D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Power Attack and a whip

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
In 3.5 a whip is a one-handed melee weapon with 15' reach, that does not threaten any squares and provokes AoOs as a ranged weapon would.

In 3.5 Power Attack can be used on any weapon that is not a Light weapon.

So, in 3.5 you can Power Attack with a whip... from 15' away.

Who needs spring attack? Just Power Attack a big whip-lash, then 5' step away (preferably behind a fellow party member). Bonus: you can Full Attack, since you're only taking a 5' step. But, wow, if you had spring attack you'd be able to deal out serious damage with little fear of reprisal.

Just thought I'd post this interesting combo. It's not too useful for regular whips (since those deal only Subdual damage, and only to unarmored opponents) but it's pretty powerful for a Whip Dagger. Imagine a 2nd level human Bard/Fighter with a Mighty Whip Dagger, large spiked shield, and the Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, and Hold the Line feats. He'll power-attack-whip you for decent damage, then get a free attack if you charge him.

-z

Mike Sullivan

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
Just thought I'd post this interesting combo. It's not too useful for regular whips (since those deal only Subdual damage, and only to unarmored opponents) but it's pretty powerful for a Whip Dagger. Imagine a 2nd level human Bard/Fighter with a Mighty Whip Dagger, large spiked shield, and the Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, and Hold the Line feats. He'll power-attack-whip you for decent damage, then get a free attack if you charge him.

Uh, he'll Power Attack you for, at most, 1 add'l point of damage, there, hoss. Since his BAB is, you know, +1, and you can't PA for more than your BAB.

Sure, by the time he's a Bard 1/Fighter 3, he could do the same trick for +3 damage, but at that point, a Fighter 4 could have Weapon Focus: Glaive, Dodge, Mobility, Power Attack, and Spring Attack, (plus Combat Reflexes if human), and walk up to 10 feet away from you, PA you for up to +8 damage with his Glaive, and then step 5' back so that when you charged him (or just moved up next to him), he'd still get an AoO against you because of his Reach.

Technik4

First Post
The whip is the combo, not the bard. A ftr4 can take exotic weapon prof with whip, then play both games detailed above. :)

Technik

Mike Sullivan

First Post
Technik4 said:
The whip is the combo, not the bard. A ftr4 can take exotic weapon prof with whip, then play both games detailed above. :)

Sure, I know.

What I don't understand is why you'd bother? Zarathustran identifies it as "pretty powerful," because of Power Attack. I'm pointing out that Power Attack is pretty much useless at low levels, because of BAB limits. By the time you get to 4th level, you can get the same number of "extra" attacks with a Glaive and Spring Attack, which both gives you a far more favorable Power Attack and seems to me to be a better weapon in general.

Remove ads