A GMing telling the players about the gameworld is not like real life

Hussar

Legend
People growing up in the game world have a working knowledge of trees, forests, plains, flowers, the sky, etc.

Unlike basic terrain, trolls are not basic.

Sometimes you make it really hard to take you seriously. I almost laughed at that post as a joke, but I THINK(not entirely sure) you were serious.

ROTFLMAO.

Really.

So, that city kid whose closest experience with a forest is the last salad he ate is going to have a working knowledge of forests? That dwarf whose spent his entire life underground understands forests? That acolyte who grew up in a temple in Waterdeep has a working knowledge of forests?

Sure. You're not inserting yourself as the Author at all. Nope, not a little bit.

pemerton

Legend
So, that city kid whose closest experience with a forest is the last salad he ate is going to have a working knowledge of forests? That dwarf whose spent his entire life underground understands forests? That acolyte who grew up in a temple in Waterdeep has a working knowledge of forests?
Right. This is a version of a point that someone ( [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION]? [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION]) made upthread - that the reason why knowledge of trolls is out because it's "metagame" knowledge, yet knowledge of how to find traps, secret doors and the like is in (together with the knowledge that they are likely enough to exist that they are worth searching for), because it's in-character knowledge, is quite obscure.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] - now that I've drawn your attention to the fact that, in the same essay that includes the word "only" that you are rather fodcused upon, Ron Edwards also describes "actor stance" as utilizing the character's knowledge and priorities to determine what the character does, do you remain adamant that you can play in actor stance although your PC has no established priorities?

Even so, my declaration regarding the forest involves only knowledge and perceptions that the PC has, and has a motivation of the PC.

<snip>

I am working with PC knowledge, perceptions and motivations.
But where does that motivation come from? If you're just authoring it ("my PC is curious about trees!") because you want your PC to go into the forest, that's the paradigm of author stance - choosing based on player priorities and retrofitting an appropriate motivation onto the PC.

Which is my point about B2. If a player builds a PC using the process set out in Moldvay Basic, or Gygax's PHB, actor stance will not be possible because nothing in either book suggests that part of building a PC is (i) establishing motivations which (ii) will engage in some fashion with the situations the GM will present you with.

The same is true of Classic Traveller, but it does have an example of PC generation which shows how a backstory and motivations can be established as part of the lifepath PC gen system, and we took that approach to PC building in my current Traveller campaign.

But in games which don't have those motivations, and don't care about them, it's pawn stance all the way! I can't pretnd to be across the full gamut of TSR D&D modules, but the first one I can think of that doesn't rest on a premise of pawn stance is Dragonlance. The G, D, A, C, S and I (Pharoah) modules, B1, B2, X1, X2 and the X (Desert Nomad) modules all assume pawn stance. Even some later modules that present themselves as more "story heavy", like the OA modules, need a fair bit of work to be usable from a non-pawn stance perspective. (I've done that work for OA3 and OA7.) The two 3E-era modules I've used - Speaker in Dreams and Bastion of Broken Souls - also assume pawn stance. (And I've done work on them, to use elements of them in games that place more emphasis on PC motivations.)

Of course this relates back to Christopher Kubasik's point, that unless you are prepared to shoehorn in PC motivations (av Dragonlance) it is very hard to write a commercially viable module that aims to support actor stance.

Sadras

Legend
Sure. Presumably there was prior play that got me to the forest, so I would have more to go on than the bare bones I'm describing. I'm only limiting myself to the bare bones in this instance to show that I can still make decisions in actor stance, even in a highly limited situation than that.

THIS is the heart of it. Engaging with the tree example is just stepping into a minefield of reductio ad absurdum.

EDIT (addressed to everyone): To be clear, according to Maxperson, rpgers at his table engage in actor stance. Metagaming is seen antithetical to the spirit of actor stance so metagaming is expressly forbidden at his table. But we know things are usually never that binary.

Maxperson has mentioned that despite best efforts metagaming can/will creep in as in the hit point conversation from upthread. That is just human nature.

In the same sense, it is my belief, that sometimes (and again this is due to human nature), players at Maxperson's table might subconsciously engage in some author stance. That does not mean that the table suddenly and forever switches away from actor stance due to these author instances. No, his table's primary method of roleplaying engagement is actor stance, at least this is what they strive for, this is their ideal.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
"When you build your campaign you will tailor it to suit your personal tastes. In the heat of play i t will slowly evolve into a compound of your personality and those of your better participants, a superior alloy." --EGG DMG 1e preface

That doesn't sound like it is all on the DM to create everything!
From the 1e DMG.

"Know the game systems, and you will know how and when to take upon yourself the ultimate power. To become the final arbiter, rather than the interpreter of the rules, can be a difficult and demanding task, and it cannot be undertaken lightly, for your players expect to play this game, not one made up on the spot. By the same token, they are playing the game the way you, their DM, imagines and creates it."

The game is pretty clearly the DMs. Gygax does often caution against abusing the power or altering things too much, but he has in fact given that ultimate power to the DM.
So I've had a look at my copy of Gygax's DMG.

AbdulAlhazred's quote is found on p 7. It's the first sentence of the second paragraph of the preface. The second sentence of the fourth paragraph appears to reinforce the point that AbdulAlhazred has taken from it (namely, that participants other than the GM have a singificant role to play in shaping the campaign):

As a participant in the game, I would not care to have anyone telling me exactly what must go into a campaign and how it must be handled; if so, why not play some game like chess?​

(And now that I type it out, I remember that someone - AbdulAlhazred again? - already quoted this upthread.)

The passage that Maxperson quotes is found on p 9, as the first quarter or so of the final paragraph of the introduction.

Here are a few interpretive possibilities:

* Gygax (and his book) is just flat-out contradictory;

* Gygax changed his mind between writing the introduction and writing the preface (I'm assuming here that, as is normal with a book, the preface was written towards the end of the process);

* The two passages can be reconciled.​

I think that the last option seems the most plausible in this case. Here is the entirety of the paragraph from which Maxperson's quote comes:

Know the game systems, and you will know how and when to take upon yourself the ultimate power. To become the final arbiter, rather than the interpreter of the rules, can be a difficult and demanding task, and it cannot be undertaken lightly, for your players expect to play this game, not one made up on the spot. By the same token, they are playing the game the way you, their DM, imagines and creates it. Remembering that the game is greater than its parts, and knowing all of the parts, you will have overcome the greater part of the challenge of being a referee. Being a true DM requires cleverness and imagination which no set of rules books can bestow. Seeing that you were clever enough to buy this volume, and you have enough imagination to desire to become the maker of a fantasy world, you are almost there already! Read and become familiar with the contents of this work and the one written for players, learn your monsters,
and spice things up with some pantheons of super-powerful beings. Then put your judging and refereeing ability into the creation of your own personal milieu, and you have donned the mantle of Dungeon Master. Welcome to the exalted ranks of the overworked and harrassed, whose cleverness and imagination are all too often unappreciated by cloddish characters whose only thought in life is to loot, pillage, slay, and who fail to appreciate the hours of preparation which went into the creation of what they aim to destroy as cheaply and quickly as possible. As a DM you must live by the immortal words of the sage who said: “Never give a sucker an even break.” Also, don‘t be a sucker for your players, for you‘d better be sure they follow sage advice too. As the DM, you have to prove in every game that you are still the best. This book is dedicated to helping to assure that you are.​

Clearly the adversarial tone of this paragraph is intended in humour. But the message of the last part of the paragraph seems clear enough: in adjudicating the game, and especially setting up and adjudicating the fiction, the GM should be impartial rather than easily swayed by self-interested players. (Rembering, as the references to looting etc make clear, that the whole assumption that informs this paragraph is that the GM is designing a world which provides opportunities for the players to acquire XP by looting and, to some extent, killing.)

The earlier part of the paragraph, which includes what Maxperson quoted, stresses that the players want to play this game (ie AD&D) but also that the GM must arbitrate and not simply interpret the rules. What does Gygax have in mind here? To me, at least, a key idea - reinforced by what the paragraph goes on to discuss - seems to be that the GM has to establish and adjudicate the fiction. Eg deciding what happens when a player delcares that his/her PC pokes the 10' pole into the green demon mouth isn't primarily a matter of rules interpretation (the rules for spheres of annihilation simply aren't that rich) but of adjudication of the fiction.

My view is that it's very clear, not just in this paragraph but throughout classic D&D rulebooks, both in word and in tenor, that the GM is the one who must adjudicate the fiction. (Which takes us back to the discussion of "free kriegsspiel" way upthread.) But that doesn't mean that the GM has sole authority over the entirety of the campaign. Which is where the "superior alloy" idea comes in. The players don't adjudicate the fiction, but I think they are expected to contribute to it - or, at least, the "better" players are. This may involve anything from inventing new dungeon tactics, to trying new combinations of spells and items, to conceiving of madcap schemes to take over rulership of the 20th level of the Greyahwk dungeon, or whatever it might be. Why does the DMG have rules for two-weapon fighting? Almost certainly because a player asked what happens if his/her PC wields two weapons! The idea that the limits of the players' imaginations should be set by the limits of the GM's imagination is not something that I find at all in these classic D&D books. Quite the opposite - it's expected that the GM will be having to respond, all the time, to players who push the envelope! Hence the importance of the GM "prov[ing] in every game that [s/he is] still the best." S/he has to be able to keep up with the players, and handle whatever adjudicative challenges they throw his/her way.

I personally think there is a marked contrast in tone between these classic texts, and this particular version of the player/GM dynamic that they put forward, and the 2nd ed PHB (pp 9, 18, 47, 49):

An adventure usually has a goal of some sort: protect the villagers from the monsters; rescue the lost princess; explore the ancient ruins. . . .

Remember, the point of an adventure is not to win but to have fun while working toward a common goal. . . .

t is possible to turn . . ."disappointing" stats into a character who is both interesting and fun to play. Too often players become obsessed with "good" stats. These players immediately give up on a character if he doesn't have a majority of above-average scores. There are even those who feel a character is hopeless if he does not have at least one ability of 17 or higher! Needless to say, these players would never consider playing a character with an ability score of 6 or 7.

In truth, [a PC]'s survivability has a lot less to do with his ability scores than with your desire to role-play him. If you give up on him, of course he won't survive! But if you take an interest in the character and role-play him well, then even a character with the lowest possible scores can present a fun, challenging, and all-around exciting time. Does he have a Charisma of 5? Why? Maybe he's got an ugly scar. His table manners could be atrocious. He might mean well but always manage to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. He could be bluntly honest to the point of rudeness, something not likely to endear him to most people. His Dexterity is a 3? Why? Is he naturally clumsy or blind as a bat?

Don't give up on a character just because he has a low score. Instead, view it as an opportunity to role-play, to create a unique and entertaining personality in the game. Not only will you have fun creating that personality, but other players and the DM will have fun reacting to him. . . .

[A]lignment is an aid to role-playing and should be used that way. Don't choose an alignment that will be hard to role play or that won't be fun. A player who chooses an unappealing alignment probably will wind up playing a different alignment anyway. In that case, he might as well have chosen the second alignment to begin with. A player who thinks that lawful good characters are boring goody-two-shoes who don't get to have any fun should play a chaotic good character instead. On the other hand, a player who thinks that properly role-playing a heroic, lawful good fighter would be an interesting challenge is encouraged to try it. . . .

[T]he game revolves around cooperation among everyone in the group. The character who tries to go it alone or gets everyone angry at him is likely to have a short career. Always consider the alignments of other characters in the group. Certain combinations, particularly lawful good and any sort of evil, are explosive. Sooner or later the group will find itself spending more time arguing than adventuring. Some of this is unavoidable (and occasionally amusing), but too much is ultimately destructive. . . .

Ultimately, the player is advised to pick an alignment he can play comfortably, one that fits in with those of the rest of the group, and he should stay with that alignment for the course of the character's career. There will be times when the DM, especially if he is clever, creates situations to test the character's resolve and ethics. But finding the right course of action within the character's alignment is part of the fun and challenge of roleplaying.

To me, at least, these passages suggest a much more passive role for the players than Gygax seems to envisage. There is no suggestion that they will test the GM! Rather, they will enjoy the experience of "roleplaying" their characters, which seems to mean manifesting their PCs' personalities without too much regard to whether or not this will lead to success at goals, but not to such an extent as might disrupt group cohesion.

When players approach the game in that spirit, it seems a natural consequence that the role of the GM in shaping the fiction will be quite predominant if not exclusive.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
THIS is the heart of it. Engaging with the tree example is just stepping into a minefield of reductio ad absurdum.

EDIT (addressed to everyone): To be clear, according to Maxperson, rpgers at his table engage in actor stance. Metagaming is seen antithetical to the spirit of actor stance so metagaming is expressly forbidden at his table. But we know things are usually never that binary.

Maxperson has mentioned that despite best efforts metagaming can/will creep in as in the hit point conversation from upthread. That is just human nature.

In the same sense, it is my belief, that sometimes (and again this is due to human nature), players at Maxperson's table might subconsciously engage in some author stance. That does not mean that the table suddenly and forever switches away from actor stance due to these author instances. No, his table's primary method of roleplaying engagement is actor stance, at least this is what they strive for, this is their ideal.
Players at [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]'s table may enjoy acting, but that's not Actor stance. You can use Author, Director, and even Pawn stance and still do acting. Actor stance really has little to do with acting or what's usually called "being in character" in RPGs.

The vast majority of my D&D play has been Author stance play, yet I mostly use "I" statements and talk in funny voices. I'm making decisions from my player point of view and then coming up with PC motivations. Any time I decide not to murder that elf after being caught in another fireball because that elf is a PC, I'm in Author stance even if I play my character as grumbling about that damn elf and making theeats. It's my player motivations that decide, not the PC's.

And, metagaming as defined by Max is orthogonal to stances. By that I mean no stance, as defined, cares about that form of metagaming. You can decide that your character knows about trolls in Actor stance quite easily, because if the character knows it, it's part of the character's knowledge. However, as I said above, if you have your character act like they don't know when the player knows because of the player's desire to not engage in the player concept of metagaming, you're in Author stance by definition. No amount of silly voices and acting changes this.

Stances are about which frame decisions are made and whose priorities they serve. The names of the stances are only obscurely connected to the meaning of the words and are easy to mistake for the more generally used meaning. Hence, acting is often confused with Actor stance, even though acting isn't a required part of it. Think more like a movie being shot. If you're the actor, and you ad lib in the scene only according to your inhabitation of the character's motivations and views, that's Actor stance. If you act your character because that's what the script says, even if you act it really well, that's akin to Author or Director stance -- the actions come from outside the character. This is a bad analogy, like all analogies, but does highlight that acting isn't required of any stance and can be in all of them, even Pawn. When I play Gloomhaven, a boardgame, I'm never in Actor stance, even though I often use a funny voice and make up reasons for my character to make decisions I then portray in character.

Sadras

Legend
Players at @Maxperson's table may enjoy acting, but that's not Actor stance. You can use Author, Director, and even Pawn stance and still do acting. Actor stance really has little to do with acting or what's usually called "being in character" in RPGs.

The vast majority of my D&D play has been Author stance play, yet I mostly use "I" statements and talk in funny voices. I'm making decisions from my player point of view and then coming up with PC motivations. Any time I decide not to murder that elf after being caught in another fireball because that elf is a PC, I'm in Author stance even if I play my character as grumbling about that damn elf and making theeats. It's my player motivations that decide, not the PC's.

...(snip)...

Stances are about which frame decisions are made and whose priorities they serve. The names of the stances are only obscurely connected to the meaning of the words and are easy to mistake for the more generally used meaning. Hence, acting is often confused with Actor stance, even though acting isn't a required part of it. Think more like a movie being shot. If you're the actor, and you ad lib in the scene only according to your inhabitation of the character's motivations and views, that's Actor stance. If you act your character because that's what the script says, even if you act it really well, that's akin to Author or Director stance -- the actions come from outside the character. This is a bad analogy, like all analogies, but does highlight that acting isn't required of any stance and can be in all of them, even Pawn. When I play Gloomhaven, a boardgame, I'm never in Actor stance, even though I often use a funny voice and make up reasons for my character to make decisions I then portray in character.

To be clear when I mean actor stance I'm referring to thinking in character not acting in character or rehearsing a script. I'm unsure why you thought I was referring to actual acting in character.

EDIT: Metagaming is about not thinking in character as your decisions in game are being influenced by external factors (game mechanics for instance, or RL-time constraints/pacing...etc)

pemerton

Legend
it is my belief, that sometimes (and again this is due to human nature), players at Maxperson's table might subconsciously engage in some author stance. That does not mean that the table suddenly and forever switches away from actor stance due to these author instances. No, his table's primary method of roleplaying engagement is actor stance, at least this is what they strive for, this is their ideal.
The thing is, as I've already posted, as a player I enjoy actor stance and associated "inhabitation" of the character. That is my ideal. But that has next-to-no bearing on how one decides what the PC knows.

I think analysis by reference to stance is not all that illuminating, precisely for the reason that (as Ron Edward says) it is so labile in play.

Metagaming is about not thinking in character as your decisions in game are being influenced by external factors (game mechanics for instance, or RL-time constraints/pacing...etc)
No doubt [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] will correct me if I'm wrong - but I took the point to be that if a player decides that his/her PC doesn't know about trolls because of compliance with a table rule forbidding "metagaming", then the action has been taken to give effect to a player priority, and hence is author stance.

Actor stance would be based on what one's character knows and wants. If the established fiction doesn't tell me whether or not my character knows about trolls, then actor stance in a troll encounter won't be possible.

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend
The thing is, as I've already posted, as a player I enjoy actor stance and associated "inhabitation" of the character. That is my ideal. But that has next-to-no bearing on how one decides what the PC knows.

I think so.

EDIT: It took me a while to muddle through this.

Last edited:

Remove ads