• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Mounted Combat, Where is the Rider?

Murrdox

First Post
Yup.

At the same time, he TAKES UP more space as well. So if things get crowded (unlikely since he's on a horse... you usually don't delve into dungeons mounted, but stay with me here) it will be much easier for his movement to provoke attacks of opportunity. He can also have many more enemies surround him.

With these issues in mind, I think the fact that your Paladin gets a larger threatened area is balanced nicely with making him a much larger target at the same time. ;)

Christian

Explorer
Makes perfect sense to me. The idea behind the 10'x10' facing for the horse is that it's constantly moving and turning through that space during the course of a round of combat. So at some point during the round, the rider will be in any given 5'x5' square, and can attack/be attacked by figures in squares adjacent to it.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I guess I will need to wait on the books to get a proper answer but what happens now with spell effects that have a range where it covers only 5x10 of the 10x10 area. Will there be arguments that the rider is actually in the non-effected 5x10 part or is he considered to be in all of the 10x10 area at once and therefore effected. If he can threaten from any of the 10x10 area he should be in range if any of the 10x10 area is in range. What if two ranged spells are sent from different dirrections each effecting different 5x10 areas of the 10x10 whole. Will the rider be effected by both? he is really only 5x5 and should only be effected by one logically, but he does occupy all 4 squares when it comes to threatning adjacent squares.

Belbarrus

First Post
So, the rider takes up the 10 x 10 area as well and can be targeted in any of those squares? Let's say, for example, I cast a Magic Missile at the rider and he is far enough away that my spell will only reach one of the first 2 squares the mount occupies. Can the rider claim that he is seated in one of the 'farther' two squares and be out of range or does he occupy the same 4 squares the mount does?

Inquiring minds need to know! :)

kreynolds

First Post
Belbarrus said:
Can the rider claim that he is seated in one of the 'farther' two squares and be out of range or does he occupy the same 4 squares the mount does?

No, because for simplicity, he's sharing the mount's space, which is 10x10. :D

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Belbarrus said:
So, the rider takes up the 10 x 10 area as well and can be targeted in any of those squares? Let's say, for example, I cast a Magic Missile at the rider and he is far enough away that my spell will only reach one of the first 2 squares the mount occupies. Can the rider claim that he is seated in one of the 'farther' two squares and be out of range or does he occupy the same 4 squares the mount does?

Inquiring minds need to know! :)

Dm reply "ok the magic missile missed you and hit the horse - the horse stumbled and rolled causing you to bang into the ground before it righted itself- happy" :D

(actually I was thinking of making a mount and rider a single 'creature' for stat purposes (merging HP, AC etc)- this further supports that notion)

Remove ads