Elixir of vermouth?

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
There are two sources I looked into before writing this, the first is from Dragon #344 the Elysian Dragons have a cone of "inebriation gas". The second is the rules for getting drunk written in Cityscape (pg 44).

Creatures within the cone of inebriating gas must succeed on a Fortitude save or be sickened for in minutes per age category of the dragon. While under this sickened effect, affected creatures become upbeat and happy, gaining a +1 bonus on saves versus fear effects. Creatures immune to poison are immune to this breath weapon. Some say that the release of the inebriation gas sounds suspiciously like a belch.
Personally, if I was to make such a potion, I'd ignore this and move onto the next bit of source material.

Since you want a potion, and potions are just drinkable spells, we need to craft a spell. Here's my attempt:

Vermouth
Transmutation
Level: Bard 2, Cleric 2, Wizard/Sorcerer 2
Components: V,M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft / 2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 hour / 2 level (min 1 hour / max 5 hours)
Saving Throw: Fort partial; See Text
Spell Resistance: Yes

Successfully casting this spell on the target counts as if the creature had consumed [1 / 3 level; min 1 / max 5] drink(s) and resets the duration of a drink's effect (normally an hour) to the duration of the spell. This "drink" counts towards the amount of drinks actually consumed and the effects of this spell itself (multiple casting stack). A creature that successfully saves against this spell does not gain more "drinks" consumed; however, the duration of any drink already consumed (or gained by previous casting of this spell) are reset to the new duration.

Whenever a creature has "consumed" a number of drinks exceeding one-half their Constitution score, they must make a Constitution check. The DC starts at 15 and increases by 1 per additional "drink". Creatures with bonuses against poison can apply them to this check. Creatures immune to poisons need not make this check at all. Each failed Constitution check imposes a cumulative -1 penalty to Dexterity and Wisdom (but does not actually reduce those ability scores) and a cumulative -1 penalty on Constitution checks to avoid further inebriation. A creature's effective Dexterity and Wisdom can't fall below 1 due to inebriation. A creature passes out when the penalty on Constitution check equals their one-half their Constitution score. They remain unconscious for [2d4] hours and are fatigued when they awaken, but the temporary penalties end.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I don't know if I'd make it a potion. Maybe something alchemical.

Distillation, as a process, was known and used for centuries, since 350 BC or so. But it wasn't used for liquor. instead, it was used in the making of perfume.

While many experimented with distilling wine over the years/centuries, fractional distillation (as used for stronger spirits) wasn't invented until the 13th century. Distilled spirits as we know them today dated from that time, but it didn't become a "science" until centuries later.

So, depending on the time frame of your fantasy world, whiskey, brandy and other strong drinks may not have existed at all.

My own games aren't set in any particular year or era, more "The time of legends", when they had whatever the DM thinks they should have.

All of that being said, in the real world it began with alchemists. I'd leave it there.

Now in D&D, strong liquor (or even simple beer and ale) are treated as poisons, so I'd look at the table of poisons and work from there.

As a "poison" it impairs Dexterity and Wisdom, creates at least the illusion of a CON boost (call it temporary hit points), and after multiple failed Saves it induces sleep.

All things considered it's a very weak poison though. If you want to strengthen it, just price it accordingly.

As a magical elixir, call it a potion of Deeper Slumber, with a successful Save resulting in temporary WIS and DEX loss. (Probably -D3 on each, as Drain not Damage, so they can stack.) Ability recovery is in hours, not days, and runs during the unconscious period as well as after (also known as a hangover).

So, per potion rules, spell level (3 for Deeper Slumber) times Caster level (5 for minimum to cast) times 50 gp. That's 3 x 5 x 50 = 750 gp for a potion of Vermouth.

Remove ads