D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Animal Lord update

TheStiegler

First Post
I'm playing a druid in my new game and we're running 3.5. I wanted to play an Animal Lord (Bearlord) but the Animal Lord was one of the most affected by the update. I really like the concept, so I decided to toss an update past my DM to see if he agrees. He's a pretty easy guy to convince, especially for me. He knows I know the rules, but I wanted to get your collective opinion.

First, let's start with what changes affected the Animal Lord. The requirements of skills in Animal Empathy and Wilderness Lore are right out, as those skills don't exist anymore. The Animal Control feat feels almost like the Wild Empathy ability that the druid now gets at first level. It seems redundant.

The Animal Bond ability doesn't work either. In 3.0 a Druid had a number of animal companions based on his level, and the Animal Lord just uped that number. But now in 3.5, the Druid has one animal that gets more powerful. So that ability has to change somehow. And the Summon Animal ability is now pretty redundant now that Druid's can spontaneously cast the spell.

So, here are my recomendations to alter the Animal Lord to 3.5:

As MotW except:

Reqs:

Skills:
Handle Animal 6
Survival 8
Intimidate 2 (Bearlord)

Feats:
Augmented Summoning (which itself requires spell focus (conjuration) (which is a TOTALLY useless feat))
Animal Affinity
Power Attack (Bearlord)

Spells: +1 effective caster level at levels 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10

Animal Bond ability: no extra animal companions, instead one individual (like the Druid now) gets powers as a companion with a druid master three (3) levels higher. Druid and Animal Lord levels stack. This also includes the Druid's Wild Empathy ability. For example, a Druid 6/Wolflord 3 would have a companion wolf with the same abilities as one belonging to a level 12 Druid. A Druid 6/Bearlord 6 would have a companion brown bear with the same abilities as one belonging to a level 9 Druid.

Summon Animal Ability: may use Augmented Summoning for free (and on spontaneously cast spells) 1/day at 4th level, 2/day at 6th level, 3/day at 8th level.

On consideration, I don't know if increasing the power of the one animal is more in theme, or if it should just allow a second animal to gain the powers. That might be a bit more powerful, at least with a bigger animal like a bear.

I like the synergy of the requirements and the new Summon Animal. It's similar to some other prestige classes I've seen, that they get to use a required metamagic feat for free, like the Thaumaturgist from the DMG 3.5.

As for the spells....that's an unwarranted change, but I really dislike the seperate spell lists, especially when a class is so obviously based on a spellcasting class. I did slow down the progression. At level 20 a 10/10 character wouldn't have 9th level spells. I'm not so much concerned with the debate over that particular feature. I just want to know if you think this is balanced and/or a good translation and if you have any suggestions on how to make it better/more balanced.

Thank you

Last edited:

hazmat

First Post
I like the way you set up the spell progression.

BTW, Augmented Summoning always works.

Each creature you conjure with any summon spell gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Constitution for the duration of the spell that summoned it.

I'd prefer to see an additional companion. Maybe one that only uses the Beastlord levels or one that is two or three levels behind the original companion.

TheStiegler

First Post
D'oh. I should have remembered that. Hmm...then that makes the Summon Animal ability (as I have it designed) useless.

Maybe it could allow you to cast it as a higher level summon spell, basically using a higher level spell's list to choose your animal from.

Or make it a free use of extend spell, the summons would last twice as long. The summons from the Animal Lord 3.0 last hours, I believe. Maybe it should just be free castings (instead of using up a spontaneously burned slot) that lasts hours instead of minutes.

I should add that all of these abilities include the stipulation from the Animal Lord in MotW (that they can only be used on creatures from the characters preferred species, Bears in my case).

I think using a different set of bonuses for the second animal might be a little confusing for some people. I see that as why WotC changed the Druid's ability in the first place, so that the Druid has one animal, not a herd. One extra with the same powers as the first would be fine though. So, one with three bonus levels, or two at a level equal to the Druid+Animal Lord levels? Either way sounds like a fair ability to me.

Garmorn

Explorer
TheStiegler said:

I think using a different set of bonuses for the second animal might be a little confusing for some people. I see that as why WotC changed the Druid's ability in the first place, so that the Druid has one animal, not a herd. One extra with the same powers as the first would be fine though. So, one with three bonus levels, or two at a level equal to the Druid+Animal Lord levels? Either way sounds like a fair ability to me.

Why not go with a second companion. WoTC did that as a feat for familars in Tome and Blood. I don't think as a class feature it would be over powering.

tmaaas

First Post
Have the Animal Bond ability grant multiple animal companions:

For example,

Lvl 1: A second animal companion as per a Druid three levels less.
Lvl 2: A third animal companion as per a Druid six levels less.
Lvl 4: A fourth animal companion as per a Druid nine levels less.
Lvl 6: A fifth animal companion as per a Druid twelve levels less (min 1).
Lvl 8: A sixth animal companion as per a Druid fifteen levels less (min 1).
Lvl 10: A seventh animal companion as per a Druid eighteen levels less (min 1).

Druid/Animal Lord levels stack for pursposes of determining animal companion special abilities.

Thus, a Druid 6/Animal Lord 1 could have two companions (per Druid levels 7 and 4, respectively).

A Druid 10/Animal Lord 10 could have four companions (per Druid levels 20, 17, 14, 11, 8, 5, and 2).

As the Animal Lord gains levels, he gets more companions, but each one is progressively weaker.

Alternatively, if you want the Animal Lord to have a lot of companions, you could let the Animal Lord double the number of companions (stackable) for every three effective Druid levels lower they are.

So, a Druid 6/Animal Lord 1 could have:
One level 7 animal companion, or
Two level 4 animal companions, or
Four level 1 animal companions.

A Druid 10/Animal Lord 10 could have:
One level 20 animal companion, or
Two level 17 animal companions, or
Four level 14 animal companions, or
Eight level 11 animal companions, or
Sixteen level 8 animal companions, or
Thirty-two level 5 animal companions, or
Sixty-four level 2 animal companions.

For a little more freedom, allow some mix or match:
Druid 6/Animal Lord 1 with:
One level 7 animal companion, or
Two level 4 animal companions, or
One level 4 and two level 1 animal companions, or
Four level 1 animal companions.

Disclaimer: I give no assurances that any of the above is balanced. But with a little work, it probably could be. E.g., double the number of companions every five instead of three reduced levels of effectiveness.

Last edited:

TheStiegler

First Post
12 levels? Where?

I realized that adding Animal Affinity makes it impossible for even a Human to take this class until 7th level. For some reason I thought the Animal Lord has two base requirement feats in addition to the species-specific. I'm going to drop the Animal Affinity feat requirement.

I think the extra companion is better than the bonus to the one. But I think having so many animals with so many different bonuses would get very confusing. And, simply for the sake of the other players, it's best not to be an army all by yourself. This is why the Animal Companion ability was changed in the first place, I'm assuming. If half of combat is taken up by me describing what my polar bear with 13 levels and my brown bears with 10, 7 and 4 respectively and my dire bear with 1...you get the idea. I know I do, In our last campaign we had a Psion who specialized in Astral Constructs. By 18th level he could get out at least a dozen, each of which had special abilities that he had to roll for, or multiple attacks, and then there were the bonuses based on his prestige classes (Astral Zealot and Constructor). He literally took minutes just to get through one creatures abilities too. We eventually just started ruling them as a group acting in unison to pacify the other players.

I like the idea of having one or two powerful creatures. Should I add the +3 effective Druid levels for the companions as a higher level ability? Say 5th level or so? Or maybe make it the +3 at 1st level then at 5th add a second animal, then at 10th a third? Something to setup an obvious Epic progression.

I think some of this might have to do with the type of animal you specialize in. In my case, I'm focused on bears. But bears are big. So one or two is certainly more power than even three or four snakes or dolphins. An army of snakes, or riding dogs is not much of a power problem, but it's also kinda silly to me. But that's a taste thing. Ooh...how about a customizable ability....at 1st, 5th, 10th, etc. you get to pick whether you get an extra animal, or all your animals get +3 effective Druid levels? I think I like that.

drnuncheon

Explorer
We've got an Animal Lord in our party, but he came in from ranger, so I think we have a different perspective.

For instance, I don't think the summon ability needs to be changed at all - sure, the druid can summon spontaneously, but hey, it's a free spell slot.

Since animal companions are based on class level, not character level, the best way to handle them is to have animal lord levels act as druid levels for purposes of your companion (who must be of your selected animal group, of course.) With the new benefits to an animal companion, I don't think it needs to be any better. If you do, I'd add a second companion of equal level to the first rather than any funky scheme of lesser benefits.

As for requirements, the Wilderness Lore requirement becomes a Survival requirement, and the ranks in Animal Empathy should become either just the Wild Empathy class feature or Wild Empathy + ranks in Handle Animal.

J

TheStiegler

First Post
Thanks for the advice. It looks like the changes are going to be:

Requirements: Augmented Summoning and Handle Animal 6.

Spells: +1 to caster level at levels 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 10.

Animal Bond: +3 effective Druid levels OR one (1) extra animal at levels 1, 5 and 10. Druid and Animal Lord levels stack. Can only get animals from your chosen group.

Pretty simple actually. When I first looked at it I thought the class was totally mangled by 3.5 (Not that I don't like 3.5, I do. I just thought it changed more here than it did.)

Now...how about the Tamer of Beasts? :D

Remove ads