D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Clairaudience / Clairvoyance

mo

First Post
Interesting to note that the range of this spell has gone from 'distance is not a factor' to 400ft + 40ft/lvl. That is a pretty substantial revision.

On another note, I would be interested to know how people out there rule on the magic sensor this spell creates. Can it be seen to other?

Thanks

mo

Olive

Explorer
I'd guess that the sensor is visible, as it seems a bit odd for a 2nd level spell to be more powerful in that sense than scry.

Olive

Explorer
Interestingly enought, I have now figured out the answer. The sensor, despite what the spell description says, isn't invisable. It's subject to the same chance of being seen as scrying as it is classified as a divination [scrying] spell, and the chances to see the sensor are described int he magic section whih describes the various subtypes. So now I know... and so I'm posting it here so that you know as well.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Olive said:
Interestingly enought, I have now figured out the answer. The sensor, despite what the spell description says, isn't invisable.
Not to stir the pot or anything, but I believe that when a general rule and a specific spell come into conflict, the specific spell takes precendence. That is, if Clairaudience/Clairvoyance says the sensor is invisible, then it's invisible, despite the general rules that other divination [scrying] spells might follow.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Scrying sensors are invisible.

The section on Divination [Scrying] that Olive is referencing opens with : "A scrying spell creates an invisible magical sensor that sends you information."

However, Invisibility has never been a bar to the possibility of noticing something. Remember the DC 20 Spot check to detect the presence of an invisible creature...

Both Scry and Clairvoyance create invisible sensors that are noticed on a DC20 Intelligence check.

-Hyp.

Olive

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
Both Scry and Clairvoyance create invisible sensors that are noticed on a DC20 Intelligence check.

-Hyp.

Had I been writing the books I would have used the word 'sensed' instead of 'noticed'. I'm goign to describe this as 'you sense you are being watched/listened too"...

Still not sure why they changed the range. I mean long is long enought that it often may as well be infinite.

Magnetic Field

First Post
Well in 3.0 there's nothing to stop you placing the sensor, say "five miles directly above me" and getting an aerial view.

As stated, distance is not a factor, and I think the location qualifies as "an obvious one".

Maybe this is what they are trying to prevent.

Olive

Explorer
Magnetic Field said:
As stated, distance is not a factor, and I think the location qualifies as "an obvious one".

But distance IS a factor for role playing seer types. Maybe I'll just make a greater clairevouance spell which has the unlimmited range for my next campaign. For this campaign, we're more or less leaving spells that have already been selected as they are.

Remove ads