occurring entirely within the dream of some powerful being, or a dungeon on a demiplane that is collapsing, or a dungeon falling into the negative elemental plane and as such will be disintegrated soon. You are taking things that are merely the way things usually work and insisting that they are mandatory features. And you are wrong.

The vast majority of published "modules" today aren't.

We aren't talking about "today". At no point have I cited a modern module. All the modules that I'm talking about would have been available to you when you were introduced to the game in the mid-80's. All of them are part of the culture of gaming of the mid-80's. All of them are modules and are recognized as such. All of them are part of what creates the template for our notion of what a module is. I have no idea where you get your notion of what a module is.

They are single sequence stories for players to follow. There is no game element to them.

That's false and that's also false. Unlike you, I'm presenting examples. You are making crap up again.

And DMs were told to restock the DMs map per the rules of the game.

Where? Give me a citation? And what are the rules for stocking or restocking a map? Again, give me a citation. I'm pretty darn familiar with the texts of 1e publications, so I have some ideas where your vague ideas might be coming from, but I think once you give me a citation I'll be able to prove that those "rules" don't actually involve any sort of pattern or mechanism, and at best are vague and non-mandatory advice.

Every DM needs to use rules for this, a pattern of restocking, to allow players to undestand what it's happening and why.

No they don't. Investigating restocked dungeons isn't even a major component of RPGs ever.

And these rolls are not improvisation when following pre-existing rules.

Which rules, and what if those rules are improvised? And even if there are suggestions regarding how to create content, in no manner is a DM required to follow them or even his own algorithms.

And "event based" modules are railroads, or presumed rails at best.

They can be, but so for that matter can a map. They are not always railroads, and even if railroads it's not clear under any definition - including yours - that they aren't games.

Yeah, the process needs to be predetermined by the DM. I mean, they had to stock the game board the first time with monsters and treasure, right?

No.

That wasn't to be arbitrary.

Do you even know what the word arbitrary means?

Millions of game players who play games other than RPGs. RPGs have been a confused enterprise since Gary poorly explained what he was doing and then 2e happened.

Yes, but they are still playing games. Your contention earlier was that games were being destroyed.

All I am saying is UK1 is a flawed design which doesn't work with the game.

In your opinion. In mine, I'd say it's an overlooked masterpiece of design that works very well with the game, albeit it is not a design that works well with every player since - as the module admits - it's not a design that will suit players that prefer to solve all problems with combat.

D&D uses calendar maps.

What is a "calendar map"? Do you mean a calendar? Do you mean a timeline?

That's what all those early modules publications functionally (or dysfunctionally) were.

So S1 Tomb of Horrors is a calendar map?

When you extend off the map we are leaving the game.

What? So, if I don't have a map of the round in the future after this one, then I'm leaving the map and need to start to a new campaign?

1000s years in the future is like thinking we can reset the Chess board based on calculations of what it will look like 100,000s of moves in the future. Time to start a new campaign.

No, not really. That's a terrible analogy. It's actually more like thinking the campaign has moved to a new part of the map, one which the DM has just constructed. No DM actually ticks off all the events round by round that are going on where the PC's aren't.

The game is dynamic, not situational. If you sit in the dungeon as a player, you are spending the primary resource of the game: time. Sooner or later you will see events occurring due to the pregenerated timeline made before every session, the scenario.

Wait.. every session has both a pregenerated map and a pregenerated timeline? Greyhawk sure as heck didn't start with a pregenerated timeline. What are you talking about? Some groups do quite well with no pregenerated timeline at all. I once spent a summer running an open dungeon crawl in the Greyhawk style for "whoever comes" at a gaming story in a very old school style, and I assure you we had no modules and no pregenerated timeline.

Obviously I strongly disagree. I'm guessing you're not interested why D&D is designed as it is.

LOL. I'm the one continually quoting the elements of D&D's design and how it came about and why, and you are the one making crap up.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
I've already responded to you at length, but a few things in your other post just leapt out as obvious nonsense.

I've looked at it before. It's a "skill check game", i.e. a "Check game". In other words, a game based on a mechanic that is in no way a game mechanic. There are no such things as "checks" in games.

Don't the third and fourth sentences of that paragraph contradict the second? Either it is the case that it is a "skill check game" or else it is the case that there are no checks in games, but both can't be true. And you've no way shown that a skill check can't be a game mechanic. For that matter, since you earlier asserted that games were things we treated as games, so can't it be true that if we treat something with skill checks as a game, it's a game. If it isn't a game, what is it?

You're so completely wrong, you have idea what playing a game is. You're still stuck in "games are fiction, and narratives, and we create them, and..." That's all dogma and not the first through last reasons why anyone ever plays a game.

Lots of people are playing something that looks an awful lot like a game. If it isn't a game, what is it? And it sure seems like what you are actually saying here is actually, "That's not the first through last reasons why I ever play a game." It's pretty clear lots of people play games for reasons that aren't congruent with your reasons.

[*]Moving in a game is referring to the actual movements of pieces on a gameboard. It is actual manipulation of the pattern.

No, you've got it backwards. The pieces on the gameboard are merely tokens or markers of the game state. There is a pretty good way to prove that. Two chess masters with the requisite skill can play a game of chess blindfolded. If we blindfolded those players and took away the board, they would still be able to play the game, not knowing that the board had been removed an the game was going on purely in their shared imaginary space.

[*]The mechanics are parts of the actual design that is the game and manifested in things like gameboards and game pieces.

At this point, you just fully agreed with the guy that you disagreed with. Yes, the pieces and the gameboards are just manifestations of the game and markers of it, and not the game itself.

[*]Scoring occurs whenever goals are achieved within a game.

Many games don't keep score. Certainly puzzles tend to not keep score. They are either solved or not.

In this way, moving a Rubik's Cube to attain a full side is scoring - whether tracked or not - as it is the improving progress towards the predetermined objective of all sides the same color. Mix that side up again and that score would be lost as what it referred to stops being the case.

As a quibble, if you are familiar with how a Rubik's cube is solved, making more than one side of the same color doesn't in fact indicate progress toward the objective of all sides of the same color. That's not actually how you make progress in solving a Rubik's cube, and in fact to make progress would require 'mixing that side up again'. Moreover, a scoring system for a Rubik's cube is irrelevant to the puzzle, but if you made one (as for an AI system that needed to puzzle out how to solve the cube), it wouldn't depend on the number of solved sides.

FYI, code breaking is game play.

No, actually it's not. Not by any common definition of game play. Not even by your definition. Even by your definition, we'd have to think of code breaking as game play before it would be game play. The British group trying to crack the enigma code were not playing a game. I suppose by your definition if they thought about it as a game, then it would have been a game but by most definitions of game in common use, that's not true. Most games are played for fun, have limited duration, refer to a fictitious space in which the game occurs, and so forth. In the novel "Ender's Game", OSC plays on this fact that we can believe something to be a game, but it not actually in fact be a game because it actually lacks necessary features a game has - like fiction. You're definition of what a game is tends to be incomplete. Code breaking in and of itself isn't a game and isn't game play. And it's quite possible to have game play that isn't code breaking. At best, you could claim game play is analogous to code breaking, although I'm not completely convinced about that either. Code breaking requires an underlying regular structure. But people can reasonably disagree over whether or not playing a slot machine (or anything similar to it) is a game, and even things that have more player agency (meaning some) than playing a slot machine don't seem to me to be always pattern analysis but simply decision making because the underlying game doesn't have a pattern that repeats. And while I'd like to think all game play involved decision making, but there are some games like Shoots and Ladders that lack decision making but are still commonly called games.

And there are no such thing as stories or fictions.

That's an obvious nonsensical statement. Quite obviously, the dungeon, all of its contents, the game world, and the characters therein are all fictions. And quite obviously, stories actually exist.

Last edited:

Balesir

Adventurer
You can take a person who (unless they are lying about their own taste for some inscrutable reason) says they want thing x. Take one who wants thing y. Film them both being satisfied at the same moment in a game in their separate things. Ask them if that's what happened.
You seem to be greatly invested in the "absolute proof" of wrongness in GNS; I hope you gain some joy from that. It probably makes what I'm going to say pointless from your perspective, but I will do so anyway for the benefit of others who may read this.

GNS, as I understood it, said that an individual approaches an instance of play with an agenda. They rarely, if ever, approach such an instant with more than one agenda, and the resolution of that instance will either fulfil their agenda satisfactorily from their point of view or it won't. I find that this is true of me, but I don't rule out that others may carry simultaneous agendas into an instance of play; maybe you do, yourself.

Showing that different individuals can approach an instance of play with different agendas, however, does nothing to disprove the original idea. Can different people approach an instance of roleplaying (or, for that matter, any instance of life in general) with differing agendas? Yes, of course they can. I don't need a YouTube video or any form of testimony to see that; it's obvious. The same person approaching an instance with more than one agenda is, I think, rather rarer. Or maybe I'm just very unusual.

What I really didn't get about FATE, and this hopefully is clearer in the context of the above discussion, is that it's a document that goes out of its way to hype about how it is all about dramatic role-play, but in its examples of play there seems to be no expectation that the players are engaging with the game as a drama or in any fashion immersed in the experience at all.

As I understood and understand the attraction of an RPG, it's like the attraction of reading a good book, except that instead of being an observer of the characters in the book or even getting to see the world through their eyes, you get to be an actual participant in the book and make choices along the way. It's like a "Choose your Own Adventure" book with millions of endings and where you could crib in new ideas for what you do at the bottom of the page and the new pages would appear.
That is an attraction of an RPG. This is an area where I agree with Edwards quite a bit. Immersionism seems to be particularly prone to being seen as the "be all and end all" of roleplaying; I could hardly disagree with that more.

Immersion, first-person story viewing/participation is certainly one valid mode of roleplaying which seems to be enjoyed by many people (including me, from time to time). But it is not the only way.

Even if you clear the entire dungeon level, time passes and wandering monsters will come by and make lairs. Even if you collapse the entire level you still have a level of dirt and stone for players to dig through. It never goes away.
Wait, now I am confused. Are these "wandering monsters", "lairs", "passing time" and "dirt and stone" part of some fiction that doesn't exist, or do you have some layers of dirt and stone and such in your garden that the players have to dig through?? If your game has no fiction and no story, then these comments just don't seem to make sense...

Zak S

You seem to be greatly invested in the "absolute proof" of wrongness in GNS; I hope you gain some joy from that.

WOW. That is quite possibly the creepiest rhetorical technique I have ever seen employed in the history of human conversation.

GNS, as I understood it, said...

You didn't read it all the way through then and just cherry-picked the parts of GNS that pretty much match what every other game theory says ("different people like different things in games") . Edwards explicitly goes much further and says no instance of play can simultaneously equally satisfy 2 completely different agendas. This is a provably inaccurate statement.

Go back and read the essays. Or just ask Ron. He's said "It's impossible to satisfy two different creative agendas simultaneously" repeatedly he's said that. He's totally wrong.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
You use some terms strangely. You're going to have to explain what you mean by "in the course of resolution" in order for me to answer that.
I'll give two examples: one is from the 4e DMG, the other I'm making up myself.

(1) The PCs are negotiating with an NPC who is their social superior ("the Duke"). The GM has decided that one feature of the Duke is that he doesn't respond well to threats from his social inferiors. Hence, any attempt to use the Intimidate skill in the course of the scene in which this negotiation is resolved will count against the PCs (and thereby the players - within the technical apparatus of 4e, it is an automatic failure in the skill challenge). The GM is also ready to tell the player that if they make a successful Insight check to try and ascertain the personality and motivations of the Duke, one of the things they can work out is that he doesn't respond well to threats.

(2) The PCs come to a wall. Their detection spells tell them that, behind the wall, is the item they are searching for. In the GM's notes is a record that the wall contains a magical portal that will open only if the codeword is spoken. The PCs (and hence the players) can only learn the codeword by getting a document from somewhere else in the building. So the players cannot succeed in their current confrontation with the wall until they go through a whole lot of other episodes and confrontations to find the secret code.

(1) is an example where the players can fail in their action declaration for a reason they don't know - namely, the GM's decision about the personality of the Duke. But within the course of the resolution to which the Duke's personality matters they can learn the relevant information. For me, that is about as far as I want to go with "secret backstory".

(2) is an example where the players can fail in their action declaration (of various attempts to break through the wall, etc) for a reason they don't know - namely, that a special code word is needed to open the magical portal. Even if, during the course of their attempt to have their PCs get through the door, the players learn that a codeword is needed they can't learn the codeword without heading off into some other set of episodes and encounters. That is the sort of "secret backstory" that I personally don't like in a game.

I get the sense that in your GMing you have stuff that is more like (2) as well as stuff that is more like (1). Certainly, I think the typical sandbox probably has stuff like (2). And [MENTION=3192]howandwhy99[/MENTION]'s whole theory of D&D seems to include that it must have stuff like (2) or it doesn't count as an RPG.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'll give two examples: one is from the 4e DMG, the other I'm making up myself.

(1) The PCs are negotiating with an NPC who is their social superior ("the Duke"). The GM has decided that one feature of the Duke is that he doesn't respond well to threats from his social inferiors. Hence, any attempt to use the Intimidate skill in the course of the scene in which this negotiation is resolved will count against the PCs (and thereby the players - within the technical apparatus of 4e, it is an automatic failure in the skill challenge). The GM is also ready to tell the player that if they make a successful Insight check to try and ascertain the personality and motivations of the Duke, one of the things they can work out is that he doesn't respond well to threats.

(2) The PCs come to a wall. Their detection spells tell them that, behind the wall, is the item they are searching for. In the GM's notes is a record that the wall contains a magical portal that will open only if the codeword is spoken. The PCs (and hence the players) can only learn the codeword by getting a document from somewhere else in the building. So the players cannot succeed in their current confrontation with the wall until they go through a whole lot of other episodes and confrontations to find the secret code.

(1) is an example where the players can fail in their action declaration for a reason they don't know - namely, the GM's decision about the personality of the Duke. But within the course of the resolution to which the Duke's personality matters they can learn the relevant information. For me, that is about as far as I want to go with "secret backstory".

(2) is an example where the players can fail in their action declaration (of various attempts to break through the wall, etc) for a reason they don't know - namely, that a special code word is needed to open the magical portal. Even if, during the course of their attempt to have their PCs get through the door, the players learn that a codeword is needed they can't learn the codeword without heading off into some other set of episodes and encounters. That is the sort of "secret backstory" that I personally don't like in a game.

I get the sense that in your GMing you have stuff that is more like (2) as well as stuff that is more like (1). Certainly, I think the typical sandbox probably has stuff like (2). And [MENTION=3192]howandwhy99[/MENTION]'s whole theory of D&D seems to include that it must have stuff like (2) or it doesn't count as an RPG.

I do use a mix of 1 and 2. The only thing I'll add is that I never have a situation where something can only be learned one way like your example 2. I may have only planned one way, but I'm open to other ways. Legend lore, speaking with dead on the skeleton down the hall, and so on. I like when the players get creative and surprise me with something I haven't thought of.

Remove ads