• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E 1e->3x->Pathfinder Bard Prestige Class

Sigurd

First Post
Good luck finding what you're looking for but...

I have to say I think the Pathfinder Bard is one of my favourite characters to play right now. Really works over a a number of levels.

It's a little strange to count rounds (some DMs simply dont) but it's a really good class.

Sigurd

Wolf72

Explorer
ok, so I hate re-inventing wheels, but I still want some sort of 1e flavor. I was thinking of just mashing some class abilities together to some, overly complicated and in the end not to powerful, prestige-style bard.

High Bard (uninspired title): Servants and allies of druidic circles

Prereq's: dunno ...
*something with a BAB and skills, need to prove combat prowess and resourcefulness (ie fighter and rogue abilities).
*no other spell-casting ability
*need to be initiated by druid (rp aspect of PrC)

Restrictions:
*Alignment as druid,
*Natural Armor or Elven Chain (for PrC abilities and huge throwback to 1e)

Abilities: (nothing new, just different)
* only goes to level 10
*d6
* Gets abilities as standard bard, without arcane casting
* As Druid -abilities, spells, animal companion, but no spontaneous casting or wild shape. Eventually limited to level 5 druid spells. [edit] Druidic as available Language.

You get a whole lot of nifty abilities (good luck keeping track of them all!), some ok spell casting ... but you miss out big time on the high level abilities ... That's the 1e bard, right?

Last edited:

rgard

Adventurer
ok, so I hate re-inventing wheels, but I still want some sort of 1e flavor. I was thinking of just mashing some class abilities together to some, overly complicated and in the end not to powerful, prestige-style bard.

High Bard (uninspired title): Servants and allies of druidic circles

Prereq's: dunno ...
*something with a BAB and skills, need to prove combat prowess and resourcefulness (ie fighter and rogue abilities).
*no other spell-casting ability
*need to be initiated by druid (rp aspect of PrC)

Restrictions:
*Alignment as druid,
*Natural Armor or Elven Chain (for PrC abilities and huge throwback to 1e)

Abilities: (nothing new, just different)
* only goes to level 10
*d6
* Gets abilities as standard bard, without arcane casting
* As Druid -abilities, spells, animal companion, but no spontaneous casting or wild shape. Eventually limited to level 5 druid spells. [edit] Druidic as available Language.

You get a whole lot of nifty abilities (good luck keeping track of them all!), some ok spell casting ... but you miss out big time on the high level abilities ... That's the 1e bard, right?

I like where you are going with this. Comparing the differences between the prc and multi-classing as a druid would be my next step. I think the PrC may be a little underpowered compared to taking levels in Druid. Maybe beefing up the skill points per level and expanding the skill list would level this out.

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
I never thought about the skill points ... I guess still at 6+int mod. I haven't looked lately but is there any skill on the druid list but not the bard? (If so we could say class skills include any on bard and druid list)

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Unearthed Arcana also has a bard prestige class (p. 69)...with a few minor tweaks (allow for divine (druid) spellcasting instead of arcane, adjust HD, and use the bardic songs from Pathfinder instead of 3.5) and there is a prestige class that should fit the bill. Qualifying for it would be at least 1 level of druid and whatever levels of else (rogue, fighter, whatever) or enough levels of ranger to be able to gain spellcasting.

Thanael

Explorer
Unearthed Arcana also has a bard prestige class (p. 69)...with a few minor tweaks (allow for divine (druid) spellcasting instead of arcane, adjust HD, and use the bardic songs from Pathfinder instead of 3.5) and there is a prestige class that should fit the bill. Qualifying for it would be at least 1 level of druid and whatever levels of else (rogue, fighter, whatever) or enough levels of ranger to be able to gain spellcasting.

Indeed: Prestige Bard :: d20srd.org

...combine with Variant Divine Bard :: d20srd.org

Remove ads