D&D 5E Long interview with Cordell & Schwalb

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Conducted by [MENTION=6669048]Abstruse[/MENTION]. There's a lot to get your teeth into in that interview; it's unusually candid and non PR-y for WotC. Great read.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63941

I'm surprised about how frankly they spoke about 4E. Equal parts good and bad. It's the sort of interview that is likely to reignite the edition wars, though. Plus lots of tidbits on the D&D Next playtest approach.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Interesting to hear that;

A rumor has been going around that WotC is approaching the various creators of their most iconic game worlds to bring them back in some capacity as the worlds are re-created or re-imagined for the next edition of D&D. Ed Greenwood’s firmly on board, as he’s writing a monthly column on Forgotten Realms. In a Q&A on the #RPGnet IRC chatroom, Margaret Weis has stated she would be willing to work with Wizards of the Coast again (Kender are a subrace of Halfling that only exist in the Dragonlance world), while Keith Baker (creator of Eberron) has stated that he has been in talks with WotC but “they haven't decided what form setting support is going to take yet”.

Bruce Cordell also highlight how some of the modularity will be presented;

I would say a lot of the modularity comes from the idea that you can evoke any previous edition with the right set of rules combinations. If you want to use feats,
if you don’t want to use feats, if you want to use skills, if you don’t want to use skills. And the plan is for the Dungeon Master’s Guide to have more explicit modules and those things end up presented to the playtest community.

pemerton

Legend
I'm surprised about how frankly they spoke about 4E. Equal parts good and bad. It's the sort of interview that is likely to reignite the edition wars, though.
The thing that struck me was their suggestion that Next will silo combat and non-combat in ways different from 4e.

When I look at feats (say, the bonus Lore feat compared to the range of fighting style feats), or spells (which include both combat and non-combat options), or fighter sub-classes (which let me choose a Knight with CHA-dice and followers at upper level, compared to the warrior or gladiator option), I'm not seeing the silo-ing.

Remove ads