Do you increase monster hit points?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
For mooks and minions, I don't really care how quickly the PC's kill them - that's part of the fun. But for Set Piece encounters or "Boss" encounters, I'll usually either double or triple the hit points of the main monster, or just add a flat 100. That generally equates to an extra round or two of life. :p

ccs

41st lv DM
I almost always give my monsters 75% - max hp.
Why? Because I want a turn or three to play as well. Otherwise, what's the point?

Of course I'll also do things like add terrain, adjust ACs, weapons used, add more monsters, etc as I see fit.
Sometimes I'll even go old school & actually roll the HPs....

I've also done things such as determine a set # of minimum rounds for some foes. The pcs can do (almost*) anything to them hp wise & they won't die until that min is reached.
I DO track the damage done on these rounds. Then at the beginning of the round after the min expires I'll determine if they're dead or not. If dead? Then the next hit finishes them.

*Like I said, almost. If the pcs unload with something like disintegration..... That could (and has) drop a foe I'd placed a min on. Other creative combat ending effects are also fair game.
Of course I never mention anything about min # of rounds to the players.

And against our weaker players (a wizard & cleric) I've REDUCED HPs to about 25%. If they're facing something without the rest of the group.

fjw70

Adventurer
I will use the max up for monsters that are suppose to be really tough and it seems like they will down too quick. Sometimes I will use the min hp too if quicker or the monster in a tougher than I want it to be but it fits the theme I am going for.

Additional monsters works too. Just another tool in the DMs box.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

As a DM I have two groups. None of the players are extreme min-maxers, but their characters are all reasonably optimized: They have an 18 in their main stat at level 5, they took a race that gives a bonus to their main stat, they selected spells and weapons that do good damage, they try to have a reasonable armor class. Result: When I play encounters from published WotC adventures, the fights are often extremely short, and the monsters go down very fast. Generally the players have higher attack bonuses and armor class than their opponents in a supposedly "hard" encounter. At level 5 the players have to hit bonuses of between +7 and +9, but the monsters they meet often have armor classes of 15 or less, so hits are far more common than misses. In the other direction the monsters frequently need to roll higher than 10 to hit the group tank. And the players also deal more damage than most monsters they encounter. As I don't fudge dice, monsters can easily die before actually landing a hit. As the players know to concentrate fire on spellcasters, those usually go down having cast just a spell or two from their arsenal.

So I was wondering what hit points you choose for monsters. For example an CR 5 Barlgura demon with 68 (8d10 + 24) hit points. Do you use 68 hit points? Do you roll hit points, which on average should be the same? Or do you take maximum hit points, 8 x 10 + 24 = 104 in this case? Or do you just add more monsters to the encounters, compared to what is written in the adventures? My groups are 5 players, which might be on the large side and a big part of the problem, the encounters might be optimized for 4 or less characters.

I roll HP's. I also don't use "Adventure Books" produced by WotC...or Paizo...or pretty much anyone other than companies that are making them for OSR games (1e, OSRIC, DCCRPG, S&W, etc). When I do run an adventure it's a conversion, on the fly, of a 1e/2e/BECMI/OSR adventure...and I roll hp's.

My question (and sorry for hauling this deader than dead horse out yet again...) to you is: Do you use Feats, Multiclassing, and stuff from 'other books' like Volo's and whatnot? Because the WotC AP's are created with the assumption that NO OPTIONS are used...so that's like, well, everything labeled as OPTIONAL as well as all books other than PHB, DMG, MM. At least that is my understanding. If you allow the OPTIONS, then you, as DM, have to re-balance the adventure.

The +7 to +9 seems reasonable to me for 5th level PC's. They will be hitting more often than not, which is why HP's for monsters have been raised "across the board" for 5th edition compared to earlier versions. The PC power level in 5e is definitely on the "heroic" scale of things...and, as others have said, that's ok.

If you don't like the PC's having such an easy time...just add +2 to the AC and some more HP's (maybe the creatures HD x3 or something...so 4d8+8 HD creature would have 4d8+20 in stead).

Me? No, I don't have that problem...but I'm a "killer DM" by todays standards, so yeah. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

5ekyu

Hero
As a DM I have two groups. None of the players are extreme min-maxers, but their characters are all reasonably optimized: They have an 18 in their main stat at level 5, they took a race that gives a bonus to their main stat, they selected spells and weapons that do good damage, they try to have a reasonable armor class. Result: When I play encounters from published WotC adventures, the fights are often extremely short, and the monsters go down very fast. Generally the players have higher attack bonuses and armor class than their opponents in a supposedly "hard" encounter. At level 5 the players have to hit bonuses of between +7 and +9, but the monsters they meet often have armor classes of 15 or less, so hits are far more common than misses. In the other direction the monsters frequently need to roll higher than 10 to hit the group tank. And the players also deal more damage than most monsters they encounter. As I don't fudge dice, monsters can easily die before actually landing a hit. As the players know to concentrate fire on spellcasters, those usually go down having cast just a spell or two from their arsenal.

So I was wondering what hit points you choose for monsters. For example an CR 5 Barlgura demon with 68 (8d10 + 24) hit points. Do you use 68 hit points? Do you roll hit points, which on average should be the same? Or do you take maximum hit points, 8 x 10 + 24 = 104 in this case? Or do you just add more monsters to the encounters, compared to what is written in the adventures? My groups are 5 players, which might be on the large side and a big part of the problem, the encounters might be optimized for 4 or less characters.
In my games bosses have max and minions have the posted avg and eceryone in between is in between.

That has tended to play out fairly well so far producing contests that fit the characters in my game.

Tobold

Explorer
If you don't like the PC's having such an easy time...just add +2 to the AC and some more HP's

I like the "+2 to AC idea". I'm not really a fan of the "I roll a 4, I hit" style of gameplay.

Due to having 5 players instead of 4, I will also increase the number of small monsters in an encounter proportionally to that and see how it goes.

Shiroiken

Legend
I normally try to roll HP for most monsters, but often times I'll just make ad-hock adjustments (giving some less and others more, but overall leaving the monsters the same). In general giving monsters more HP just makes the combats take longer, not actually accomplish anything useful. I like to mix up the HP for most monsters to prevent someone from tracking their HP to try and min-max the attack types to avoid "wasting" damage (the worst example of this was back in 3E, where the shuriken dealt 1 damage, but you could fire 3 per round, potentially dropping 3 enemies with 1 HP). I also sometimes like to RP the lower HP versions to be more cowardly and usually picked on by the others.

Some boss monsters that I don't use a different creature type for, I'll give 3/4 or maximum HP as a way of differentiating them from others of their kind. For example, the Frost Giant Jarl in Against the Giants was just a Frost Giant with 100% of maximum HP, while his lieutenant was a Frost Giant with 75% of maximum HP. This is super helpful to keep them around long enough to feel like they did something, since they're supposed to be a boss (which normally draws focused fire from the PCs).

hastur_nz

First Post
If it doesn't feel right, adding HP doesn't solve anything, it just means the existing state of affairs will take a bit longer to play out, i.e. you're just adding Grind not Fun. Personally, sometimes I add more monsters, but I also change the rule where Monster "proficiency bonus" is determined by CR, to be determined by hit dice i.e. just alike a PC. The effect becomes more pronounced as you get higher level foes, so on average the monsters will be hitting as often, if not more often, than the PC's. This means fights are more deadly, but still "quick" (depending on number of foes etc; I find larger 5e combats can still be quite slow at higher levels).

Remove ads