D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Striking Cover

Arksorn

First Post
In 3.0 it was standard rules that if your target was behind cover and you missed due to the cover you might strike the cover.

In 3.5 it appears that striking cover has been made a variant rule and you can now fire through allies that provide cover without worry of hitting them.

Does anyone have any other references that contradict this?

3.5 PHB p150
3.5 DMG p24

nsruf

First Post
No, that seems to be it. I just noticed it yesterday, i.e. that striking cover had gone from the PHB combat section. Haven't gotten to the DMG part yet.

Another thing that seems to be missing is the partial charge (useful for surprise round), or am I just blind?

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
It stipulates that you can charge just your movement (instead of twice movement) and make one attack as a standard action, only when that is all that is available to you (so no moving then charging). I think this is under the charge entry.

nsruf

First Post
Darklone said:
no partial action, no partial charge.

:rolleyes:

A standard action in 3.5 is exactly the same as a partial action in 3.0. So the maneuver could still be there as a way to allow move+attack in a surprise round.

[Edit: Chris, that's what I was looking for and couldn't find it. There is a general remark that you can sometimes do a full-round action in place of a standard action, but nothing specific regarding charging. Maybe I'm just blind;)]

But back to your scheduled topic...

Last edited:

Remove ads