D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Monsters without Savage Species

Melkor

Explorer
From a previous thread, I noticed that there were some inconsistencies between Savage Species and the 3.5 Monster Manual. I haven't read the 3.5 DMG (or the section on creatures with character levels in the 3.5 MM).

My question is, do you miss anything important found in Savage Species if you use ONLY the 3.5 Core books (and not Savage Species) when creating monster characters ?

gfunk

First Post
Melkor said:
My question is, do you miss anything important found in Savage Species if you use ONLY the 3.5 Core books (and not Savage Species) when creating monster characters ?

One of the most important things Savage Species allows one to do is to play a monstrous PC from 1st level. If you don't want to do that (e.g. you want to start a monstrous PC at higher than 1st level), then you can get by without too much difficulty. Just follow the ECL guidlines in the 3.5 Monster Manual.

BTW, I loved you in XXX and The Boiler Room!

Melkor

Explorer
gfunk said:
One of the most important things Savage Species allows one to do is to play a monstrous PC from 1st level. If you don't want to do that (e.g. you want to start a monstrous PC at higher than 1st level), then you can get by without too much difficulty. Just follow the ECL guidlines in the 3.5 Monster Manual.

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell what is missing out of the 3.5 Monster Manual (that is included in Savage Species) that mentions starting a first level monstrous PC ? I was looking through Savage Species, and I am not finding a reference.

Soldarin

First Post
You'll be missing the Monster Class idea from SS. So, except for starting monster PCs at levels lower than their ECL value, you won't miss a thing.

The monster class thing is basically spreading all monster advantages (including HD, so some levels do not grant you one of those) over a number of monster class levels equal to ECL. No multiclassing until you have all of these levels.

edit: typos.

Last edited:

gfunk

First Post
Melkor said:
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell what is missing out of the 3.5 Monster Manual (that is included in Savage Species) that mentions starting a first level monstrous PC ?

Look in the Appendix, it lists several monster races that are playable from 1st level. Also, the front of the book (Ch. 1) describes rules for deconstructing monsters and spreading out their abilities over several levels for balance.

BTW, I loved you in Pitch Black!

Remove ads