D&D 2E 1e Druid Hit Dice

dmhelp

Explorer
I was kind of disappointed in 2e when they dropped druid hit dice down to 9d8. Is it overpowered to use the 15d8 from 1e unearthed arcana? Their xp advancement slows like molasses at that point.

Moorcrys

Explorer
I was kind of disappointed in 2e when they dropped druid hit dice down to 9d8. Is it overpowered to use the 15d8 from 1e unearthed arcana? Their xp advancement slows like molasses at that point.

It’s been a while, but I think if you drop in the 1e Druid into 2e with their NWP progression, it’d work just fine. I would make sure to keep the 1e Druid as-is, complete with drawbacks (like the need for combat to progress at higher levels). The fast lower level xp progression of the 1e Druid takes into account the idea that they won’t be immediately leveling up as they reach higher levels.

I don’t think it’d be a problem. Once druids get to name level their XP progression pace becomes pretty glacial, and specialty priests will have their own unique abilities and spell access that will be comparable and arguably more effective for a number of different play styles, depending on which goddess or god chosen. No one is going to feel like a weak link imho.

dmhelp

Explorer
Yeah, we never liked druids in 2e because of the lack of platemail issue. Everyone played a cleric or a priest of X. I kind of think they would benefit from the 1e spell progression as well (2nd level spells at 2, 3rd level spells at 3, 4th level spells at 6).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases