D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5]small druids???

Darklone

Can someone point me to some probably utterly obvious penalties for small sized druids? Most spells I've seen (Flame Blade for example) seem to be the same for both common player char sizes (ok, not shillelagh).

What about wildshape? Polymorph is now HD restricted rather than size...

Edit: Alter self still has the within one size category restriction... does this apply to polymorph too?

Last edited:

Wippit Guud

First Post
Just the same penalties every small character gets.

Wildshape gives the sizes allowed in the desciption as they level, the caster's size is irrelevant.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Heh - I've been an advocate of Gnome and Halfling Druids ever since 3rd edition came out. :) Actually, it seems to be better to be a spellcaster if you are a small race than it is to be a more physical type, because a damage spell is a damage spell, whether you are Tiny or Gargantuan.

jgsugden

Legend
A few (minor) penalties come to mind:

1.) Power Attack is a quality feat for druids. Some of the larger forms have great amounts of strength which allow you to benefit from power attack. In order to take it, you need a strength of 13. Most small forms have a -2 (or -4) to strength which makes it hard to hit the prerequisites. Cleave and great cleave are also good choices for a druid, and you need power attack to get those.

2.) Carrying capacity is also reduced. This makes little difference when all that heavy equipment melds into your wildshape form, but when in humanoid form, that can really hit hard. Carrying around staves or other heavy objects can be difficult.

Darklone

Wippit Guud said:
Just the same penalties every small character gets.

Wildshape gives the sizes allowed in the desciption as they level, the caster's size is irrelevant.

Woah... that's tough.

Remove ads